View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Have you tried letting him sleep in the bedroom?

Go out with him to the garden. As soon as he starts barking go indoors (taking him with you) and keep repeating until he makes the association of 'quiet' means we stay out to play/sniff etc while barking means we go back inside where it's boring and play stops
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I would try his bed in your bedroom as well this should keep him quiet at night.
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:25 PM
With rocky being fully toilet trained (he won't pee or poop outside despite numerous amounts of times of us putting him outside just as he is sniffing and also putting his toilet paper outside he still refuses to go outside) so we can't have him upstairs in our room

So it's amcase of not just one problem but a couple that is why we have a trainer coming in but he had a cancel this week which to say the least I'm not to happy with...

So more suggestions please
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2011, 06:33 PM
just a thought

what did your breeder say?

barking/howling is a breed trait for beagles, did they not talk you thru it?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I am sorry you dont like the idea of a crate as it can be great for toilet training too

I know many people with a new pup even use a box with their bed in it for beside there bed at night for the first few weeks
It is scary for a pup to go from always being around their littermates to suddenly be in a strange place with strange people and to be abandoned all alone

But other ways to get pup used to being left alone

Get him settled with a kong or something and leave the room for a sec then come back and reward him before he gets the chance to bark
next time close the door slightly - again go back quickly and reward

or scatter his kibble on the floor and leave the room while he is eating then go back in before he is finished

When he is alone in the room go back in the sec he is quiet for a teeny amount of time - even if it is just pausing to breathe

walk in and out of the room many times ignoring the pup as if it is just a normal part of your daily routine

teach him to stay and slowly build up to stays out of sight - make it very rewarding and fun and never punish him for breaking his stay
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by NewRoc84 View Post
With rocky being fully toilet trained (he won't pee or poop outside despite numerous amounts of times of us putting him outside just as he is sniffing and also putting his toilet paper outside he still refuses to go outside) so we can't have him upstairs in our room

So it's amcase of not just one problem but a couple that is why we have a trainer coming in but he had a cancel this week which to say the least I'm not to happy with...

So more suggestions please
Get a good book, go out on the garden with him and wait it out. Reward when he goes. He'll soon get the idea
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a beagle who was quite vocal when she was younger and still has the odd moment even now (she is 2 in August) She has been crated since she was 8 weeks old when she is left and at bedtime. I brought her a crate cover when she was about 4 months as the howling when left had not improved, this seemed to work for her really well i think it helped her settle. This is her 'place' now, when i go out she trots in there happily before even being asked alot of the time. A while back i started leaving her out of the cage when i went out........she went back to crying and howling so now she is back in crate!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Lots of people have trouble with their dog going to the toilet outside. Have you tried getting other dogs to go in the garden so he can get the scent? Patience is the key! He would go if he REALLY needed and had no other option. I've found pups usually grow out of not going in the garden. Otherwise take him outside elsewhere to toilet. I live in a flat most the time and have to take my dog out many times a day.. toilet training was time consuming going outside wise but persistance and patience pays off

Btw - I didn't quite understand whether he's toilet trained or not - is he trained but only to go on pads?

Also have you considered using a playpen instead of a crate, as I saw you weren't sure about crates? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-022...8857482&sr=8-1 Great for toilet training too!

Like others, can he sleep in the bedroom if he's toilet trained?

I think as Ben Mcfuzzylugs said, you need to build being alone up slowly. Try to make it so that he doesn't get to practise the barking behavior. Leave him a yummy treat, and hide behind the sofa. Then leave the room. Build it up so he understands you always return
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2