View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 12:21 PM
The success is short lived - I'm afraid. I have his attention for a little while whilst out and then if he sees a dog - I'm screwed.

I suppose I'll have to just be patient and keep at it. I ran out of treats half way round on our walk - so I resorted to teh other method of heeling on a lead.

Whenever he went infront I would say "AhAa" and turn and walk in the opposite direction - it worked then he saw a westie and was like let me play. I didnt. But I let him chase some magpies in a small field bit since I taught him the word "Birdie" He might as well have a play - his recalls better - I just have to get REALLY excited for him to come back.

The problem I have is his nose is almost half the time always on the floor, I lift his head but I blame the springer in him. Looks like the Halti is coming back out.

Thanks for the support guys - I need it, seems like theres only me who actually wants him to do more than sit, down and paw - he is a bright dog and I want to use that to his potential, but now he's realising his own strength it's becoming difficult for me to handle him without getting a finger twisted or a face in the mud. I honestly think that without the support from you guys I'd end up losing it with him.

I'll keep you posted
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Great job! IMO, you're doing great! I LOVE clicker training, but one of the great things about it, is if you're doing it and Adie isn't, it really wont matter much. With that clicker out, you are the most important thing. Now, once you've trained a behavior with the clicker, and you're no longer using it for that behavior, you'll want to see some consistency from your OH, but he should have no issue with a dog already trained, just make sure you do some reminder training sessions

for off lead training, i start them on lead, so I wont lose my dog's attention at first. I also keep sessions short, then let the dogs have play time. BUT what's great with the clicker training, is when, say Louie, is off lead running around being a puppy, when he comes back to you on his own, you can catch that behaviour with a click and treat, then let him go off and play again, you dont have to have regimented training sessions all the time. Catching the appropriate behaviour when the dog is not expecting it makes for a lot more thinking from the dog, if you know what I mean!
So true, I often find my dogs offering random things because they really want that click and treat

It does take a lot of time and consistency though, it will be a long old while before my sheepdogs are heeling on the lead until they are released, and at the start of every training session, Shiloh in particular needs time to calm down and remember what it's all about. When he gets too excited, I put the clicker away and switch to some slow guided walking for a bit, then once he's stopped buzzing about everywhere and started thinking and focussing again, we get the clicker back out.

I've achieved 6 strides with a good heel so far, but the difference is that the dogs are offering it a lot more when we're out walking.

With a pup, it will be a no-go with distractions, does Louie know 'watch me'? That's an invaluable command to get your dog back when something's distracting. And to teach them they get more rewards for ignoring the distractions.

Keep at it - you'll get there, as he's only a baby, you'll probably seem to go backwards sometimes, but he'll get there. I remember the concentration span on this lot before they hit a year old Was a wonder I taught them anything lol!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 02:22 PM
He knows the "Look at me" and whenever I pull a treat out he'll look at the treat then stare at my eyes, I've started to do longer times where he looks at me for 5 seconds and then gets a treat, I'm hoping thats a good way to do it or am I just going to go down the toilet.

Another thing I left out, the day before yesterday, I got Adie's Autistic little brother to use the clicker - he did quite well although he treated then clicked but Louie still knows what it means.

I'm also calling him from different rooms in the house to reinforce his name - he seems to have forgotten it recently so we're going good, he's useless on a long line - Adie has rope burn :L I guess paticence is a virtue atm, So I'll hit the wine tonight and see if I feel better in the morning
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2