Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
oops sorry G,u called?

did u weigh your dog and use the correct tube?

if you have done this the likeliest reason is your dog had a worm burden which the advocate has dislodged...this can often lead to a slightly upset tummy...but it shouldnt persist.
I did!! And you have been most helpful, thanx very much.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 10:44 AM
both advocate and stronghold are 'macrocyclic lactone's '
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 11:56 AM
This is interesting, I didn't know that both Advocate and Advantage were the same thing, but apparently they are:
QUOTE "Advantage multi is still being branded under the advantage label but it has an alternative name (advocate). This rather strange dual branding leads to some confusion. Rest assured that advantage multi IS advocate. There is no difference between advantage multi and advocate. It is the same medication. You may purchase it under either name but it is the same product produced by Bayer.

This extrememly popular heartworm treatment is fast becoming the main choice for many Dog and Cat owners because it effectively acts as a multi purpose treatment. Rather than give separate wormers, flea meds and heartworm medicine with advocate you can simply give one topical treatment a month and rest assured that your pet is safe from these most common pet problems.

Why the advantage multi has two branded names is not quite clear but it will still be known by the name advantage multi for some time to come. The difference is in name only not the contents or the manufacturer." UNQUOTE

Nikki, you just made me check up on my packet of Stronghold in the cupboard, coz I could have sworn it kills those lice and some worms, and it does apparently:

QUOTE "Stronghold kills fleas, worms and other parasites affecting dogs and cats. It comes as a pale, watery liquid supplied in a small plastic capsule. The contents of a capsule are tipped onto the back of the neck once a month for effective parasite control. The drug is then absorbed through the skin and is effective for about 1 month. Capsules of different sizes are available to treat the varying bodyweights of dogs and cats.

Stronghold is effective against all the common parasites on dogs and cats. It does not work for tapeworms. However the most common tapeworm seen in most parts of the United Kingdom is transmitted by fleas and lice, which are killed by Stronghold. Therefore this worm too can be controlled by Stronghold indirectly. " unquote

Now this is the one I have to avoid: Moxidectin-based Products: Advantage Multi, Proheart6Â

Otherwise, they are selamectin based (the Stronghold and Advocate which I can use or the Panacur), apart from the Advantage Multi, which is what my dog had as a puppy.

Just out of interest, that's all! but still looks to be contradicting to me!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
This is interesting, I didn't know that both Advocate and Advantage were the same thing, but apparently they are:
QUOTE "Advantage multi is still being branded under the advantage label but it has an alternative name (advocate). This rather strange dual branding leads to some confusion. Rest assured that advantage multi IS advocate. There is no difference between advantage multi and advocate. It is the same medication. You may purchase it under either name but it is the same product produced by Bayer.

This extrememly popular heartworm treatment is fast becoming the main choice for many Dog and Cat owners because it effectively acts as a multi purpose treatment. Rather than give separate wormers, flea meds and heartworm medicine with advocate you can simply give one topical treatment a month and rest assured that your pet is safe from these most common pet problems.

Why the advantage multi has two branded names is not quite clear but it will still be known by the name advantage multi for some time to come. The difference is in name only not the contents or the manufacturer." UNQUOTE

Nikki, you just made me check up on my packet of Stronghold in the cupboard, coz I could have sworn it kills those lice and some worms, and it does apparently:

QUOTE "Stronghold kills fleas, worms and other parasites affecting dogs and cats. It comes as a pale, watery liquid supplied in a small plastic capsule. The contents of a capsule are tipped onto the back of the neck once a month for effective parasite control. The drug is then absorbed through the skin and is effective for about 1 month. Capsules of different sizes are available to treat the varying bodyweights of dogs and cats.

Stronghold is effective against all the common parasites on dogs and cats. It does not work for tapeworms. However the most common tapeworm seen in most parts of the United Kingdom is transmitted by fleas and lice, which are killed by Stronghold. Therefore this worm too can be controlled by Stronghold indirectly. " unquote

Now this is the one I have to avoid: Moxidectin-based Products: Advantage Multi, Proheart6Â

Otherwise, they are selamectin based (the Stronghold and Advocate which I can use or the Panacur), apart from the Advantage Multi, which is what my dog had as a puppy.

Just out of interest, that's all! but still looks to be contradicting to me!
Sorry Helena, I should have made myself clear, yes you are quite right, Stronghold is recommended for lice and I believe mites too, but we found it pretty useless for both - whereas Advocate we found much better. Unfortunately, because Stronghold does not make them poorly.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2