Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I really think its that people cant be botherd to work with animals that they are so quick to give them away When my mum had my younger sister there was no thought of giving up the dog, he was part of the family.

On a lighter note I saw this the other day, a much better way to do things

'MUST RE-HOME due to new addition to family. After two long years of being on a waiting list for a special German Shepherd dog, we have been notified by the breeder that, at long last, our number has come up and WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!!!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children this weekend!

They are described as:
One male - His name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition! He doesn't bite, is temperament tested, does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had Chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained & gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female - Her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix),strawberry blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. She can be surly at times, is a non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy & can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls & little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training - shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them; that is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.

I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here!!! They MUST be placed in rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.
lol I rememeber reading this a while back, makes me laugh
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
My dogs are deliberately thrown into situations with children.

Benjie - he had a fear of children, but after having a 4 and a 1 and a half year old feeding him sausages under the table at a family BBQ, and other children feeding him etc, he now allows my neighbours 5 year old to hang around his neck - well once, she's been told not to do it. He is also very good with Maya - my niece.

Sadie - she's grown up with children - she's been bitten, scratched, kicked during paddys and been used as a walker, not the best way to be brought up by kids - but I an guarantee she is 100% bomb proof with children.

Louie - not sure of strange children but the 2 and 5 year old Sadie has to live with are great trainers for him. You can never be too sure how children will act or puppies - but Louie will allow Bailey (2) to take his bone, ball or whatever he has in his mouth or possession and can wander around the room with it and Louie will just sit there and watch. He is unsure of Maya, but the only kids he's really ever met are the ones who can walk, as she is carried still - he's a bit like "Oooh whats that" but all he really wants to do is lick her feet

So 1 of my dogs is brill, and two are on their way. But if I ever had children, well I'd bring them up the same way I was - respect nature. I was brought up around my Aunt's OES's I got woo'd to sleep, licked when I cried and I reckon that's the beginning of my love of dogs.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I can see what you're saying but I was thinking the opposite watching an episode of "It's me or the dog USA" the other day....

There was a couple with a Weimeraner that had already bitten 2 children and was fear aggressive to children and strangers. Also dog-aggressive/reactive. It was poorly bred-they had done all the wrong things and bought it from someone who met them in a car park with the puppy. The lady owner was 6 month's pregnant.

However, I think it would be terribly risky to have this dog in a situation with a new-born baby, or any child. Victoria Stillwell stressed that the dog would never be cured but would always need to be "managed" in its reactions. Would most people want to risk this dog re-offending with their own child's safety at risk?
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Absolutely Brilliant!!

I must admit that I feel that you can always tell the children who don't grow up with dogs/pets. They are a right pain around other people's dogs and have no kind spirit about them. I'm probably not explaining this very well but there's a distinct difference between these children and mine and other friends kids who have grown up from babies around pets.

Having pets, particularly dogs, forces kids away from play stations etc. My kids are now teenagers and love walking the dogs. As I speak, one child is cuddled up on the settee with one dog while the other is doing homework with Skye at her feet. What could be better than a child's relationship with a pet dog!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
my baby is gona be crawling around on all fours either barking or meowing. i have had a few people ask me when am i getting rid. crazy
ATD x
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Really really annoys me too. Often they say they can't cope with a baby and a dog, well what are they going to do if they have a second baby? Get rid of the first?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
adverts like this:

'beautiful Northern Inuit puppy. She is 8 months old, but we need to rehome her as we have our second child on the way, and we can no longer give her the attention she deserves. She is amazing with children and well trained. '

Yep, I agree it isn't right but the dogs will be better off in a home where they are appreciated and part of the family, assumming they get 'sold' or passed on to the right people.
TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I really think its that people cant be botherd to work with animals that they are so quick to give them away When my mum had my younger sister there was no thought of giving up the dog, he was part of the family.

On a lighter note I saw this the other day, a much better way to do things

'MUST RE-HOME due to new addition to family. After two long years of being on a waiting list for a special German Shepherd dog, we have been notified by the breeder that, at long last, our number has come up and WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!!!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children this weekend!

They are described as:
One male - His name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition! He doesn't bite, is temperament tested, does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had Chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained & gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female - Her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix),strawberry blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. She can be surly at times, is a non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy & can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls & little boys but does not like to share her toys and therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training - shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them; that is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.

I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here!!! They MUST be placed in rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.
Hmmmm maybe I should do this Reminds me of a sign I have at home that says 'Had to get rid of the children, the cat was allergic'

I find the idea strange especially when many people get a dog whilst their children are young and manage just fine. I do understand that in some cases rehoming a dog may be for the best but I dont think that expecting a child is a good enough reason on its own and probably an excuse most of the time. Mind you Ive heard worse excuses, one family I used to know got rid of their young GSD because its tail was too waggy
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post

Luckily I own a wonderful breed who are fabulous with their babies, (contrary to popular media belief ) a breed which used to be used in japan, left to babysit the babies of the family.
I find it really interesting (odd, maybe) that the dogs people seem to think are SO BAD were actually a bunch of nanny dogs. Pit bulls were left to guard babies too, yet they're seen a horrible light and even banned. So strange.

And I will NEVER understand people who simply dump pets when they get pregnant. Like those dogs or cats were just "starter babies" and now that the "real" thing is coming along, it's time to get rid of the other one and get down to business.

I'm glad my friends didn't do that. One friend DID rehome one of her two dogs, but she worked for a year with that dog to get him more comfortable (he was fine with the infants -- they had twins -- but when the boys began to crawl and then walk, he got really really uncomfortable). She didn't rehome the dog to protect her kids. She rehomed him because he was clearly unhappy and she thought he deserved a better life. Since they got him through a rescue, someone from the rescue took him back in and fell in love. Happy ending for all. The remaining dog lets the kids (now 3 1/2) crawl all over him and is happy as can be with them.

These, btw, were Golden retrievers. Dogs that everyone things are amazing family dogs. One was. The other needed to be around older kids and adults.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Generally speaking, it would seem to me to just be laziness. Something which is too common these days. A lot of people don't seem to want to put any effort into anything!

In my experience, the bit of effort required to ensure pets and children get on is well worth it!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >