Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Oh bless. Bet you are exhausted.
Seems fast to put them onto Hills, I have only had a dog put onto that when he was recovering from an operation on his intestines...

I would not feed them for a few hours and let everything settle, then give them a little bit of chicken and rice. In the morning...more chicken and rice and perhaps a little natural yoghurt mixed in, that always works wonders here. I'd keep them on the chicken and rice and then the day after tomorrow, if all is well...slowly introduce their normal food again.

For what it's worth a friend of mine found the Orijen was too rich for her dog and so ended up changing to Fish 4 Dogs, as the Orijen made her dogs tummy squiffy.

Here's to a speedy recovery.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I would starve for 24 hrs then put onto chicken and mashed potatoe. If you want to feed a tinned food then try chappie it is better than the hills stuff and better on the pocket too.
Always feed little and often too, don't overload the stomach.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear your dogs are ill.
When one of mine damaged his throat/gut recently I kept him on fish4dogs salmon mousse & overcooked rice. I fed him 4 x small meals for a few days until he recovered.
Hope they improve soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Neither of my dogs would touch the stuff, either the tinned, or the dry, they both walked away!

As Claire has said up there, just cook your own chicken breast by boiling it, add some mash potato (brilliant for settlling and binding) and feed little and often. It's absolutely ridiculous what it says on that tin the amount to feed a dog, especially when it has an upset tum!!! I think you'd be lucky to get one whole tin of it into any dog throughout an entire day quite honestly!

If this carries on, ask your vet about giardia, coz for both dogs to be like this it must be something they've both contracted or have in their systems, i.e. bacteria or worms. He'll know, just ask the vet if he thinks it's a possibility. When did you last worm, is it up to date? Good luck, this must be awful along with very worrying for you.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:57 PM
When my dogs have an upset stomach I give them Chappie and some Pro-Kolin paste (it contains pre and probiotics so i'm sure yoghurt would do the same) and they settle in no time.

I dont do cooking so it's easier for me to give them Chappie than to start boiling chicken and rice!
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
When my dogs have an upset stomach I give them Chappie
Same here if i dont have any chicken in, i always have a tin of chappie and its always worked well here.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I didn't mention initially but they have both been given ABs and we've were given the kaolin paste too, they hated it so will have to me devious me thinks , I starved them for the bulk of the day and they've had some boiled rice and cooked chicken for supper/tea. They both seem much better in themselves just completely knackered so I'm being collapsed on top of a lot, poor things they just want the reassurance I think. I'm going to take the Hills back to the vets, I'd honestly rather give them something that I know won't upset their already delicate tums rather than try the ID again seeing what effect it had overnight, there was nothing else it could be I don't think, the vets have never stressed them out before so think it might have just been too much for their systems introducing something new. They've been on the orijen for several months so I'm almost positive it's not food related, I spoke to a girl from our training group and her dog picked up a tummy bug a few weeks ago from drinking out of puddles which Chester certainly is a nightmare for. I will do an ASDA run for chicken tomorrow, house full of veggies here so I won't be cooking it myself I'm afraid, and will prepare some so they can have a little lunch as well as squeezing in two smaller meals in the afternoon/evening. Thankyou all so much for your advice and support, hopefully the boys will now have a speedy recovery!!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Jessi, if it is drinking out of puddles then it may be Giardia, characterised by sulphur-smelling rotten-egg frothy yellow liquid poo (it's amoebic dysentery in humans). If that's what your guys have then they need specific AB's, or Panacur. Hopefully not though - it's very unpleasant!
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm hoping it's not that then, it was just a passing comment I think to say that there are lots of bugs around just like with people atm I suppose, tis the season and all. The ABs they've been given are broad spectrum and Griffin's allergic to panacur so hope we don't need to go back and get different ABs, will be sure to keep a close eye on them now I know what I'm looking for, thankyou for the heads up!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2