Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
I read a letter in a magazine recently regarding squeaky toys for puppies.
I've also heard a dog trainer mention the same thing. She constantly says, 'Have you heard the noise a baby makes when screaming'?!
So can a squeaky toy encourage a puppy to bite hard when older. And if the biting results in a scream from a child would the dog pursue it and continue.

I think dogs are a little more intelligent than that but is there any connection?
No.
Which is why gundogs and hounds haven`t got a huge reputation as baby-eaters.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've never heard the sqeaky toy one before but I've heard that high prey drive dogs may mistake a crying baby for prey because of the noises it makes.
Squeaky toys are supposed to mimic the animal dying - to me it's just an annoying sound tbh, I haven't heard any animal die with a squeak.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I think I know the person who wrote the letter (of if she didn't, she's certainly in support of it) and I have a lot of respect for her and her knowledge of dogs....however, she doesn't really have that great a knowledge of pet dogs.

I do agree that a squeeky toy can highly excite some dogs, as does the game of tug. But my argument to her is that as long as the games are carried out properly, they are actually in the dog's interest as they teach the dog a number of things such as:
what is appropriate to play with and what isn't
to stop playing when told
to readily give up the squeeky/ragger when asked

Personally I think that a dog who does get over stimulated by a shreeking cry and/or the action of ragging would be like this whether or not they had been allowed to play with squeeky and/or tug toys.

The only way I could see these toys might make a dog dangerous is if the owner continually teases the dog and winds the dog up into a frenzy. Mind you, with some of the owners that we hear about, it wouldn't surprise me if they did do this
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Squeaky toys are supposed to mimic the animal dying - to me it's just an annoying sound tbh, I haven't heard any animal die with a squeak.
My unashamed killer of other animals is scared to death of sqeaky toys, what does that say about how much they sound like a dying animal? I lived in a rat infested block of flats, I never heard any of the rats he killed sqeak as they died. Neither did the birds. Now, I have heard a hedgehog scream as my Rottie mix carried it to us but that didn't sound like a sqeaky toy.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've never heard the sqeaky toy one before but I've heard that high prey drive dogs may mistake a crying baby for prey because of the noises it makes.
foxes round here sound like babys!... squeaky toys r squeaky toys imo.
lwatson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Yep, total tosh.....All my dogs have had toys that squeak and that has never made them snappy. As a pup I would always make sure that you can take the toy from the pup without them snapping at you but thats all.

I did hear once that you should give gundogs toys to playwith as it makes them hard mouthed but our have always been 50% pet and 50% worker and them having toys have not done any harm.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
...eh? wtf? where'd that come from
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 04:41 PM
When I was a young girl i played with dolls & occasionally put cindy & action man 'together' but didn't grow up to become promiscuas(sp?) I had a few toy guns, but have never shot anyone in real life. My favorate sweets have always been Candy sticks (sweety cigarettes) but I have never smoked. I love horror films, I'm not a psycho.

I'm sure it's the same with dogs, just because they like a peticular toy doesn't make them 'bad'.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I think the Squeaky toys make dogs baby killers is right up there with feeding dogs raw meat makes them blood thirsty killers.

Silly! What will some people think of next!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Load of rubbish, I'm sure a dog knows the difference between a baby and a kong air.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >