Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I tried clicker retrieve last night with Louie - he ran to the ball, then thought hang on she has food! and ran back to me, then the second time he picked up the ball brought it half way then dropped it and sat for a treat - grrrrrrrrr - I gave up after that, it was that video that Sue Currie posted - I want my dogs to be like them!
Sit down somewhere---I usually use the bathroom! Have a pot of treats a clicker and something the dog doesn't generally play with----I use the inside of a loo roll. That way I can tell if the dog is mouthing it a lot.

Hold out item to dog, as soon as dogs nose touches or aims at item click and treat. Carry on waiting for dog to do a bit more each time and accepting less if it becomes confused. After a while dog will put mouth round item while you are holding it, move on to dog taking item. Try not to click as the dog lets go of it as you are aiming at a longer hold. If you do click wrong don't worry reward him anyway----the click is a deal and means reward always.

When you have a hold put a word in as the dog takes the item, its OK if he drops it after the click as the click ends the behaviour. Then use a word for letting go and click that if you want to---I wouldn't do that till you have a rock solid hold.

Then you can transfer it to different objects and different situations but don't use it unless you can do it properly.

rune
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sit down somewhere---I usually use the bathroom! Have a pot of treats a clicker and something the dog doesn't generally play with----I use the inside of a loo roll. That way I can tell if the dog is mouthing it a lot.

Hold out item to dog, as soon as dogs nose touches or aims at item click and treat. Carry on waiting for dog to do a bit more each time and accepting less if it becomes confused. After a while dog will put mouth round item while you are holding it, move on to dog taking item. Try not to click as the dog lets go of it as you are aiming at a longer hold. If you do click wrong don't worry reward him anyway----the click is a deal and means reward always.

When you have a hold put a word in as the dog takes the item, its OK if he drops it after the click as the click ends the behaviour. Then use a word for letting go and click that if you want to---I wouldn't do that till you have a rock solid hold.

Then you can transfer it to different objects and different situations but don't use it unless you can do it properly.

rune
I use the landing for recall and fetch things - it's long and narrow and not too interesting
Se I would use loo roll tubes but he takes them and tears them up on my mums carpet

I'm teaching him hold at the moment, he knows "take it" for when I give him post he knows "To grandad" then he runs to my dad, then "put it down" for release - I'm not a fan of the clicker as I cant get my timings right, no matter what I try and I just cant get on with it. I do use it though and I am trying to work on my timings with Sadie - as she already knows commands and will do it with and without the clicker. He knows "look" now.

So I'll have to try and prevail with the Hold and then Bring. But I dont suppose I could get away with him picking the ball up and clicking as a reward? Thanks for the advice, when I have some time later I will try
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Just tried the two with the towel with Tom the Lurcher and

Found the treat on a few seconds and the towel on his head and shoulders lasted even less time but he was found as a stray so maybe developed his survival techniques ! Will need to try the barrier !
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2