View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2011, 02:29 PM
another reason why i am convinced it was a puppy farm they were from...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
eta: does everyone agree with me that this is the product of almost 5 yrs of being able to do what they want combined with not enough training and stimulation and the time bomb has just gone off? how do i say this not quite so harshly to my Mum, she realises she has messed up and I dont want to upset her more. She is still not back to normal after my Dad dying
Oh, how sad. Your mum must be so upset. After all, she has tried and it`s backfired. Let`s face it, these are not the only dogs in the world who are not trained well.
It`s good she has you to help.
Has the injured dog pulled through OK?
I`m sure your mum will be relieved if you can rehome one for her.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree that rehoming would be the best thing unfortunately.

Very occasionally, a medical problem can be at the heart of dog-dog aggression, so it may be worth checking this out in case one dog was arthritic, had hip problems, a pulled muscle/eye or ear problems, e.g. infections, etc.

Other than that, I'd rehome and ensure the dogs don't have a chance to get back in contact again, as it seems there was very little bit inhibition and so next time the outcome is likely to be worse. May even be a dead dog ...

Good luck,

Wys
x
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
they are both doing ok, they have some fluid on their necks which the vet has said they can drain if it doesnt go naturally in a couple of days, both feeling sorry for themselves apparently.

Chatting to my other sister who doesnt live there, she thinks that my mums brother was the trigger. The dogs dont really see men ever, only my sister who doesnt live at home her boyfriend every now and then. The other possibility is one of the dogs has been known to havy 'mystery' fits, has been epilepsy tested and the vets have no idea what it was.

I havnt convinced my mum to rehome one yet, she wants to wait and see how they are when she re introduces them. Personally I think its a bit risky to do that and if it were my dogs I wouldnt take the risk!

will update the thread if there are any future updates, I wonder if i should test the rehoming waters? just to show her there are good homes out there?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh dear how horrible

Possibly if you stress to your mother it is going to take alot of work if she wants the dogs to get along together

They are practised at fighting together, and as she really dosent know what the trigger was it can happen again at any time

I dont usualy agree with rehoming as the first advice - but in this case I think its for the best
If its too much work to prevent them play fighting
and tbh if they are play fighting that energeticaly it kinda suggests they are understimulated anyways

IF she wants to keep them she needs a FULL vet check to make sure nothing has changed
She needs a GOOD behaviourist in asap and she needs a full plan of how she is going to deal with this situation

which is prob going to involve very controled times together, watching them all the time
Lots of training, seperate and together walks, socalisation to men and lots of other things

- lots of work really
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The dog will probably be absolutely fine as an only or housed with a bitch. So do you know anyone who needs I mean wants one?!

Just tell your mum that if she loves the dogs that much she will want what is best for THEM not her, (if the vet bill + the shock has not done that already).

Don't let her fall into the trap of "it was only because (insert relevant excuse) happened" to explain away the event; it WILL happen again, you just do not know when......................
Sorry I have not read all the way through but I am leaning towards agreeing with SB and yourself Motley, on this so far.

I think this has been a case of two males allowed to go too far in 'play' for two long and learn more than they needed to, then add the over-excitement of the visitor....now that it has happened though, it is very likely to happen again, and probably more intense, quicker.

I'm not saying two male siblings can never share but I've known someone very experienced still have problems with this and once its happened....not much going back when they live together.

Really hope you can help your Mum get something sorted out. (just looked at last post, glad they are ok, but agree - risky)

Edit; btw that persons dogs almost killed each other too, after they both had a stay in the vets they were told they were lucky to have eitehr of them, they are now a lot of work, never together.....if (no offense here) your Mum cant split up play fighting then I'm not sure she realises just how much work and time, effort etc only two dogs can take....I think you know this and perhaps she feels bad but may not fully realise the extent of this once its happened..?
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2011, 03:24 PM
quick update. She tried to reintroduce them slowly, and had got to the point where they were really happy being walked together. Then one got trough the door in the house and they fought very badly again, so she does now realise the only answer is to rehome one.
She has a behavourist in tomorrow (earliest she could get one!!!) as I think she feels that once a professional has confirmed it she wont worry if she has made the right decision in the future.
Because she cant possibly decide who goes and who stays she intends to rehome both, however I think once the first has been rehomed I will convince her to keep the other one.
Thanks for all the advice above, I really wish we had all be wrong, but it really was a time bomb waiting to go off, im suprised theyve lasted almost 5 yrs tbh!
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2