View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2012, 11:56 AM
If you're not wanting the dog quite yet though, maybe start a 'dog fund' for yourself to cover new equipment and adoption fees.
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
sounds like malicious gossip to me.

if anything ive heard they are too strict.

they have lots of behaviourists on staff as well
I guess your right... but if your saying that there too strict then what are the chances of us being able to adopt a dog???

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
If you're not wanting the dog quite yet though, maybe start a 'dog fund' for yourself to cover new equipment and adoption fees.
and that in its self is actually a good idea one of them moments when you wanna kick yourself in the head for not thinking of it yourself lol...
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by NewRoc84 View Post
I guess your right... but if your saying that there too strict then what are the chances of us being able to adopt a dog???

no, im not saying anything, except dont listen to anyone's rumours and find out for yourself
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-01-2012, 12:16 PM
£100 adoption fee is really very fair, it cost the charities a hell of a lot more than this to rehome. Kennel fee's, vet fee's etc.
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by JamieWilson View Post
£100 adoption fee is really very fair, it cost the charities a hell of a lot more than this to rehome. Kennel fee's, vet fee's etc.
and this i do respect (i was trying to say this but didnt come across... my bad sorry )

i have been looking at rehoming a staffy as from what i can gather they have had such a bad reputation and from what i have read on here there actually not that bad...

thank you for all your help and if you can (anyone and everyone) think of other places or anything i can do PLESASE let me know... i am intrested...
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
can anyone give me and ideas how much it might cost me to re home from battersea and is it a good idea???
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
can anyone give me and ideas how much it might cost me to re home from battersea and is it a good idea???
I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea. You'll have to ask them whether they home dogs with families with young kids though.
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea. You'll have to ask them whether they home dogs with families with young kids though.
fair point... all i can do is keep looking or put up that i have space for a dog on here...
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-01-2012, 02:51 PM
fair point... all i can do is keep looking or put up that i have space for a dog on here...
whilst that is a good idea to do that, i wouldnt make that your main effort, as dogsey is good, but their are many other routes more efficient to finding a rescue dog.

the more effective routes are also to contact the rescues yourself - those like battersea dont even advertise on forums, as their websites are often more well known than the forums - or check out dog forums actually created specifically for the rescue scene.

battersea is a good as place as any to try, no different to wood green really. every rescue up and down the land is half full of staffy types. im sure battersea would find a dog that is checked to be checked to be child suitable.

last i heard their adoption fee was seventy quid, but check their site yourself.
actually adoption fees are quite cheap, they dont even cover costs of the animals, and often include neutering and vaccines, which is worth hundreds and what you would have to shell out yourself if you bought a pup from a breeder
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2012, 08:09 PM
hello

I think the idea of a dog fund is a good one, as the last thing a rescue want to hear is that you cannot or don't want to pay an adoption fee - as a rescue volunteer and committee member it just sets alarm bells that you can't afford another dog if you can't do the adoption fee, and lets face it the adoption fee is a great deal less than any pup price. I would also say a dog fund is a good idea to then have a pot to pay for dog insurance, especially with a dog of unknown heritage as then you are covered for any eventuality.

As far as SBT's are concerned in my humble opinion - you won't find a better dog with kids, I work for Staffordshire Rescue scotland and I own an 11 yr old rescue dog who I have brought up with my kids of now 5, 18 months and soon to be new baby. He is an absolute gem and so accepting.

A breed specific rescue for SBT's or a smaller rescue would be a good option as they generally home from home as much as possible or work with fosters so they tend to know as much as poss about the dogs, whereas unfortunately a lot of Battersea dogs are stray quite often so they won't rehome to young children if they don't know the background of the dog.

I would also say to go for a female with your beagle being male and not yet fully mature, your best bet would probably be an older bitch. Staffies tend to be balls of fun and boisterousness until about age 5 whereupon they do start to calm down somewhat..

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Rescue remedies seem to have good info on their dogs - they are on here in rescue section and have a thread entitled dogs suitable to be rehomed with children. Might be a good place to start,

Good luck with your choice and hope you find a staffie to show you how loving and fantastic wee dogs they are!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >