Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Rich, Yes, problem now is that I was trying to make the Dogsey screen bigger (So I could read it !) and I clicked on 'Full Screen' now I can't get it back to 'normal' size, all the control bars and drop down menus have gone, and the only way I can get out of it is either 'Control/Alt/delete or switch off at the mains grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Looks like I'll have to go back to IE9 and just live with not being able to access 'Todays Posts' and 'New Posts' on Dogsey
Hitting Esc [Escape] on your keyboard will bring it back to normal.

Check your emails and DO NOT PANIC.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-01-2012, 10:00 AM
For me, it was F11 to go full screen and F6 and window restore button in quick succession to get back...

BTW, to make text bigger/smaller hold down the ctrl key and press either + or - for the desired effect.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Hitting Esc [Escape] on your keyboard will bring it back to normal.

Check your emails and DO NOT PANIC.
Sorry Malka I did read your e-mail and I have tried 'escape' and nothing happened.

I have now (In utter desperation ) connected my lap top (First time I've done it on the landline modem) and it has started up OK and I've just discovered that I have IE v8 and everything works, so that just leaves one question regarding IE v9 it is either :-
a) Total cr*p
OR
b) The version the computer shop loaded was an illegal copy

Being the Czech Republic where (sadly) I am forced to live right now I think option (b) above is the most likely, but another web site I use a lot told me today that IEv9 is rubbish and he recommended Chrome.

Since I appear to be 'locked' out on Firefox and can't get back in (unless I do Control/Alt/delete OR switch of at the mains) then I am seriously thinking about Chrome for the desk top.

OR I could just continue to use this lap top 'cos IEv8 appears to have changed very little from XP and I even have my favorites button in the same place, it says FAVORITES (What idiot in Microsoft decided that a little star was better than the word FAVORITES )

Like I was saying before, why change the favorites button I can't in a million years see what they were thinking of when they did that.

I will tell OH that she has bought a load of cr*p from this computer shop AGAIN why does nothing in this dam country work
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
For me, it was F11 to go full screen and F6 and window restore button in quick succession to get back...

BTW, to make text bigger/smaller hold down the ctrl key and press either + or - for the desired effect.
Thanks Rich, but what is the 'windows restore button' ?????

ETA:-
Is it that one next to the 'Control' button that has four squares on that sort of look like the Windows logo

never ever used that one before and I try not to press buttons that I don't know what they do, like I wish I had never tried to enlarge the Dogsey screen in Firefox !!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Harvey - stop panicking! Yes, the keyboard button that looks like the Windows icon could be what Rich means.

But - if you want to get out of where you are, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete - no need to give up on Firefox or Windows 7 or anything.

Just stop panicking!

Nobody taught me anything - I even had to ask Effie how to switch on my first computer let alone how to use it. But trial and error and only a wee bit of panic got me from being a total computer illiterate numpty to a not-quite so computer illiterate little numpty to where I am now.

Wherever that is...
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry, that was a bit vague of me. I meant one of the window resizing buttons whuch should appear when you press F6. Up the top right of your Firefox session, in between minimise and close.

Update. I was talking utter rubbish all along! To go into and out of full screen mode in Firefox, just press the F11 key. One press takes you into full screen mode and another takes you back to normal! Easy when you know how/google it. LOL. ctrl + and ctrl - resizes text but I've now got no idea what F6 was doing in my session...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Rich / Malka

Thank you, (both of you) yes I do tend to panic when things don't go as planned

Actually one good thing has come out of this, namely that I at last got around to hooking up the lap top to the land line modem and it has worked well AND it has IEv8

So I have:-
(a) A back up computer if anything ever goes wrong with the desktop and
(b) An earler version of IE which appears (to me at least) to be a heck of lot better than MS's latest version

I took the dogs for a walk earlier, it's amazing how calming that can be
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Have you stopped panicking yet?

OK - three things.

1 - You have a new computer. It is not the computer you are used to but a different computer, and you have to learn its foibles [for want of a better word].

2 - You are now using Windows 7 and before you were, I think, on XP. They are different. Not much, but different all the same. The first time I came across W7 was on Effie's loan computer, and for 24 hours I hated, loathed, detested and cursed it. Then it just "clicked" in my head and I phoned Effie and asked him to please get W7 for me.

3 - You are now trying to get to grips with Firefox and before you were used to IE. They are different. A LOT different!

Correction - four things. Do not try to run before you can walk. Take it slow and do not panic. Because panicking will get you nowhere fast!

Firefox is simple, easy, has lots of extremely good functions, but you cannot expect to understand everything overnight.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Good job you've got those two gorgeous doglets to get you out of trouble isn't it H!!! If it wasn't for them, I wonder whether you might be on that lappy in a hospital bed in the psycho ward!!! I love my Windows7, and thanks for the warning about IE9 which I have never and will never instal on it now!

You ought to try AOL mate, I remember one time I couldn't even get INto Dogsey let alone see today's posts, and I doubt I still could but I never use their browser now I stick with IE and Google Home page, it's simple like me!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Good job you've got those two gorgeous doglets to get you out of trouble isn't it H!!! If it wasn't for them, I wonder whether you might be on that lappy in a hospital bed in the psycho ward!!!
Oh yes H no doubt about that, we once lived not far from Broadmoor, one day passing near to the hospital we came to a line of traffic, there were two Police men asking each car if they had seen a man (They had a big picture of him and were showing the passenger and driver) so it was a fair bet an inmate had escaped, when they came to our car OH wound the window down and before they could say a word she said "Are you looking for him" pointing to me

I just love to go to Rianna and put my arm around her and talk to her, I'm 100% sure she knows what I am saying
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >