Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I agree with Wys who has said a couple of times that it's not a good idea for you to take the toys or whatever away from your older dog. Possession is 9/10ths of the law, especially in a dog's world! By taking toys away from your older dog everytime, he may start to think he's being punished for the growling/lip curling. So the next time he may not give a warning growl but just snap!

If toys or chew sticks etc are important to your older dog, then let him keep them. By restricting their availability you will only make them more important to him & therefore more likely that he will up the ante in protecting them.

It would be far better to remove your puppy from the scenario or distract the puppy with another toy & have a game with her.

So far your older dogs seems to have behaved impeccably with the new pup so it would be a shame to let anything spoil the relationship. Just make sure you supervise things when they are together with toys, & allow your older dog to have an occasional growl just to teach th puppy basic manners.

Great. Thank you guys....I shall take your advice and leave it for Kaiser to deal with, supervised by myself!

AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
If it were me , unless I thought that pup was at risk of being hurt, I would leave them to it , they tend to learn their bounderies quickly xxx But that is just me xxxx
I agree; in the wild this is the way the pups learn their packline position and whilst obviously I wouldn't want the pup to get hurt, I think it is more your older dog showing he is the top dog and doubt he will actually snap or turn on the pup. You are doing the right thing by only having the toys out when you are around and perhaps as you are supervising you could have another toy maybe a squeaky to distract the pup away from the older dog should you be concerned. Good luck xx
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I would leave Kaiser to it under your supervision. He has been a star so far and he is now teaching her advanced stuff. Trust him!!!
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Well, it's finally happened.

Kaiser had a particular toy he gets very territorial over between his legs, & Roxy went to take it. He showed his teeth to warn her, but she tried to take it anyway, and he pinned her down and a fight broke out, well she didn't fight back so I'm guessing he was telling her off and unfortunately caught her lip.

It was awful. He released her as soon as I grabbed him, but woah it happened so quick. I hope it sounds worse then what it actually was. It was horrid!

I'm not sure why she did that. Whether she was just ignorant about it, or she was pushing to see what she could get away with?

I've took the toys away now. They play fantastically when there's no toys. Kaiser gets his football when he's out playing and supervised, but he never really bothered with any other toys before she came. It just seems the safest option? Roxy has her toys when she's in the crate.

Do u think the puppy was challenging him? Did my GSD do wrong? Can anyone put some light on the situation?

Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
Hey guys,

Things are fabulous with my new puppy (OTEBD) and my GSD.

He adores her. Clambering over his head, playing all day long. He lets her get away with so much.

Every so often when they play with toys, he'll become possessive.
He'll put it on the floor, and she'll try and get it. Very sneakily mind. He'll show his teeth and she keeps pushing and testing to see how far she can go.

Should I allow him to tell her off. I normally just go over, stroke him and then take it away.
I know I start to panic and try to prevent her being told off!!

Am I being over protective trying to stop something that's quite natural?!

Havent read the whole thread just the op bu......

What a fabulous fabulous lesson your older dog is teaching your younger one!

Gosh how lucky are you and your young puppy to have such a great "teaching" dog to help your puppy understand the rules of dog. This is a very valuable lesson indeed, the rule of possession, and the effectiveness of your adult teachings will really help your youngster stay out of trouble with other dogs in the future, even after puppy licence has expired.

I would DEFINATLY leave them to it to sort it out. This is dog stuff and humans can so easily louse it up if they get involved.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
Well, it's finally happened.

Kaiser had a particular toy he gets very territorial over between his legs, & Roxy went to take it. He showed his teeth to warn her, but she tried to take it anyway, and he pinned her down and a fight broke out, well she didn't fight back so I'm guessing he was telling her off and unfortunately caught her lip.

It was awful. He released her as soon as I grabbed him, but woah it happened so quick. I hope it sounds worse then what it actually was. It was horrid!

I'm not sure why she did that. Whether she was just ignorant about it, or she was pushing to see what she could get away with?

I've took the toys away now. They play fantastically when there's no toys. Kaiser gets his football when he's out playing and supervised, but he never really bothered with any other toys before she came. It just seems the safest option? Roxy has her toys when she's in the crate.

Do u think the puppy was challenging him? Did my GSD do wrong? Can anyone put some light on the situation?

It seems you puppy has finally learned that consequences really do exist and should be taken seriously.

have you ever seen anyone say to their child...

"if you do that again, I'll...??, I said if you do that again I will......., listen, I SAID IF YOU DO THAT again I will smack you, send you to your room, take your chocolate away, tell your dad......(ets) I SAID IF YOU DO THAT AGAIN......"????

What does the child learn - Whatever mum says, she doesnt mean it, nothign ever happens.

Your pup just learnt that if she ignores, growling, snarling, snapping, staring and freezing, the next thing that follows., may well be pain. Another great lesson. All of my puppies benefitted from such great lessons. And now they are out there teaching others and making the language of dog, known to loads more.

Personally I'd put the toys back and let them get on with it
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I would leave Kaiser to it under your supervision. He has been a star so far and he is now teaching her advanced stuff. Trust him!!!
Couldnt agree more !!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Im sorry you have had a scuffle now

I know my advice is at odds from lots of peoples here, I have said it before but feel free to ignore if you want

I do not alow one dog to take toys off the other dog
A dog should be safe with their food and toys and not feel they have to protect them

Yes its possible the pup will learn a lesson and not do it again
But puppies can be really slow to learn and it means your poor older dog is having to escalate his warninghs and learnnig that fighting is the only way to keep toys

My friends dog now cannot be in the same room as another dog when she has a chew or a toy becuase she will launch a pre emptive strike

I think its fairer on both dogs if YOU set the rules and enforce them
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I keep trying to tell her no and show her other toys, but she would insist on going back to his.

Just this one time I thought I'll see what happens if I don't take the toy away and the fight escalated so quickly I didn't have time to prevent it, but then again, maybe that's what she needed to learn. Although I'm yet to find out if she's learnt form her mistake as I have't dared put another toy down! lol

Kaiser is so so good with her...I mean, look at what he puts up with....She can be a total rat bag!

Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Havent read the whole thread just the op bu......

What a fabulous fabulous lesson your older dog is teaching your younger one!

Gosh how lucky are you and your young puppy to have such a great "teaching" dog to help your puppy understand the rules of dog. This is a very valuable lesson indeed, the rule of possession, and the effectiveness of your adult teachings will really help your youngster stay out of trouble with other dogs in the future, even after puppy licence has expired.

I would DEFINATLY leave them to it to sort it out. This is dog stuff and humans can so easily louse it up if they get involved.
Oh I know.. Kaiser is amazing!!!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >