Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
It's amazing but Georgies behaviour is just like Baruska, she only rarely shows any affection, but as soon as OH goes away on her own she's howling and won't move 'till she comes back.

And with the car bit, Rianna is like Zena, she will run back to the car and just look and wait, no stress or whining or anything but get her back out of the car, no way I have a theory that they think of it as a place of safety.

Anyway, it looks like you have a plan now for old Georgie which will keep this mange at bay and also keep the AB's down to minimun, I hope it works out the way you want H
Thanks H. that's strange to hear the very same with your two, anybody would have thought the SA would have been from the dog who is glued to your side when you're about wouldn't they! Same indoors, if ever I have to shut them in a room to get something done without them under my feet, it's old George who howls the place down, and even if Zena is shut in a room for 5 mins on her own, not a peep out of her, and she's totally relaxed when I let her out again! Unless I've had a visitor of course, then that's a different matter, she doesn't like that, how very dare I see to a visitor without her in charge lol!

Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Hope the new regime works for Georgie and that was a cunning plan with Zena:

Hope you had a lovely ramble
Thanks Sue, yes that plan was brilliant and I'm going to use the same tactics when I go back in 2 weeks' time. If it works hey?!

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I hope it all works well for dear Georgie and Zena lets her pad heal before screeching to any more abrupt halts.
thanks Bev. Oh yes, Zena's carpal pads are getting quite a nightmare, it's the rain that has brought the flints up in places I walk, they're like razors and although I'm very careful to throw that ball in the long stuff, you can't stop her running around like a loon and braking like a loon when I haven't thrown the ball can you! At least I know how to deal with them now, she's had road walks and quiet with no ball, but that's all over now, the ball is back lol!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks H. that's strange to hear the very same with your two, anybody would have thought the SA would have been from the dog who is glued to your side when you're about wouldn't they! Same indoors, if ever I have to shut them in a room to get something done without them under my feet, it's old George who howls the place down, and even if Zena is shut in a room for 5 mins on her own, not a peep out of her, and she's totally relaxed when I let her out again!
The one common factor is you had Zena from a puppy same as Rianna but Georgie came to you from some other owner (That's from my memory of what you've told us) and Baruska also went to another familly and had to be taken back from them by the breeder when they couldn't cope and were thinking of having her PTS.

So I believe Zena and Rianna are so totally trusting in us that they don't worry when we're gone for a short while, we've always been there for them and they believe we always will be in the future, kinda touching isn't it
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Poor old Georgie. Hope it all goes well for you xx
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Good plan H!

Hope Georgie gets well soon
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
The one common factor is you had Zena from a puppy same as Rianna but Georgie came to you from some other owner (That's from my memory of what you've told us) and Baruska also went to another familly and had to be taken back from them by the breeder when they couldn't cope and were thinking of having her PTS.

So I believe Zena and Rianna are so totally trusting in us that they don't worry when we're gone for a short while, we've always been there for them and they believe we always will be in the future, kinda touching isn't it
That's the way I feel about it H, coz actually this was even the very first time I've left her in the car all alone, let alone the fact I had taken Georgie off somewhere without her, so I was quite amazed in her total calmness in there, it's wonderful isn't it, knowing they hold so much trust in us to know we can just leave them anywhere and they know we'll be back for them. I can see why Georgie doesn't feel that way, even though he's been here 7 years now, I suppose they never forget do they

Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Poor old Georgie. Hope it all goes well for you xx
thanks Berger, he's not actually poorly at the moment, he's full of zing and I put up some pics of today's walk just to confirm how well he's feeling! Bless his old heart, he'll go on longer than me that old boy I'm sure!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Good plan H!

Hope Georgie gets well soon
Thanks Azz If ever you get a dog of this breed, always remember to think that one step ahead and you'll be ok!!! I have more cunning plans up my sleeve for tonight's Stronghold attack lol!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh heck Helena........wouldn't it be wonderful to have trouble free dogs!!!

I hope that the new strategy sorts Georgie out, and even though I have heard so often that too many ABs are not good for dogs, there are times when one has to totally forget this sort of advice and remember that with an elderly dog with severe issues absolutely anything that may help has to be embraced. You and I are in the same kennel here, although for slightly different reasons..........regular ABs to my mind are definitely the the way to go. Especially if the type is slightly varied from time to time just so that they don't get used to the same one.

As for Zena and her cut pad.............she and Jimmi can both go and stand in the naughty corner until they have healed up again. Trouble is, we wouldn't want to lessen their quality of life would we - so perhaps bionic paws are the answer My vet has already suggested this, however we have already funded his latest 4 x 4, so feel that someone else should be responsible for his trek to China!

Give both dogs a big cuddle from me
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Lol at you and your vet with his 4x4 and China trip Sally!!! I had the opposite today with mine, he was adamant he was going to save me some money, by giving me 10% off the ab's, giving me a great in depth explaination as to why they are so expensive, and telling me he wouldn't charge me for today or even my next visit

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out a way of protecting these carpal pads coz this is about my 4th time of slicing one of them Afterall, we have protective boots for horses don't we, so why can't they come up with a pair of carpal pad protecting boots for dogs lol! I'm going to Google and see what I can come up with It would only take a velcro pair of brushing boots wouldn't it, with a big bubble for that carpal pad, hmmmmm, you might be seeing me on Dragon's Den in the near future!!!

Yes, what with my two and your little Jimmi, we'll always remain poor that's for sure.

The vet did say that it's all up to Georgie as to how long he can tolerate these ab's, BUT, if we carry on with them until we've completely cleared this eruption up, then we stand more of a chance of doing them once a month and I more than agree with his theory there. I asked him about that bath, but he said it won't do any good with Georgie coz it's pretty clear atm, I just have to keep brushing off the brown bits as the ab's are doing their work. Hey ho then Sally
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Glad that all went well at the vets with your cunning plan!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Lol at you and your vet with his 4x4 and China trip Sally!!! I had the opposite today with mine, he was adamant he was going to save me some money, by giving me 10% off the ab's, giving me a great in depth explaination as to why they are so expensive, and telling me he wouldn't charge me for today or even my next visit

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out a way of protecting these carpal pads coz this is about my 4th time of slicing one of them Afterall, we have protective boots for horses don't we, so why can't they come up with a pair of carpal pad protecting boots for dogs lol! I'm going to Google and see what I can come up with It would only take a velcro pair of brushing boots wouldn't it, with a big bubble for that carpal pad, hmmmmm, you might be seeing me on Dragon's Den in the near future!!!

Yes, what with my two and your little Jimmi, we'll always remain poor that's for sure.

The vet did say that it's all up to Georgie as to how long he can tolerate these ab's, BUT, if we carry on with them until we've completely cleared this eruption up, then we stand more of a chance of doing them once a month and I more than agree with his theory there. I asked him about that bath, but he said it won't do any good with Georgie coz it's pretty clear atm, I just have to keep brushing off the brown bits as the ab's are doing their work. Hey ho then Sally
Hmmmm, well find a way of keeping those boots on active doggies.......then go for Peter Jones!!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >