Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Bertie had been left for a long time in a field doing nothing at all, so the weight piled on, which for his poorly legs is not good, so she has been gently lunging him and feeding him a substancial meal once daily, the grazing has gone down on the field and we are talking about moving them to another field, but in some ways it has done Bertie good not having the grazing as he can loose a little as his swollen knees have come right down in size with a little less weight and he is trotting now, he seems to have it in his shoulders too and even they are alot less stiff.
He's not a mad lunger just likes to walk really but even that is more exercise than he was getting in a much smaller field than he has now, plus he is moving around more having others for company as he was on his own before We can compensate the grazing with Hay bales from the farmer, or we could just move Odie and JC as magic is just fat god love him

I have more I will pop them up
Awww poor Bertie. Sounds as though he is in good hands now though, and should improve no end I'm sure. I am currently trying to decide whether to leave Marilla and Strom where they are - they have 25 acres of rough hill ground, so not a great deal of grass (and no extra hay!) and room to do plenty of moving around, or move them to a smaller field with two other companions. I haven't 100% decided yet.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Awww poor Bertie. Sounds as though he is in good hands now though, and should improve no end I'm sure. I am currently trying to decide whether to leave Marilla and Strom where they are - they have 25 acres of rough hill ground, so not a great deal of grass (and no extra hay!) and room to do plenty of moving around, or move them to a smaller field with two other companions. I haven't 100% decided yet.

Its difficult at times to know what to do for the best, we have two on there that carry thier weight, one that needed weight and one thats just right
so we have had to juggle things to suit them all
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 11:58 AM
All gorgeous, but I love Magic .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Magic is a laid back one I can tell you, he's a darling
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello Moobli.
I would just introduce some light work. They are probs on the best grazing(which has made me go green with envy).
Thank you for the nice comment on Bertie. I wasnt a decision i rushed into lightly. Hes a love.
Never had a highland so im finding it interesting. Hes very clever is your girl?????
Cant wait to get him upto being ridden. The way hes going i would say it will be quite soon. I wont rush him because of his knees and i see how he goes regarding his work load.
the family he came from couldnt use him for showing so he was going to waste.
So now hes with me god help him...............
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
LOL... He is a real sweetie thank you. im hoping he will be my next show horse.
He has alot of growing to do and didnt have the best starts in life................
Thank you for your kind comment..... Another fan to his club....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by mad4jacks View Post
Hello Moobli.
I would just introduce some light work. They are probs on the best grazing(which has made me go green with envy).
Thank you for the nice comment on Bertie. I wasnt a decision i rushed into lightly. Hes a love.
Never had a highland so im finding it interesting. Hes very clever is your girl?????
Cant wait to get him upto being ridden. The way hes going i would say it will be quite soon. I wont rush him because of his knees and i see how he goes regarding his work load.
the family he came from couldnt use him for showing so he was going to waste.
So now hes with me god help him...............
Thanks for the advice We do have the right sort of grazing for Natives up here (and Highlands were my fave ) but not really for anything much else horse-wise (too high up and exposed, oh and cold and snowy in winter)
I am very excited as I have finally bought a saddle and my instructor is coming up tomorrow to check it fits properly and will then be giving us a lesson. I have only sat on Marilla bareback a couple of times, so am really excited about getting out and about properly on her. We live on a 14,000 acre sporting estate with loads of old drovers tracks and shooting tracks criss-crossing the hills, so is ideal for riding without having to go on any roads.

She is very smart and also has the most gentle nature. As she is my first horse (well except for my shetland) I don't have many others to compare her to - other than riding school horses and trekking ponies I have been on, but have heard that Highlands are a clever breed.

Do the family who had Bertie know you are thinking of riding him? (Wasn't he advertised as a non-riding pony)? It would be brilliant if you could bring him on slowly and eventually be able to ride him.

More Bertie pics please
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I am very excited as I have finally bought a saddle and my instructor is coming up tomorrow to check it fits properly and will then be giving us a lesson.
Brilliant!!! You'll have to let me know how you get on!

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Brilliant!!! You'll have to let me know how you get on!

Helen
Of course
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the advice We do have the right sort of grazing for Natives up here (and Highlands were my fave ) but not really for anything much else horse-wise (too high up and exposed, oh and cold and snowy in winter)
I am very excited as I have finally bought a saddle and my instructor is coming up tomorrow to check it fits properly and will then be giving us a lesson. I have only sat on Marilla bareback a couple of times, so am really excited about getting out and about properly on her. We live on a 14,000 acre sporting estate with loads of old drovers tracks and shooting tracks criss-crossing the hills, so is ideal for riding without having to go on any roads.

She is very smart and also has the most gentle nature. As she is my first horse (well except for my shetland) I don't have many others to compare her to - other than riding school horses and trekking ponies I have been on, but have heard that Highlands are a clever breed.

Do the family who had Bertie know you are thinking of riding him? (Wasn't he advertised as a non-riding pony)? It would be brilliant if you could bring him on slowly and eventually be able to ride him.More Bertie pics please
Hi yeah they do. They actually suggested that some light work would be good for him. Trust me if he cant cope with riding i wnt do it. They didnt put it on the advert because they didnt want him being run into the ground.
I know them through showing so they knew he wouldnt get over worked etc, with me.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >