Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Bread's a killer for birds, including ducks. As you say, much better to feed stuff that the RSPB recommends such as you list above.

I use the Song Bird and Robin food from Pets at Home, meal worms when I can afford them, peanuts, fat balls ... and most importantly, plenty of clean, fresh water, especially when it is frozen solid on these cold, frosty mornings.

I hope your young blackbird survives the winter ... we had a nest of house sparrows in our garage roof who have only just fledged ... I doubt they will survive, but all I can do is to give them a helping hand
porrige oats is a good one to put in feeders as it doesnt spill quite so much as seed does.

I think he will survive he looked in good condition very large he looked well fed at least probably an only surviver.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes idiotic people feeding vermin! One chicken carcass was gobbled up by a GSD puppy a few days ago by me. Poor soul, he is dead now, of a ruptured stomach and intestines. The stuff was thrown into bushes along with other crap. Another dog there on the same walk also ate some, but she was thankfully ok.
Few years ago someone went through a phase of throwing their chicken carcass's over the fence every sunday afternoon into the playing field where lots of dogs are walked.It was hell trying to keep a greedy dog away from it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 11:48 AM
People feeding foxes INFURIATE me. For a long time we had someone putting old dog/cat food on the road outside our house. It meant that every time we opened the door, our dogs tried to bolt out which is obviously dangerous. I also caught our cats and other local cats eating it. When we found out who it was, we asked them to stop and they did.

We now have an older couple who do the same thing (put old dried cat/dog food out) at the end of my road, on a grass verge on the pavement. I left them a note asking if they would do it in their back garden because my dogs were lunging trying to get to it if we walked past. I think they put it out later in the evening now so it isn't bad. But it is still on the public footpath.

Then there is also a house who has put several cooked chicken carcasses out on the public footpath which borders a field. My dogs have got them twice. I was FUMING. I tried knocking on the door to explain, but they either were not in or ignored me. HOW can anyone be so stupid and thoughtless to leave cooked chicken carcasses where dogs are going to be off lead? I now have to avoid that route in the evening.

Selfish people. People can feed whatever they want in their private back gardens, but why do it in public where you have no idea what is eating it?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Is it actually legal to leave stuff like that out? Is it classed as littering? Wonder if Environmental Health would like to hear about it?

Helen
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I cant imagine coocked chicken carcasses being any better for foxes than dogs....
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 01:42 PM
This is the park by our house that we use when we cant go far from home for a walk, and the park is surrounded on some sides by blocks of flats, some of which dont have a fenced in garden area, so the land is just part of the park. I have taken now to walking the whole area with the dogs so that i can spot what is there and do something about it, i picked up the mints and took them to the bin, but have considered speaking with the council about food littering, it isnt nice having the mouldy remains of whatever (and boy do they put some funny things out), sitting in a field that people use regularly.

Either that or i may just make an official looking notice and do a leaflet drop!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
porrige oats is a good one to put in feeders as it doesnt spill quite so much as seed does.

I think he will survive he looked in good condition very large he looked well fed at least probably an only surviver.
Ah, porridge oats, that sounds like a good idea.

Hope the little guy makes it!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
This is the park by our house that we use when we cant go far from home for a walk, and the park is surrounded on some sides by blocks of flats, some of which dont have a fenced in garden area, so the land is just part of the park. I have taken now to walking the whole area with the dogs so that i can spot what is there and do something about it, i picked up the mints and took them to the bin, but have considered speaking with the council about food littering, it isnt nice having the mouldy remains of whatever (and boy do they put some funny things out), sitting in a field that people use regularly.

Either that or i may just make an official looking notice and do a leaflet drop!
I suspect you would get loads of complaints if you didn't pick up your dog poo ... yet you have to suffer this food littering. T'aint fair
Shangri-La
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I feed the foxes at my office chicken wings

Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I wish people didn't throw things out for birds. A neighbour across the back throws bread on their shed roof. The gulls take it and poo all over my conservatory! Our next door neighbour was feeding a family of Goldfinches a couple of years ago, but sadly one of my cats got them and ate them. I think there is too high a concentration of cats where I live to feed birds.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >