View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Kiara's lameness came and went, only really showed up when she'd 'overdone' it.

After some rest and metatcam she was using her leg as usual then after walkies and a rest the lameness returned

That's why initially they thought it was arthritis. Only the x-rays showed up a cruicate issue
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Personally Lynn Igiven the situation, and him being back to normal, I would be airing on the side of caution, and hold off the x rays. If he continues to be lame then investigate further, but what harm will it do if you hold on the investigation for a while, as long as you monitor his exersice for a while, do you really want to put such a young dog under anaesthetic if it's not needed. This is just my opinion, you must do what you feel if right..but I think I would give it at least week before I booked him in.

Mind you can always cancel if you do go a head and book him in.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Personally Lynn Igiven the situation, and him being back to normal, I would be airing on the side of caution, and hold off the x rays. If he continues to be lame then investigate further, but what harm will it do if you hold on the investigation for a while, as long as you monitor his exersice for a while, do you really want to put such a young dog under anaesthetic if it's not needed. This is just my opinion, you must do what you feel if right..but I think I would give it at least week before I booked him in.

He has 5 days of Rymadil and I see what you are saying but I have a feeling it may take a week before we get him in there anyway.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

30-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Sorry but I disagree. Why hold off X-rays when it is obvious that there is a problem, albeit [and hopefully] just a minor one? Surely it is better to test and find out earlier sooner than later?

Over 40 years later I am still haunted by the knowledge that I was told "hold off and wait and see" and "she will probably grown out of it".

Oh if only someone had listened way back then.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

30-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Sorry but I disagree. Why hold off X-rays when it is obvious that there is a problem, albeit [and hopefully] just a minor one? Surely it is better to test and find out earlier sooner than later?

Over 40 years later I am still haunted by the knowledge that I was told "hold off and wait and see" and "she will probably grown out of it".

Oh if only someone had listened way back then.
That's fine as I said its only my opinion on what I would do,

Going on Lynn's first post ( which is the one I read) and Dillon seemingly was fine the next day, then I would wait and see.

It's what I would do, not what Lynn should do.
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:43 AM
I respectfully disagree as well.

His improvement today could be down to his medication, or it could be that the ligament is damaged but not too severely. You'll need it fixed anyway - or an x-ray showing that actually it wasn't the cruciate at all.

With him being a BMD, I'd go with caution and get the scans done. I'll hold my fingers that it isn't his cruciate, but we don't want to antagonize the problem, and if your vet manipulated the knee it is very easy to diagnose a cruciate problem. It's one of the first things I train our interns to do (although obviously it's verified by a qualified person until they are qualified themselves.)

I hope the big lad gets an appointment soon and it's all straight-forward.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Personally, I would see how he goes over the weekend. If there are no further signs, then ring Anita and discuss it with her for her views and possible further examination.

Pain killers and adrenaline rush at seeing his people this morning could well have overridden any pain so give it time before making any decisions.

I saw Sam jump about like a two year old when an adrenaline rush kicked in, only to suffer for it later in the day (HD and arthritis).
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2012, 11:05 AM
JB I do see what you are sayng and respect it too. I am reluctant to put him under anesthetic big dog very young a worry for big breeds even when adults.

But I am going on Anitas experience she did a thorough examination of the knee and compared it with the left knee and was satisfied there was a great deal of difference between them. I am hoping that maybe for x-ray it will be heavy sedation that will then clear up any worries Gorden and I have. We will not be getting him in over the weekend I wouldn't think so it will give us a few more days to monitor the situation and if we feel he has improved a great deal maybe open up the discussion again it can even be discussed at the vet school I am sure knowing them from their care with Ollie they will be looking for other ways if they can find them to hopefully resolve the solution if there is another way.

He is back to resting again like he was yesterday and I am doing as I was told and keeping him moving for short spurts so he doesn't seize up he is a lot better than yesterday but is now beginning to look a little lame/stiff again on the leg especially after resting.

There is a problem but a few days may or may not give us more options but I must do the investigation thing if he is still like this iwhen the appointment comes through we would never forgive ourselves if it was his cruciate and it wasn't fixed.

We have every faith in the RVC Potters Bar that they will do what is necessary but not do something if they feel it isn't needed. It is still in the balance but if the experts at the RVC say x-ray and op upon examination then thats how it will go.

I have rung his insurance company and given them the heads up and said it might be only x-ray or possibly op as well they are sending claim forms for me and will pay direct. She said they have a data base of 1000's of dogs and it is not as uncommon as the vet thought in a young dog and the ones they have paid out on have made good recoveries. I expect in the scheme of things in a small vets it is uncommon in young dogs. You know we will only do what is best for him as we did for Ollie no uneccessary treatment if not required but done if he does.

Thanks for all your input and suport once again. I am taking it all in and I respect each and every ones opinions.

Thank goodness for £10,000 lifetime cover.
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2012, 11:09 AM
It really isn't uncommon in young dogs. Probably around 40% of the dogs I see are young - and yes, they usually make fantastic recoveries.

Like you said, they won't put him under if they don't think its necessary. Your vet sounds experienced and knowledgeable - I'm glad she didn't suggest crate rest as a solution, we've heard a lot of that lately and it makes our jobs 10x harder!

I'm hoping it will be a very slight amount of damage, where keyhole surgery may be a possibility - although you might need to be good with blood for that!

All the best,
E x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
It really isn't uncommon in young dogs. Probably around 40% of the dogs I see are young - and yes, they usually make fantastic recoveries.

Like you said, they won't put him under if they don't think its necessary. Your vet sounds experienced and knowledgeable - I'm glad she didn't suggest crate rest as a solution, we've heard a lot of that lately and it makes our jobs 10x harder!

I'm hoping it will be a very slight amount of damage, where keyhole surgery may be a possibility - although you might need to be good with blood for that!

All the best,
E x
Why would I have to be good with blood for the keyhole I won't be doing it will I ?

When I said to rest him she said well within reason he has to be kept moving not silly exercise so we are not doing our 20 mins on the field which is the norm but he has been to the front garden with me to feed the birds not far and only down the side of the house but it gves him something to do and he can potter on the grass. He is moving around the house and I am trying to slow him down when he goes a bit loopy. I don't think he would like being in a crate all the time anyway. So thank goodness she didn't suggest it.
He likes to be able to lay in the garden and sleep or just watch the birds, bees and butterflies.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »