Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I'm no expert but I would have him on a (training) lead and play a game - reward when he looks when dogs around, gradually the lead gets longer (dogs closer over time) same principle throughout.......

dont know what others think?
This, I think, is a good idea.

thanks again.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
That's what I was just about to post.

To the OP: is it that the owner is letting his lurcher go racing over to dogs in the hope that he'll suddenly start displaying friendly behaviour?

I'll be blunt: if I had my dog on a lead and someone actually let their off leash dog come zooming over, only to then bark and lunge, then that dog owner would sure as hell feel my wrath!!!

It is a very unfair way to behave given that your friend does NOT know these other dogs nor what they and their owners are maybe coping with. My Lab would go MAD if a strange dog came racing over like that.
I totally understand what you are saying about running at the wrong dog because if approachnig my staffie x like that he would react badly. he does not like this one bit, but im trying to help her out with any help I can get. so I am grateful for the advice.

He has approached the staffie like this and staffie growled and lunged at him! fortunately, Coles was on a lead
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
If he has a good recal then simply call him back and put him on the lead while other dogs are aboutIt is what Mia does (or would do given the chance) - but as soon as i found that out then she simply cannot be alowed to do that
and as in that situation her recal isnt good enough then she cannot be offlead where there are onlead dogs - and I am training her to be calm around onlead dogs

But he cannot be let practise this anymore, the more he does it the harder the habit to break - and the bigger the chance he finds out the reason some dogs are onlead
This is what I do with my boys if theres a dog on a lead that they dont know I call them over and sometimes I put them on lead, but mine dont run over to other dogs unless I let them (only dogs they know).

I think your right about the longer he does it the harder to break.

thanks for the advice.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
This, I think, is a good idea.

thanks again.
well if his recall is good the dogs owner NEEDS to be faster to call him back and be more alert then what I said earlier (IMHO) OR if they cant do that, dont let him off.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:15 PM
If it helps at all, tell your friend about my brother's Labrador, Lucky. A friendlier dog you could not wish to meet. Total softie.

Then in the park recently he went trotting over to another dog just to say hi - the other dog went beserk and mauled Lucky to the point where the vet said he was lucky to survive it. It took three grown men to haul the other dog off.

I'm sure your friend loves her dog very much but unwittingly, at present, she IS putting him at risk. He should not be off leash until she can be sure that either she can recall him immediately OR that he will approach other dogs calmly.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Jugsmalone;2304121]Because she hasnt noticed the other dog on lead until its too late and she then recalls and he comes back.
as you are walking with your friend when this happens, can you say why she doesnt notice early enough?

(maybe therein lays your answer?)
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
as you are walking with your friend when this happens, can you say why she doesnt notice early enough?

(maybe therein lays your answer?)
I tried to say politely last night that the problem is that she is distracted by me and my boys and she needs to see the dog on the lead or off lead (that she does not know) and call the dog back before he catches sight of it.

she has said she was looking for other training methods, which is why im asking for further advice. very true the clue is in the question!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
You do not need any other training method (not sure what is meant by this)?

If you have an ace recall and an ace stop, nothing more is needed, your dog is under total control.

Simples
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You do not need any other training method (not sure what is meant by this)?If you have an ace recall and an ace stop, nothing more is needed, your dog is under total control.

Simples
she said what might work for me (i.e. as i said below with my dogs)might not work for her dog. I think she just wants to try different ways to train him with regards to other dogs on leads.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:42 PM
What about clicker training as a way of marking positive meetings with other dogs. This way the dog learns what is expected of him when meeting new dogs on leads, and has something positive to work towards. He will learn to understand that (at first) looking at a dog on lead without a response = a click and reward. This can then be built up.

I just read the book 'click to calm' which I think your friend would find very useful! It explains this process in much more detail.

Have to agree with other posters that the dog should be on a line if around other dogs that she is not quick enough recalling him on. I understand he has never done anything but could end up being attacked by another dog. A lot of dogs (not all) are often on leads for DA themselves so are especially bad targets to antagonise!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >