Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I would have recommended the Fish4Dogs food, especially as your dog likes salmon, but I think it's a bit too pricey at £45 a bag?

One of my dogs is currently on the wet trays of Wainwrights and she absolutely adores it, doesn't leave a scrap, so I would have thought their dry food is quite pallatable too and it would be at a much better price.

Yes, overfeeding CAN cause runny poo's - too much in one meal, too much for the gut to cope with, so either split into another smaller meal, or reduce the daily amount. 3 meals a day for a 1yr old is not out of the ordinary, but don't know how many you feed a day
Helena not sure how much you are paying for your Fish 4 Dogs but Pet Supermarket is doing it for £36.00 plus free delivery

I am in the process of thinking about changing foods and i have been looking at Wainwrights (P@H) i thought the ingredients looked good, i was looking at the salmon and potato as i think mu lurcher is grain sensitive, its about £33.00 a bag i think which is good

Simpsons i am also impressed by, grain free and great meat content for £31.50 a bag !
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Blimey I'm going to have to check that one out coz my F4D salmon 12 kgs is actually £51 now from F4D website!!!! I HAVE to use Salmon food for the old boy with his skin problems, so thanks for that I'll be shopping around for it now then.

Whichpets, yes I do think the ingredients are better in the F4D, but that's just my personal choice. From what you are saying about your dog being a bit picky in the mornings, slightly underweight, there's no way you can be overfeeding unless of course, you are trying to make up for it by feeding too much in one go in that evening meal. Can you not split the evening meal into 2 perhaps if you can't do the lunch bit? Might be your way to go to keep a good weight on her and make sure she gets the correct amount. It's all trial and error with something like this, you have to find what works along with the right food. Raw tripe is a brilliant weight gain food if you could add some of that to the kibble? They do those frozen blocks of minced tripe in P@H which I've always used for mine. Good luck with it all.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Blimey I'm going to have to check that one out coz my F4D salmon 12 kgs is actually £51 now from F4D website!!!! I HAVE to use Salmon food for the old boy with his skin problems, so thanks for that I'll be shopping around for it now then.

Whichpets, yes I do think the ingredients are better in the F4D, but that's just my personal choice. From what you are saying about your dog being a bit picky in the mornings, slightly underweight, there's no way you can be overfeeding unless of course, you are trying to make up for it by feeding too much in one go in that evening meal. Can you not split the evening meal into 2 perhaps if you can't do the lunch bit? Might be your way to go to keep a good weight on her and make sure she gets the correct amount. It's all trial and error with something like this, you have to find what works along with the right food. Raw tripe is a brilliant weight gain food if you could add some of that to the kibble? They do those frozen blocks of minced tripe in P@H which I've always used for mine. Good luck with it all.
Wow that's a big price difference!
I work 7-4 so I can try feeding more little and often. She sometimes eats a bit at 6.40, then can feed again at 4ish, then again at 7ish and see how that works out. I'm hoping that if I move to a better food it will sort it all for me but we'll see

Thanks to everyone for the advice Am going to give Fish 4 Dogs a go, as it looks quite good value for what you get. Now I have to go and find a pet shop to get a small bag from before getting a whole sack of the stuff
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:54 PM
IMO the fish 4 dogs food is better quality than the Wainwrights. However, I've fed Wainwrights salmon and potato for at least 4 years now. My dog does better on that than he does on the higher quality foods I've tried. Each dog is different, what suits one may not suit another
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
IMO the fish 4 dogs food is better quality than the Wainwrights. However, I've fed Wainwrights salmon and potato for at least 4 years now. My dog does better on that than he does on the higher quality foods I've tried. Each dog is different, what suits one may not suit another
Thanks, it does seem to have a higher meat content. I'm hoping she'll like it as she seems to like nice oily fishy foods
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Wainwrights wet trays here too - Dexter adores them and so far this is the only food he's been on where he hasn't suffered itchy ears!

Out of the dry foods, I think Arden Grange is a good one. I used to feed Fish4Dogs but Dexter got bored with it and also had terrible problems with his ears and paws (itchiness).

Best of luck. Might be worth reconsidering wet food, I find it much better than kibble. Just a thought
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Wainwrights wet trays here too - Dexter adores them and so far this is the only food he's been on where he hasn't suffered itchy ears!

Out of the dry foods, I think Arden Grange is a good one. I used to feed Fish4Dogs but Dexter got bored with it and also had terrible problems with his ears and paws (itchiness).

Best of luck. Might be worth reconsidering wet food, I find it much better than kibble. Just a thought
Thanks I will try this and if she gets bored might think about Wainwrights as it seems pretty popular!

Did you used to get Fish 4 Dogs online?
I have spent the last 30 mins ringning their 'stockists' but no one stocks it! Cant find it anywhere!! I will order in bulk online but just want to buy a small bag
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Thanks I will try this and if she gets bored might think about Wainwrights as it seems pretty popular!

Did you used to get Fish 4 Dogs online?
I have spent the last 30 mins ringning their 'stockists' but no one stocks it! Cant find it anywhere!! I will order in bulk online but just want to buy a small bag

Yes I used to get Fish4Dogs online, and I seem to recall that sometimes it's slightly cheaper on certain sites. Just trying to recall which ones... I'll have a look back through my email orders and see if I can work out where I got it the most reasonably.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't worry too much, ive seen it for £36 for 12kg which looks pretty good on a couple of sites.
Just wanted to buy a small bag and not pay the P&P for odering such a small amount! I can get it for £8 on the F4D website though.. even though its pricier it includes postage
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I pay £36 for a 12 kilo bag of fish for dogs from bowmeows, next day delivery free...best dried food I have used
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >