View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I`ve got stone slabs with plants in containers. Easy to maintain!
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Most of our garden is paved with loads of pots too, but Molly was trained to go on grass and will cross her legs to avoid going on anything else. I often dogsit Mollys friend Leo (another retriever) who quite cheerfully cr*ps anywhere. Must admit I do quite like Molly having her own patch and always using it, keeps the rest of the garden reasonable.
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone,
Mollybobs have you decided about artificial grass yet ? we had it fitted yesterday and it looks great. Scooby uses a flagged area to toilet and so I don't think it will be a problem with smells etc, but he does love tearing up the lawn so I hope that he won't try that with the artificial stuff. Who knows we will see.
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Scooby,

Yes - we went and did it! Had the lawn laid about a week ago and it looks fantastic! Molly uses it no problem, and her poop is easly bagged up (so easy to spot now too)!
We have had no rain since it was laid, but to date, no urine smell
One of the best things I have bought in donkey's years - hope the kitchen that is being fitted as I type looks as good when it is finished!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Those who have problems with urine smells, instead of Dettol or other chemical cleaners, buy yourself a big bottle of white vineger or lemon cleaner. You can dilute it 50:50 with water, and use this to clean it instead - the vinegar/lemon juice is a natural deodouriser as well as antibacterial and it will tackle the smell of the urine (rather than mask it)
I think I'd be tempted to do this when OH and I get our own place, both of us hate mowing and the dogs' part of the current garden looks a state.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have a square about 7'x5' which I put down for the dogs to use as a toilet.
Its brilliant stuff and easy to clean, but whether it is because its a small area my goodness does it pong of wee. I water it well with a dettol solution everyday but I think the smell is now in the soil underneath.
Not sure how I am going to sort it as my dogs will only wee on grass and I don't want them ruining my lovely new lawn.
This is what I was going to say! We have a doggy area in the garden with the artificial grass, it works a treat and looks so pretty but the smell! It is only in the summer when the sun gets on it but my goodness it does pong!!
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the advice about the vinegar - will definitely go for that rather than dettol! Can't smell anything just yet, but will 'freshen' the lawn up in the next week or so anyway. Still treating it like a fragile piece of china at the moment
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Those who have problems with urine smells, instead of Dettol or other chemical cleaners, buy yourself a big bottle of white vineger or lemon cleaner. You can dilute it 50:50 with water, and use this to clean it instead - the vinegar/lemon juice is a natural deodouriser as well as antibacterial and it will tackle the smell of the urine (rather than mask it)
I think I'd be tempted to do this when OH and I get our own place, both of us hate mowing and the dogs' part of the current garden looks a state.
Oh I might try that, good tip.

You can borrow my Hubby he has OCD where the lawn is concerned, I have to keep telling him NOT to mow it as he would do it every day otherwise
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Glad it's good for you Mollybobs, and certainly the white vinegar and lemon juice is a good tip. Pilgrim, that's why we went for the artificial grass as OH was always following Scooby around to stop him from eating the grass.I did wonder if Scooby wouldn't like it ,but I don't think he's noticed any difference, except OH leaves him to get on with it now.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, I have a small shady garden, 2 kids and 3 small dogs and when the builders were doing the loft last summer they killed off most of what was left of my excuse for a lawn!

Can I ask you guys what company you used and how much it cost? Some of the quotes I've been getting have made my eyes water!!!

J.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >