View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Actually I have read it, and not just in her book, however I am a practical person, and in practice dogs respond just as well to verbal clicker words, provided the giver is consistent!

I have a lot of clients who do not like, want or can handle the clicker so I give them the option of using the word and they have huge success with it.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Fair enough. I have more or less used the clicker exclusively with Etta having read that and she is amazingly fast at picking things up. I think that is possibly a breed trait though.

My clicker word is 'Good' which isn't the brightest thing in the world but my mouth reacts before my head does!

rune
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You have probably read it and I can't remember the details but in Karen Priors latest book there isn't there a scientific explaination as to why the clicker or other similar signal is better?

rune
Yes in "Reaching the Animal Mind" it explains scientifically why voice markers are less effective, not that they cant be used, but they don't work nearly as well. And she explains how to go about using a voice marker, if you have to.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2