View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Years ago I was told by my vet to give them some hard boiled eggs with the shell once a week... it did help my pyrenean at the time... just crush the shell really well and put it in the food...
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2012, 10:27 AM
We had anal gland issues a couple of years ago with one of ours. He has a sensitive digestion anyway so I find he does best on few ingredients. He's doing really well now fed mostly raw.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Tilly had anal gland issues, I switched her to TOTW fish and potato and for her it has been a Godsend - no more issues at all! that is 7 months ago.

Her poop is smaller, harder and alot less!! so it was a great success for her!!

Good luck getting it sorted though, it is a nasty nasty thang!!
Thank you I was considering TOTW when looking at grain free kibble, the price put me off. It would be more than worth it though if it sorted the problem out!

Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
Years ago I was told by my vet to give them some hard boiled eggs with the shell once a week... it did help my pyrenean at the time... just crush the shell really well and put it in the food...
Good tip, thanks, will certainly give it a go as I haven't tried this one yet.

Originally Posted by bint View Post
We had anal gland issues a couple of years ago with one of ours. He has a sensitive digestion anyway so I find he does best on few ingredients. He's doing really well now fed mostly raw.
Thanks for the input, it's very helpful to hear what has worked for other dogs
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2012, 11:54 AM
You can try a spoonful of natural brand in the food which seems to help some. My terrier had this problem and I give her a raw carrot every day (grate into food if your dog won't eat them raw). I also give a measure of protexin Pro-fibre which the vet recommended (cheapest off Ebay) and we have had no problems for months now. She was really bad having them emptied at the vets, (it took three to hold her) so trying anything was better than having to have them emptied regularly.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I've tried the bran and raw carrot tricks, without success He does love carrots though so he gets them anyway
I will look into the Protexin Pro-fibre.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Cain had some anal gland issues, however since switching to raw it isn't a problem any more. I'm convinced the more solid poos that raw produce, help naturally clear the anal glands. Maybe if you can't feed raw full time, just try supplimenting with chicken wings? The bone will hopefully help. Raw carrots also help Cain, pity that didn't work for you.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2012, 11:18 AM
It seems to be not just solid poos that are needed but more bulky ones which is why the carrot etc. is supposed to help. My terrier girl tended to have small solid poos always, never soft or loose but with the carrot and pro-fibre the poos are more bulky and I assume that is what has helped.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm surprised to read that this is such an issue. Might be worth mentioning to any new dog owners looking in that not every dog has a problem with this and some never do.

I've only ever had one dog that had a problem with it and that was just one time when she was about 6 years old and after being on medication that made her stools runny for weeks and weeks. I'd taken her to the vet coz she was 'scooting on the floor'. Vet squeezed them out and told me that if their stools are hard enough they usually manage to keep their glands clear themselves at the same time as they strain to poo?

Never had a problem with it with any of my old GSDs, and not with the 2 yr old min pin I have now and she is easy to check for it - her bum being clearly on show!

I used to think when I saw dogs doing the bum scooting thing that they had itchy bums from worms! Mine didn't do it so I'd never asked about it until that one time I had a dog that did.

Really surprised to read that some dogs need this seen to every few weeks?
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Good to know, thanks Am madly researching raw feeding now!

Bless her, poor Kestral and your poor sofa

For Gelert I pay £10 for a vet nurse to do it - no consultation fee. Not too bad when it's every six to eight weeks as it has been but could get silly if it's more often.
Vets here charge the cost of a consultation for emptying anal glands. - £35 or £29.50 depending which Vet you go to.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Owwwww much?!
Blimey, at that price I'd definitely be donning my own latex gloves!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »