View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 03:16 PM
thats every good reason not to breed ....I like to leave my girls natural LOL is it seasons that worry you ...like the mess etc... only one of mine bleeds a lot on her season a full 23 days , she has been fully vet checked and nothing is wrong she just has heavy seasons but i wouldn't get her spayed ... I have lost a bitch with a pyometra aged 13 a good age for a cavalier ...perhaps ask why you want her done ?? then out weight the fors and againts... a mate of mine had her girl spayed cos it ment twice a year they couldn't go walkies ..not a good enougth reason for me but it was important to her

I know many women who have decided not to have kids but wouldn't dream of having a hysterectomy ....although periods are of no use we still need the effects that the hormones bring ..good luck
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 03:20 PM
well... the only reason i would have her spayed was because i have been told that she would be more likely to contract cancer.
I am a little bit worried about her being in season... as i have never experienced it and dont know how much blood there is!
As for going for a walk? if i dont really see many dogs on my walks.. would i still be able to take her out?

My main concern of course, were the side effects of getting her spayed and not waking up from anesthetic.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 03:23 PM
I personally echo everything that Ozzy has said.
Ultimately, it is your dog and your decision.
Two vets have advised me to wait until my bitch has had her first season before she is spayed as this reduces any risks during anaesthetic. I have cared for 4 bitches post op and have had no problems whatsoever. The way I tend to view it is that there are worse health risks and problems which can occur with an 'accidental' pregnancy than in spaying. Just my opinion...

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Hi Jenny I can't speak for Staffies and how there react and everyone here has their own experiences of course, but speaking personally on my own experience yes, I would always have a bitch spayed and I would do this three months after the first season..though some vets would choose a different time. The reasons are this, although there is a slight chance of losing the bitch when being spayed I have not experienced this, neither have I had an incontinence problem I have however had a cocker bitch with malignant mammary tumors but worse than that I have lost two bitches and nearly a third with pyometra. For some reason pyometra seems to have increased in incidence over the years..maybe our dogs immune systems have become weakened by pesticides etc. or could be genetic. Anyway, harsh as it may seem I look at it this way..do I take the very slight risk of losing a 12 month old dog or do I have years of seasons and the problem that brings ,then maybe a pyometra on an older dog who has become more a part of my life? Pyometra is a dreadful thing, if it is 'closed' you may not know it is there till it is too late and you have a toxic dog. All you can do is weigh up facts and make your own mind up, we all have the same problem when it comes to making a decision like this
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 08:20 PM
I can see all your points and its really up to you ...no one is right or wrong ..I just think the risks are there what ever we do in life and its how we look at them ...I still wouldn't spay and i have read all the posts with interest and there are some good points my girl i lost with a pyo had a heart murmer at 5 and 2 tumours removed from her back over the years I wouldn't spay JUST incase something was to happen down the line ....sorry if i'm not helping much
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Good luck in your decision making and remember it is ur decision in the end
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Like Inca, I too have read all the replies with interest but I still won't have my girls spayed purely on the slim chance of cancer, pregnancy can be avoided and IF an accident happened then the morning after jab can be given (I'm not saying this is ok) surely this is better than a full blow operation and anaesthetic.

Have you personally lost a bitch with cancer? or is this just what people have warned you about? like we've all said, talk to your vet, ask as much as you can and make sure you get your answers before deciding to go ahead.

If spaying was for any of my girls health, then of course I wouldn't hesitate.

Good luck
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 09:19 PM
yeap agree CC I wouldn't hesitate either if it was a health issue ... but remember your vet has to earn a living !!!!
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

17-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Having had Phoebe spayed I have to say I would recommend it to anyone. She went in at 8am and was home by 2pm and was absolutely fine. She had one stitch and a wound one inch long...and she has not suffered from it at all. This was her two weeks after the op chasing Willis:

I can't speak for her in the future, but I would say that immediately she is far less aggressive to Willis, far less hormonal and generally nicer
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Jenny I had Saffy done at 6 months after careful consideration. I can say I have never regretted the decision. I made the decision because she lives with an entire male, Max, and also because being a white Boxer I had no intentions of ever letting her have a litter. I must say I did worry because of the fact that Boxers have to have a different anaethetic than other dogs due to risk of a reaction to it.

When the time comes I will consider having Tia spayed.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >