Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
So really I cannot answer your OP because it is like the 500 year old axe which has had umpteen new handles and umpteen new heads but is still 500 years old.
Don't know if you've ever watched 'only fools and horses', but that so reminded me of Trigger with his broom
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Every year or so!
OH and I both build them ourselves, so upgrade parts as and when needed, or when something new and faster is released!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Every year or so!
OH and I both build them ourselves, so upgrade parts as and when needed, or when something new and faster is released!
Yes - I just get the Geek Son round and he advises and I get it built for me.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Don't know if you've ever watched 'only fools and horses', but that so reminded me of Trigger with his broom
I know, and it did not even answer Azz's OP, did it! But that is why I got Effie [who is the son-in-law of friends I have known for over 26 years] to build my first ever computer. It means that instead of replacing an off-the-shelf one every X years, Effie does what Hevvur and her OH do, ie upgrade/replace parts as and when needed.

And of course I always get the loan computer [big ugly thing that it is] if he has to take mine, knowing that he will reformat the hard drive on it to remove my stuff as soon as he gets it back.

Oh, and Pereg adores him, especially as he has quite detailed conversations with her!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a macbook that is about 5 years old now? I bought it in the states when the exchange rate was amazing so cost me £400! It's getting a bit awkward now, but the best thing about macs is the aftercare, spilt some Dr Pepper on it last xmas and took it in and went I SPILT DR PEPPER ON IT AND ITS BROKEN. Gave me a coffee, 20 mins later, laptop working and had a new keyboard, cost me nothing.

Will probably get a new one in octobery time though.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Our main family PC is 2007/8 'vintage'. Still going very strong! I guess that's partly because I use it as a server for our home network more than anything else. (Virtual machine host, file/print server etc.) I guess servers have a much longer lifespan than desktop PCs. I tend to use my netbook bought last year as my main (client) machine. My 'web server'/secondary PC is around 10 years old.

In short, I replace or fix 'em when they break! If they start to struggle running the latest apps/operating system then I install a lighter alternative to give 'em a new lease of life. (It's only my web server that could be accused of running anything 'light' at the moment. It's got openSUSE with an LXDE desktop installed.)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Our main family PC is 2007/8 'vintage'. Still going very strong! I guess that's partly because I use it as a server for our home network more than anything else. (Virtual machine host, file/print server etc.) I guess servers have a much longer lifespan than desktop PCs. I tend to use my netbook bought last year as my main (client) machine. My 'web server'/secondary PC is around 10 years old.

In short, I replace or fix 'em when they break! If they start to struggle running the latest apps/operating system then I install a lighter alternative to give 'em a new lease of life. (It's only my web server that could be accused of running anything 'light' at the moment. It's got openSUSE with an LXDE desktop installed.)
Oh hell, I didn't even understand 90% of that answer.......
dotcom
New Member!
Male 

01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
We have an old computer at were i worked about 20 years old, it did have a new monitor and keyboard but the strange thing we never turned the computer off only for power cuts and P.A.T. testing, we used it for internet and word, no games alowed.
Sadly it has gone to the tip now as we had a re-dec last year.
It was a well known make to began with D and ended with L.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Think it was early 2004 I got my pc, built by me and my dad, and worth it as its ok even now, but means I could always upgrade or change if I needed to BUT I have a laptop now so I don't really use it. I'm now thinking of keeping it to back up and edit photos n stuff. That way if I let someone use the laptop, I can still use my pc for photos, videos, games.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Every 4 years or so but we don't actually use it
Much as we are in iphones/pods. Wondering whether to get a laptop next time instead.... What do people think?! Worried about photo storage really.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >