View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2012, 02:37 PM
aw wow didnt realise they were rare, iam going to get up extra early tomoz and take my camera see if iam lucky enough to see him again. i hope it is a long eared owl it was defently big so fingers crossed!!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 02:46 PM
If you have heard it, have a look on the RSPB's bird identifier pages as it has audio clips of their calls.

Helen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Did you manage to see him?

Helen
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
no i didnt but last night my boyfriend went up to the top of the garden and seen him fly out of the tree where he must live, he said it was quite big but it was too dark to make out his features i will try tomorrow morning!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I saw a short eared owl last year and have seen it again two or three times this year, but am never quick enough to get a photo. Very annoying!

We do have a few barn owls in the vicinity, and do have the odd pic of them.

I hope you manage to identify your owl
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I am very intrigued!! Lol.

Helen
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 10:17 PM
I am intrigued too........if the wingspan was that big then surely it can only be an Eagle Owl? The ear tufts would fit. I hope that you don't have any small furries, because they will be gone
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If you have heard it, have a look on the RSPB's bird identifier pages as it has audio clips of their calls.
Yes that's a great idea - they are all different.

Not sure about now, but up until a few weeks ago, the male Tawny owls were making their winter territorial calls - Wuhoohoohoooo... hooo hooo.... There has been one near me I have heard calling every night since November.

When they have paired up they do the Too wit-too woo which is the male & female calling to one another.

Not sure I know what an Eagle Owl's call is like though!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Had to look that one up in the Birds of the Western Paleartic! They do sometimes stay in pairs throughout the year and I know we have been hearing them both at the moment, although it could well be we are near the breeding season. It says the BWP that they start laying from end of February onwards.

They also do the contact call which is a kewick.

We have them breeding around here, which is great, although I did have a youngster sat on the velux window one night! lol. It was peering in and then slid down the window.

The eagle owl's call is a sort of booming. Very distinctive.

Helen
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2012, 08:21 PM
i dont think it would be an eagle owl , well i hope not right opposite the tree is where i keep my chickens! and two of them are pekins. i am going to have a listen of some calls now on the rspb its all really intresting.
didnt see him this morning but i didnt get up untill 7am so probaly to late
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >