View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:28 AM
How terribly sad, I will hope for the best for you.
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Really sad to hear your news-it must be awful for all of you

Sending some BIG HUGS and lots of Dogsey vibes for your sister,who has been so brave
Maureen
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I went up to London with my sister on Tuesday to get the results of her CT scan which basically was to see if the 3 lots of chemo had worked. She wanted to go and see the team on her own so I waited while she did. She was in with them for an hour and a half and I was really starting to think that it was good news and they were discussing what to do next. When she finally came out I could see straight away that it wasn't. The chemo has worked on 2 of the tumours but the one in her diaphragm has increased and there are new masses in her tummy.

The only option they can give her now is for 2 lots of a different chemo which targets the tumours and is more 'potent'. This treatment has a 10 - 20% chance of working. We spent 8 hours at the hospital while she had another CT scan and an ultrasound. She has multiple small clots on her lungs, caused by the cancer, and they inhibit her breathing. She's been given a different type of medication to help with this too.

I took her to the doctors yesterday as she needed a blood test and her HB is very low again so she is going in for a transfusion on Tuesday.

We had to tell our mum on Wednesday and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever felt or seen such despair, fear and vulnerability in my sister. She completely fell apart and it frightened me so much. She's always been the sensible, strong one out of the 2 of us. I screw up, make mistakes, have to deal with the fallout and she has just picked me up every time. Mum was very strong but I know she was doing this for Sarah. How the hell does a mother deal with that kind of news about their child???

It's so unfair!!!!!! Why has this happened to her! She has never smoked in her life. I'm terrified this next lot won't work but I keep telling her that someone has to be in the 10 - 20 %. I feel so angry and scared.
Hi Claire,
I know how hard it is being told chemo hasn't worked, and more tumours have grown.
I had a trial last year which only had a small percent chance of working, and it worked partially (which was good enough for me!)
Then the transplant I had in January only has a 30% chance of working (obviously it's early days yet, so fingers crossed).

I have my fingers crossed for your sister, you and your family, and I truely hope this new treatment works. As you said, some people are in that 10-20%, otherwise they wouldn't offer it!

It's also worth asking about clinical trials if you already haven't - just as 'another option' - even if you have to be referred to another hospital and travel (My trial was down in London).

I know it's hard, but try and stay as positive as possible (I know bad days are frequent), but I really think a positive attitude helps - I know it helps me to feel stronger like I can beat this damn disease.

If you ever want to PM me to to talk/ask any questions, I really don't mind. I am very open about my cancer, and will answer anything - or just talk if you want to.

If you already haven't, you might find it beneficial to join the forums on the Macmillan website, or the website/forms for the specific cancer - if only just for some more 'support', and talk to people going through the same type of cancer/treatments.
I have made some good friends from there, and even met up with some of them at hospital!

Again, you are in my thoughts xxx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Im really sad for you. My brother - strong sensible one has prostate cancer, he is waiting treatment. He decided against surgery as there was a chance he would be incontinent after it. All he lived for were his family & now grandchildren. My mum Is 89 & not handling it too well. We lost dad last year suddenly. So yes, i can understand your dismay regarding your mum. You just want to wrap your arms round them & tell them it will be okay but inside its breaking you up.

Massive hugs for Sarah & healing vibes. Take care of yourself too. xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:44 AM
SLB's quote is brilliant.
Statistics on things suck at times (especially in health matters), you can have a 99% chance but still be in the 1% is still going to be there and if you end up in that category it won't matter the number. So please don't focus on that. Your sister has hope and she has her family to support her.
In no way is it going to be an easy time for any one. I just want you to know how many people are behind you and shedding tears with this news.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 10:33 AM
oh hunni {{{hugs}}}... you have to have hope,u cant loose hope xxx
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm so sorry Claire.

You know we were in the same position a year ago with Robert brother. Kevin is still here after aggressive chemo therapy. I hope and pray that the results of further treatment are the same for Sarah. It is devastating time for the family, I know.

My thoughts are with you all. Take good care of yourself. {{{{{{{HUG}}}}} to you all from me and mine.

Seoniad.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Claire please do not give up all hope yet.

A couple of years ago I was in a very similar place with my sister. Things really were not looking good. Must admit though she did not have the blood clot problems etc., but she did have to have a big big operation which they weren't even convinced they wanted to give her they felt her chances of recovery we so low but she opted for it and she is now looking healthier than she ever has done.

She is not out of the woods but she is living her life again she always has in the back of her mind the problems she has but she lives day by day. Helping get your mum through it all will be tough but please remember you are her sister and feeling a great sadness too and must make time for yourself to deal with this also.

I am always here on the end of a pm if you ever need a chat or to unload.

Massive (((hugs))) and love to you all. Xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh Claire, I'm so very sorry to be reading all this, and I wish I could give you a big hug in person, but you're far too involved for us to meet up again yet I know that, but please believe me when I say, my thoughts are with you, I was thinking of you most of the day Tuesday and what you were having to go through with your poor sister, and just like Gerri, I'm always here, just a phone call away you know that.

I can't begin to imagine how you felt when you told your mum, and bless her heart, for staying strong for the pair of you, with what she's already going through at hers with your dad, it's all so very sad, so very unfair, especially when it falls on somebody as nice and genuine as you and your family.

I'm totally lost for words for once Claire , what can I say to put your mind at rest, or help you through it, or, what can I DO to help you GET through it. If you think of anything, no matter how big or how small, then let me know, coz I'll do anything I can to make this nightmare end in the nicest possible way. I know the very best medicine for you at the moment are those beautiful furbabies back at home, not forgetting the real true friendship you have with Gerri, she's an absolute star, but then so are you! My heart goes out to your dear sister, but cling to that hope with all your heart, that she is going to be one of those percentages to reap the benefit of the new treatment. All you can do, is exactly what you are doing, be there for them all, they need you more than ever now, but then you've got a big enough heart to share it with them all, that much I do know!

This is a long, hard, road you find yourself on now Claire, but you will get to the end of it, even with all these pitfalls, just keep going, keep up your inner strength, pour your heart out on here and to Gerri, and show them how strong you really are - you're a better woman than me, I would have gone to pieces by now, and most of all, stay positive, keep that chin up, and hold them all up when you see them falling. My poor little friend I'm in tears here for you.xxxxxxxxxxxxx Zena is now licking my face profusely, so she's obviously sending some of her very special kisses your way.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Oh Claire, I'm sooo sorry Sarah's not doing well. We went through a similar scare with my grandmother a number of years ago. She developed Lung Cancer and we were told that she'd have 6 months without Chemo and radiation, and possibly a year with... She opted to give the treatment a go, and 11 years later, she's still alive. Not doing well, but it's not cancer that's got her now, but Alzheimers.

I'm not great with words in this situation but I truly truly hope your sister beats the odds. I'll be praying for her, you and your family.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »