View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
U can't watch the video but from the pic the cat isn't happy. The way he is sat and his ear lay flat not a happy bunny at all. Unless this significantly changes throughout the video it isn't fair of the cat. The dog is interested and not lunging or going for the cat so this stance isn't warrented unless he doesn't like dogs.
ATD x
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
one of my cats is like that whenever xeva is awake, but yet he can walk up to my adult and cuddle up to him, my eldest cat bella is also has days where she is a bit of a humpty witch and whacks the dogs just for walking past her, yet other times is curled up beside again my adult dog ( xeva is still pushing her luck when it comes to the cats) they will rule the roost as soon as they put xeva firmly in her place

in the video, the cat tells a few of the dogs off for being too curious, this is just a cats way isnt it?

yet at the end of the video the cat was out of the cage and rubbing up against other dogs, so the cat is clearly fine being around dogs.

the cats handler states in the video that sometimes this cat gets a better read on dogs that they otherwise thought was calm, but they had to think twice about placing the dog in a home with a cat because of the cats reaction.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:26 AM
This is terrible .

The cat was clearly very stressed whilst in the cage and different dogs were going up to it. It was not happy and it was not feeling safe or secure.

It does appear the cat was different whilst with some dogs when out of the cage at the end of the video, BUT that was different circumstances and the cat had the option of FLIGHT if necesssary.And I suspect this cat is very good at reading what dogs are safe and what dogs are not.

People often cannot read cats, they don't see the signs of stress and fear. (Cats will often think that if they can't see the aggressor, the aggressor can't see them, and that sort of thing, which really confuses people and their owners).

I suspect the person assuring us the Pogo is Ok is a dog person and not a cat or animal one.

Wys
x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Im am amazed at how many people thought the Cat was ok! Clearly people who do not know Cats behaviour, or who do not own them.

If that were a dog crouched on its stomach in the corner of a cage, panting, while dogs went and poked it, barked at it, growled at it etc.. would you all think that was ok too?
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Agree with Dawn, not sure that is fair to that poor cat, she was clearly stressed.

At the end she seemed more at ease as she had options. She doesn't understand that the cage is "protecting" her, only that it is preventing her from protecting herself.

I understand the need to cat test dogs, but surely there is a more humane way. Lose the cage? Muzzle the dogs and keep them well in hand? Provide the cat various gettaway options (trees, tunnels, hidey holes)

Surely if this cat really "reads" dogs better than most, she would know when to run and when to greet the dog in a friendly manner? Could they not get just as much information this way?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2