View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I am so sad to read this, and my heart goes out to you. Just remember that your little dog is so lucky to have such a loving caring owner, and take some comfort in knowing that you are doing all that you can.

Just talking to people on here may be of some help, and don't be afraid to ramble on about your feelings because most of us understand.
anna0000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Sending huge hugs xxxxxxxxxx

You sound like you are doing everything for her, giving her all the love and everything she needs, keep doing that, and enjoy every minute, don't think about tomorrow, enjoy today with her, don't let her see you sad or cry. The best bit of advice I got was "Don't let her get depressed for a minute."

She has been so lucky to have lived with you for so long, you're obviously doing a good job caring for her so well.

Our dog has terminal cancer and he is only 6, everyday I wake up thinking how unfair it is, he is so young, he is on chemo so doing well for now, but it can't be cured, and after this course when the cancer comes back, probably in under a years time, we are going to have to let him go, it's so sad, he's not ready to go. But I thank god that I can let him go when the time is right and he doesn't have to suffer, like humans with cancer do, such pain.

I feed him everything he loves, raw pork ribs, chicken wings, I cook him a chicken weekly and let him nibble the skin off like he loves to do! I cook delicious meals for him twice a day. He always has a bone nearby. When he wants hugs I give him plenty, I let him sleep on our bed whenever he wants. I never tug at his lead or raise my voise. He goes out for walks when and as far as he likes, he takes as long as he likes. I try to meet up with all his doggy friends when he's up to it, and take him on short trips out and about.

Like you, he's had a fantastic life with us, albeit for only 4 years, and I tell myself that as often as I can.

Stick around here, like you say, it's only dog lovers that understand. Sending lots of health and happiness xxxxx
Thanks for your reply,it was very nice of you to write, even though your going through a bad time to, I hope things go ok for you, I am sending you lots of health and happiness to.
Thanks also to everone else for your replies, its so nice to have people who understand excatly what I mean and how I feel. Mollys not to bad at the moment, we have bathed the scab a few times and she had 2 meals yesterday and a few biscuits. I worry as soon as she wont eat but then eventually she does.She still will do her trick of speaking when I ask her to, for a treat, I love to look at her little face as she concentrates on doing it for me. I wish I could keep moments like that stopped in time. Thanks everyone again for taking the time to write to me, I hope all your dogs are doing ok
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Sorry to hear this, it's obviously so sad for you. Hope you manage to keep her comfortable for a while yet. You'll know when it's time. Take care and give your little Westie a hug from me. xx
anna0000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks Westie_N... I was worried today that she wasn't eating much, but a few hours ago she had some chicken, she likes peanut butter on her chews, so she had abit of that today to and a little bit of milk.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi Anna ,sorry to hear Molly is not well..
I have lost many dogs over the years, the last was was a 9 month old puppy with kidney failure.
Does anyone know of anything else i can do for her?
..I guess you are doing everything you can already.

I would be feeding Molly three small meals a day of easily digested food like fish (tinned salmon is also good) /chicken/scrambled egg/boiled rice/tripe.
I would try to keep the sores dry, if they have to be bathed I would use a saline mixture.
Take care giving milk, many dogs are lactose intolerant and it can give them a runny tummy.

For her bed I would use a pillow with old cotton pillow cases which can be easily changed and washed to help keep the sores clean and dry .

Short walks, sleep when she can and of course lots of cuddles
bridienme
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I feel so much for you as I lost my 11 year old westie last June. She too had mammary cancer but was operated on successfully only to develop Westie Lung a short time later. We only had her for 4 years as she was a rescue dog but she became the centre of our lives. The hardest part to us was knowing when she had had enough and someone told me, she will let you know and she did. When the time comes that your beloved pet no longer enjoys even the simplest things, you will see in her behaviour and her eyes that she's had enough of the struggle. Until that time enjoy every moment with lots of hugs and loves. I know it is up to the individual but we decided to get a westie pup straightaway and it helped so much. Even though my heart knows it isn't Rosie, my brain sees this fluffy white monster and finds some peace that she's here.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I`ve nursed quite a few of my oldies though their final months. Dogs are so uncomplaining. They love warmth and soft beds, and little tasty meals, and most of all the security of knowing Mum cares about them.
It is a way to give a little back to these creatures who have given us so much, though it is never easy. I hope your girl has a gentle end, and that you can remember the happy times, rather than the sad ones.
anna0000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Thankyou so much for all your thoughts. I have to sadly say she had to be put to sleep last wednesday. I can't write at the moment what happened again,so I will post a copy of what I wrote to the blue cross berevement e-mail helpline.I know you will all understand....
Hi, I have just lost my dog, she had to be put to sleep wednesday, she had a lump on her chest that was very big, and it had started I think to affect her breathing, the vet had said a while ago he couldnt operate, so we were just trying to make her life easy etc. At the moment I'm not crying but Since then I do quite alot, I also am mad with myself because on that day I didn't spend enough time with her, She had also stopped eating and I tried to get her to have something by opening her mouth and puting something in, I worry I hurt her, I didn't know she was going to go that day, and wish I had stroked her more etc. I am also upset becuase her breathing was worse so me and my dad took her to an emergancy vet, and I had to decide for her to go, but the vet seemed as if it was just another job, and everthing happened quickly, I started crying and my dad said do you want to stay, but I couldn't, I tried to take a last look at her but I couldnt take it all in, then the vet started to shave her leg and I had to go, I hate myself for going, I should of been there for her. Everytime I think of that moment I cry, she was sitting there with my dad holding her, I said to her I love you, and she was my baby but I left her, she was starting to dribble I dont know if it was because of her breathing but she looked so helpless.I hope the vet treated her with some respect, because I feel I didntt give her enough then. Sorry I've got to stop for now because of crying, but I hope its ok to write again

RIP Molly 1996-2010... I love you so much x
bridienme
New Member!
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Reading this I am flowing with tears as it brings back what we had to do to help Rosie.

Please remember, you did the bravest thing for your dog, your best friend. You stopped her suffering.

I couldn't stay with Rosie either, I hugged her, told her I would always love her, even smelt her one more time and then left her with my husband while I went outside and said a prayer for her. Be Strong.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.
You loved her so much and she knew that. It is so hard, I know.
xxx
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >