Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
It is Diesel's is the same, in the summer his pink skin turns black, and then in the colder months it goes back to pink
funny isnt it lol. Ill need to see if totts goes back to pink in the winter lol
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Totts was the same, literally one day rolled onto her back for belly rubs and I was like oh youve turned black lol. but its only happened since shes been spending a lot more time out sunbathing so two and two went together.

But there is no harm in checking it out at the vet for peace of mind.
Thats what I thought, lots of sunbathing = black belly!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Lots of my dogs have gone from pink to darker underneath (exactly like Tilly) as they matured, there's never been a problem its always been a natural progression xx
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Toffee's tummy has done this regularly since she was about a year old, I think it may possibly be to do with her moult, which would be hormonal I spose.
My vet hasnt got a clue about it, I'll be very interested to
know what yours thinks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Lots of my dogs have gone from pink to darker underneath (exactly like Tilly) as they matured, there's never been a problem its always been a natural progression xx
Hi TT , there are a number of medical conditions which can cause a change in skin colour but as YS says a darkening of skin pigmentation can be part of the normal ageing process.

If the cause is a medical condition there would normally be other symptoms, this link is quite informative.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2111&aid=425

As always if in doubt check with your vet
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Dingo's tummy goes darker in the summer and when he's warmed up. During winter it goes back to his baby pink. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but to put your mind at ease check it out with the vet.
MaryEllen
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I have 2 bichons and belong to a bichon forum. The question of "cow spots" comes up a lot on the forum. I don't know the breed of your dog (looks Maltese to me). Anyway, Maltese are related to bichons so I suspect they may have some similarities or I may be all wrong. But here is my two cents. Bichons are born with all white skin. Long about 6 to 8 months old and definitely by age one, they develop "cow spots". These are dark spots on their skin. It is completely normal and expected with good breeding. Most people would not notice the spots as their hair is quite dense, but you can most definitely see the spots on their bellies. They look much like the spots on your dog. If I were you, I would first call your dog's breeder (if you have one) and ask if the spots are something normal. If you can't do that, a call to the vet would be in order. I sure do hope the spots are nothing serious! Good luck!
FionaDerrick
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Our 2year floppy eared german shepherd x lab has recently gone black skinned underneath and showing through the rosette on the top of leg/ shoulder area. He's still pink skinned under his shaggy mane long haired back areas.
He scratches a lot too. He is getting a bit bald on his knees.
He's up to date with flea/worm treatments, we use flea shampoo for odd showers, he's on portions from the vet at end of full course.
Natural aging, hay fever, allergies, food??? He's on iams chicken dry food.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Have you had him checked for mange mites? Espeically if you walk him in an area where foxes might be.
I don't know about the black skin pigmentation but the hair loss and itching/scratching fits.
FionaDerrick
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Our 2year floppy eared german shepherd x lab has recently gone black skinned underneath and showing through the rosette on the top of leg/ shoulder area. He's still pink skinned under his shaggy mane long haired back areas.
He scratches a lot too. He is getting a bit bald on his knees.
He's up to date with flea/worm treatments, we use flea shampoo for odd showers, he's on portions from the vet at end of full course.
Natural aging, hay fever, allergies, food??? He's on iams chicken dry food.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2