Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I know this might sound like an odd topic, it is sortof

I often take a step back and re-evaluate my thoughts on things, things I do, things I see others do, things I'd do differently, things others would do differently. And then I look at what I think is right, just and noble.

Before anyone thinks I think I am a saint - I don't, and I'm not! In fact I recognise only too well how selfish I, 'we' as humans are.

But anyway, if I could ask you to take a moment to do that - reflect, and say how selfish you would say you are? (We all are to some degree or another - so don't be shy!)

I don't know where the thread will go - but maybe we can have an interesting discussion about it

It's what they call reflective analysis in the Nursing world, something we're all taught to do as Students (although it's surprising how many people are unable to think reflectively! ) and they say reflective thinkers make excellent Nurses as they're able to change their future practice through reflective thinking. Think you might've missed your calling in life Azz?!

Personally I'm a very selfish person in that I like to have time to myself and do as I please (which is why I'm happier single and without kids! ). That said I am very open minded and always reflect and try to consider things from someone elses side so I can change my behaviour for the better in the future if I feel I behaved incorrectly.

Here's a little tool to help you critically analyse your reflections. We used them at Uni and I always find it helps to add structure if I've had a stressful day and am finding it hard to reflect. God I need to get out more!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's what they call reflective analysis in the Nursing world, something we're all taught to do as Students .
It`s called Reflective Practitioner in the tutoring world ...
so he can take up teaching as well.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Lol I wouldn't be good in either of those - I lose patience too quickly (guess that's selfish of me - so still on topic lol).

Funnily enough I think I developed as a person quite a bit via training with an old job (my first 'real' job). We were taught to give people a chance - as everyone has off days(/personal problems) to emphasise not chastise, to go the extra mile for our customers, to work as part of a team etc.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I am sure I am selfish in many respects, as I think the majority may be, but I do not like the word "selfish" - it is a very negative word. If someone says another person is selfish it is usually an insult, often aimed at getting them to feel guilty and can be another way for one person to try to control another.
I would rather look on selfishness as being a mechanisim for self preservation.
Children and babies and other animals are naturally selfish and demanding - otherwise they would not survive very long - it is a natural instinct. Of course, as we grow into adults, we become less helpless and needy and look beyond ourselves, usually learning to control and direct our selfish impulses and defer or re-direct our needs (as well as everything else). If we didn't we would not fit in and be accepted. Frequently, we all have to put ourselves in second place, but it can be very therapeutic to "indulge" and be "selfish" on occasions. This I think is quite healthy and necessary - I believe it is more a question of to what degree are we selfish and can we forego being selfish if we need to or for the sake of others? Sometimes, we are also deliberately generous and "unselfish" just to get that good feeling about ourselves - is this is self- gratification - or another form of selfishness? Just another thought, is it good or bad to be calculating in your actions and put off being selfish to eventually get what you want - or am I getting too vonvoluted now
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It`s called Reflective Practitioner in the tutoring world ...
so he can take up teaching as well.
There's one job in the world I could never do and that's Teaching - and that's coming from a Nurse!

Lol I wouldn't be good in either of those - I lose patience too quickly (guess that's selfish of me - so still on topic lol).
You don't have to have patience Azz just nerves of steel - one of my patients tried to break my arm yesterday! Oh the joys!
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Funnily enough I think I developed as a person quite a bit via training with an old job (my first 'real' job). We were taught to give people a chance - as everyone has off days(/personal problems) to emphasise not chastise, to go the extra mile for our customers, to work as part of a team etc.
Wonderful training in your old job Azz. If we all could only remember to give people a chance.....I must remember to emphasise not chastise.

I'm a person with a pretty positive outlook on life but sometimes I can be quick to judge and I will remember what you have said.

I never was selfish with my husband and children, they were my world and nothing was too much for them. Now I am a bit but still put other people first and if the have the time for me I WANT IT
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
It kinda depends on what the situation is for me. For example if there is a packet of giant buttons in the fridge i will open them when i am by myself so i dont have to share them with anyone!! Nom nom nom! But then i am a chocolate addict........

However when it comes to helping people out i definitely put myself out to help others and want nothing more than a thank you in return. For example i have been trying to help my friend find a new (used) car this weekend. Drove her round to various ones to look at, gave up an evening to help her, searching online and ringing people up for her to find out about their cars.

Nothing in it for me at all other than being able to help out a friend xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2