Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Do you mind if I move this discussion to another thread because I really don't think it is relevant to the abattoir. But more than willing to discuss it

No, it isn't, sorry, I'm bad! But I just hate it!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:54 PM
The meat in an abbattoir will be fit for human consumption, unless it is dyed blue

I went to visit my local abbattoir (I am lucky I have two) as I have always found that a personal visit works best.

And I fail to see what a training school's methods have to do with the point under discussion, if you want to berate Laura Ann about something a new thread would be best, after all she posted this thread to alert forum users to a potential source of good food, a favour to all of us.

thanks Laura Anne, that is just down the road from one of my sites, so I may drive up next time rather than fly to bring some food down with me!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I thought it was fairly common knowledge as everyone at my training school buy their meat from there but after doing a search on the forum doesn't look as if it has been noted here so thought I would let others know about it.

There is an abattoir in Cumbernauld which sells various meats to dog owners- they make sure it is not for human consumption the first time you go. The prices are very reasonable and over the last year not one person I know has had a complaint about them. (except for me because one of the guys persist on asking for my number ) Pallicerig used to feed their wolves from there.

I'm sure I paid £3 for my mince but I found these details from my training instructor so would imagine it to be accurate. Apologies it has been some time since I have been able to go down so these prices are a rough guide.

Minced beef is £3.50 for 5KG and £10 for 15KG ( you need to split and bag this yourself before freezing)
Chunked heart/tripe/tongue/kidney etc is £3 for 5KGs
There is no charge for marrow bones.

Grayshill Ltd.
Mollins Road
Cumbernauld
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
G68 9BA
Tel: 01236 823138
Fax: 01236 795940

Should note however as it is an abattoir you need to have a pretty strong stomach, which I assume most do feeding raw, as often they are cutting up the animals as you go to collect your meat.
SB, see above, which is why I commented on the human consumption part. I'm not a butcher, so I have no idea if the whole animal or not is fit for human consumption and if it isn't, I don't know why it's not. Picking up on this comment, nothing more.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Well I am just glad this info was posted as I will be calling them tomorrow to find out if they have meats that Loui can have
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Actually cba starting a new thread because cant be bothered discussing it at length.

I attend because I like the people, its like our own training family. They do group walks, support one another, everyone genuinely gets on and spends time together, they have nights out and my dogs have done very well in the classes building their confidence through positive reinforcement. Other people see the methods i use with my own dogs and realise they dont have to use prong collars to have a well trained dog.

I have to bite my tongue a lot and some of the things i see point blank disgust me but it is on a rare occasion and with only a few people who attend. I have seen dogs come on leaps and bounds there.

Bottom line they know i dont like them and dont want use them, they dont push them on me, and I enjoy spending time with the people and the classes.

Dont think it was relevant to bring it up as it has nothing to do with raw feeding or grayshill, but couldnt not respond to your comment.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Actually cba starting a new thread because cant be bothered discussing it at length.

I attend because I like the people, its like our own training family. They do group walks, support one another, everyone genuinely gets on and spends time together, they have nights out and my dogs have done very well in the classes building their confidence through positive reinforcement. Other people see the methods i use with my own dogs and realise they dont have to use prong collars to have a well trained dog.

I have to bite my tongue a lot and some of the things i see point blank disgust me but it is on a rare occasion and with only a few people who attend. I have seen dogs come on leaps and bounds there.

Bottom line they know i dont like them and dont want use them, they dont push them on me, and I enjoy spending time with the people and the classes.

Dont think it was relevant to bring it up as it has nothing to do with raw feeding or grayshill, but couldnt not respond to your comment.
You don't HAVE to bite your tongue though, if I saw something that disgusted me, I'd tell them and/or report them. Plus, I don't 'like' people who treat animals in such a way and wouldn't want to be around them if I could help it.

However, I am glad they see you using positive methods and that they DO work, it's just a shame they can't see past the cruelty of prong collars and change their ethics accordingly.

Anyway, yes, off topic, sorry.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
You don't HAVE to bite your tongue though, if I saw something that disgusted me, I'd tell them and/or report them. Plus, I don't 'like' people who treat animals in such a way and wouldn't want to be around them if I could help it.

However, I am glad they see you using positive methods and that they DO work, it's just a shame they can't see past the cruelty of prong collars and change their ethics accordingly.

Anyway, yes, off topic, sorry.
You probably wouldn't do too well watching a Schutzhund club training then
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
SB, see above, which is why I commented on the human consumption part. I'm not a butcher, so I have no idea if the whole animal or not is fit for human consumption and if it isn't, I don't know why it's not. Picking up on this comment, nothing more.
All I can say is to anyone who wishes to buy food here contact them first if you have any concerns. All contact details have been provided. I was merely trying to advice people on an alternative source for meat which I know a number of raw feeders use with no complaint. Doesnt mean it will suit everyone as with everything.

As said previously Pallicerig fed all of their carnivores on it and the club have been using it again for a year or so now (swapped from landywoods) with no complaint.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I think it's just best to see the meat for yourself. I've heard lots of complaints of bad quality meat from Landywoods which is fit for human consumption apparently....

I'm sure the stuff from the abattoir is just stuff that humans wouldn't normally eat.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shrap View Post
You probably wouldn't do too well watching a Schutzhund club training then
If that's what they do in that then no, I probably would not, you're right! I don't see how it's funny either. Why would I want to hurt my animals or train them in such a way using prong collars?

Anyway, very OT, sorry Laura.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >