Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
You have a lucky puppy then.
If any time you feel disheartend have a look on you tube at some of the positive trainers on their
Now comparison to the quality of life for the dog - and the obedience level. If a dog really knows what is wanted and has been taught fairly then it is happy and confident
Absolutely and positive training methods also teach a dog to trust the trainer, they have no reason to fear them.
There is nothing more rewarding than to have a dog which trusts you completely.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Labman its good to see you are starting to learn positive training methods from the knowledgeable members of Dogsey and abandoning some of your previous methods . I can remember when you recommended a rather different way of dealing with dogs jumping up.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?p=1852425#post1852425

I note you have also edited your profile to say you are in favour of positive training methods although you have previously scorned them and those who used them .
I knew more about positive methods before I ever found this site than you do. It is hard to learn much from those that know less than you do. Mainly what I have learned here is how confident people can be in their own experience that only amounts to a drop in the bucket in the dog world.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I knew more about positive methods before I ever found this site than you do. It is hard to learn much from those that know less than you do. Mainly what I have learned here is how confident people can be in their own experience that only amounts to a drop in the bucket in the dog world.
Really, its a pity you didn't use them then and advise others to do the same instead of making life miserable for dogs. Better to have one drop of pure water than a bucket full of poison.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
If you are going to start bragging about who knows more, then please take it to another thread.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Two points
1. Is the dog aware of a no reward marker, this will improve communucation significantly.
2.Is the dog clicker or at least marker signal trained. If the dog is I would suggest when the dog approach's the owner she clicks as it reaches her (while it's not jumping) and drops a treat on the floor. Then steps back and repeats. This way the dog learns that when ever it approaches someone treats come from the floor not the air.

Adam
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Two points
1. Is the dog aware of a no reward marker, this will improve communucation significantly.
2.Is the dog clicker or at least marker signal trained. If the dog is I would suggest when the dog approach's the owner she clicks as it reaches her (while it's not jumping) and drops a treat on the floor. Then steps back and repeats. This way the dog learns that when ever it approaches someone treats come from the floor not the air.

Adam
thanks Adam.
All great in an ideal world but the handler was close to cracking up. She was in tears.
The last thing she needed right then was a clicker.
It maybe an option for the future though.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
The ignoring jumping up and rewarding 4 paws on the ground definately does work, but be sure not to ignore for too long... If you wait too long the dog will no longer associate the attention he's getting to the fact that he didn't get it when he was jumping up.... If you use this method he will learn never to jump up, if you use the "yank the lead" method he will only learn not to jump up when on lead with you on the other end.... When Tess was smaller I also continuously had people saying "oh, it's cute and I don't mind", now she's 8 months and 18kg they finally get the message... But she does get her fair share of cuddles...only when I get on my knees and say "knuffel" (Dutch version of "cuddle"...) Then she puts her paws on my shoulders and her head in my neck and we both let out a sigh of "this is heaven"
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi TC

I see that alot in my work, sometimes with aggressive behaviour as well. Often I will remove the dog from the handler and let them calm down while I work the dog.
For a real li9fe its all gone wrong type situation I recomend active blocking (especially if the dog is aggressive about it) Usually this would involve using hands and legs to essentially make it really difficult for the dog to jump, also I would walk into the dogs space as this illicits a back up response and tends to make the dog a little more aware of body space.

Adam
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi Adam
that's pretty much what I did. I took the dog as the handler was calmed by the other trainer.
I took the dog outside and did a bit of lose lead work with the occassional sit. She was great outside.

But blocking and ignoring the undesired behaviour is what I did.

Cintvelt...good point about the issues occuring sans-lead!
The dog can't have a lead on 24/7.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
If you are going to start bragging about who knows more, then please take it to another thread.
Perhaps this needs to be directed to Minihaha that dragged one more thread off topic with her negativism.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >