Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
There was a guy on a group I frequent & he quite ingeniously built an enclosure at the back of his house over/around the window. It is a square area, made of wood & wire, he even has the litter trays outside in it. PLUS and imthought this was clever, the whole thing is on four wheels, so you can push it to one side to get in to clean the litter trays. He has it covered on top which is ideal for hot sunny days and wet days. Cats go in and out of a cat flap in the window, although prior to,that it was thru the window. He has two heavy planters at the front to hold the whole thing in place. When you move, you can take it with you.

When we go out ourselves, the cats are indoors. They only get out into the run when we are there
That sounds good! Is there pics on the group? If yes would you mind PMing me the group details? I'll have a talk to my dad, he trained as a joiner so is very good at building things for me, he did both my rabbit runs and they are great.

Pippam she was 18months when I got her two years ago, I think I put that in my first post.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I have had one cat that was very, very street smart and only his aging body meant he had to stay in. I have also had a dog poisoned on purpose in the past so do not trust people tbh.

Then theres the two that arrived wild, after plenty time they are now very domesticated. one is fine staying in. the other has to or she goes back to the old house. If nobody was there she could easily get herself in trouble as I have had to go into someones garage while they were still gone three days after they left and get her (she was dehydrated, who knows how much worse it could have been)

Then I have a cat who has always been a house cat and has sneaked out before... NO STREET SENSE WHATSOEVER! (found him in someones garden screaming his head off scared...)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Also seen the cat in the second paragraph climbing into engine bays...
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 03:07 PM
My cat goes out quite alot, sometimes in summer she doesnt return for 3/4 days at a time and it does worry me.

It sounds as though a run may be the best idea...even if you cant make it so that she can have access from the house you could still carry her out there and just let her stay in there whilst you are home...that way you dont have to worry about doors being closed and at the same time she gets to see and do something different.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2012, 04:19 PM
We have two cats, they were indoor cats at first, but we decided to eventually let them out...and trust me - it is SO much better!

They would get bored, fight, rip the sofa, scratch the carpet....argh!

When we first let them out we were worried about all the same things you are. But in all honesty, their smarter than you think. They know where their bread is buttered.

We started by letting them out 30 minutes before dinner time. So then when we called them back (shaking the brekkies) they would come running because they were hungry...so maybe try this to start with until it gets your confidence up? xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2