Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
It's really irritating him tonight, he's quite restless and finding it hard to resist nagging it. Hopefully the vet can diagnose it tomorrow and prescribe something to help.
Hope the vet will sort it tomorrow, ...it may be stress from you being away?

If you have any aloe vera gel that will soothe it for tonight, also a Piriton tablet might help with the itching especially if it has some kind of allergenic cause.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Good idea, I'll shove a Piraton down his throat too
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Right, he's been treated with Advocate and given an antihistamine. I've rebandaged his leg as I can't watch him overnight. I put Hypercal cream on the spots as it is soothing and healing. He seems a bit more comfortable now. Covered the bandage in anti lick strips and bitterbite to try and deter him from chewing it off again. Sigh. I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 11:53 PM
How spooky, Casper has a very similar thing at the moment. Have spoken to the vet but giving it a day or two to see if it improves, seems to be calming down now we bandage it though his is slightly further up the leg and a bit easier to keep bandaged (he's not pulling the bandages off either which helps!). Will take him in before Christmas if it doesn't seem better but hoping it's just him picking up on our moving stress - we're in now so more happy vibes than worried ones! Would rush him in but he's funny about being held still, we can do weighing and a general feel over, but a vet trying to have a good peer at it won't go down well.
Apparently lick granulomas are more common in GSDs (and a handful of other breeds), tend to crop up around age 5 and seen more in males so Casper seems the "perfect" canditate for it as such. Also similar OCD-type behaviour can be expressed as floor licking, which is something Casper did a lot when he first moved here - so presumably a bit of a stress-managing mechanism.
Ordered some Dermacton which is meant to be fab for it, though using Hypercal in the meantime. Also giving him breakfast and dinner in Kongs, as I'm hoping that licking at them will prevent him diverting to another area, which apparently can happen. It's looking much better today than yesterday though.

Forgot to say, he's treated with Advocate regularly so presuming it's not mange!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 12:01 AM
That is spooky! Hope Casper's clears up soon. I think that Cain has a little bit of GSD sensitive skin, he often has minor spots, mildly itchy skin in hot weather plus his weird pyoderma allergy. Never had a hot spot thingy this big before though. I gave him a frozen fishy Kong but he ignored it and pulled off the bandage instead although I think I may have put it on a little too tight last time That Hypercal cream is miracle stuff. He was leaving it alone, didn't use it today and it's the first day he pulled off his bandage. Applied it 20 mins ago and he's settled down and gone to sleep now Convinced it helps.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Glad to hear he's settled now. Looks like a hot spot that he's been getting at to me as of course, I know these well with Georgie. If you're not happy with the progress of what the vet has given you, ask if you can have some Fuciderm, as that will act immediately, and I've never had to apply it for 7 days, it usually does the trick the very first day for me......and then he starts somewhere else though! Good luck with Cain.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Glad to hear he's settled now. Looks like a hot spot that he's been getting at to me as of course, I know these well with Georgie. If you're not happy with the progress of what the vet has given you, ask if you can have some Fuciderm, as that will act immediately, and I've never had to apply it for 7 days, it usually does the trick the very first day for me......and then he starts somewhere else though! Good luck with Cain.
Thanks H. I originally thought it was a hot spot too, it's just the one on the back of his leg that looks weird so I called the vet. I've never seen a hot spot with a white centre
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Moons mum, do you not have a cone to put on Cain instead of a bandage? I don’t think a bandage is good for him. If it is a hotspot it will need drying out and the bandage will not allow for this to happen.

Coles has had two hotspots with a white head.

Hopefully the vet will be able to give you something to help his skin. Poor Cain.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:50 AM
For Casper, I've been using a crepe bandage (Tesco value stuff!) and a cotton wool pad, lightly wrapped over the spot but a little firmer above and below it to hold the bandage in place (when I was doing it looser, it slid down). Then some micropore tape above and below too to stop the bandage unravelling. Doesn't seem to make the wound 'sweat' which is good, it's been fairly dry underneath when I change the bandage (I do it at mealtimes so it airs out and he doesn't bother it because he's too busy eating)
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:54 AM
I've ordered him a Comfy Cone which I'm hoping will turn up tomorrow. I try to leave the wound unbandaged in the evenings when I can supervise him and then covered over night and during the day when I'm not there.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >