View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Soak his kibble, much more appetising for a baby, feed it luke warm, then mix some wet food thoroughly through it so he cant pick it out. OR you can cook the tripe lightly - just until it changes colour [it has a very strong aroma] - make sure you get the minced variety, mix it through the soaked kibble and I could almost guarantee he will eat the lot. I have a fussy eater myself - she is 5 1/2 yrs old now and not likely to change. Give her soaked kibble and minced tripe through it and she never leaves a crumb. The tripe or chicken or ground beef must be minced or ground down so they cant pick it out
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:42 PM
i pour a litle boiling water overthe kibble,so it softens then add a splash of goats milk for the morning feed.

how many timesaday are you feeding him? cutting back to three feeds may help
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:42 PM
he will eat every last bit if I mix raw minced tripe with his dinner.

I just didnt know if I should be feeding this every meal or if I should persevere with kibble mixed with wet food.
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Bella is the world's fussiest dog! Here's what I think I have learned from her so far!
When we first tried to swith her to kibble from the tinned she came on she would spit the kibble out. We tried it mixed with her food, we tried it on its own. No good. ...and this I think is where I made my first mistake. I hated to see her not enjoying her food, and decided she musn't like that kibble so I bought another, then another, then another...etc
Sometimes she wouldn't touch it. Sometimes she would eat one or two meals of ti then start to refuse it.I got more creative (mistake 2!) and started mixing things in with it. She loved tuna, so I chose a good kibble and mixed in a little Tuna..GREAT she wolfed it down for 3 or 4 days..then stopped. So I bought some wet foor -nature diet.(mistake 4) She LOVED this so I dcided to stick with this.Brilliant. She ate great....for several weeks...then , yes she just stopped eating again
I tried kibble again,beingREALLY careful she got no other treats etc...BUT I left her bowl of food down all day(mistake 5) after 8 days she had eaten about 3 mouthfuls of kibble
So, at our wits end we switched to raw.(mistake 6) Brilliant she loved it. She was eating a great variety, but then she stopped eating liver, then lamb, then any mince...etc until all she would eat was chicken wings
Sooooo she is nowbackon kibble. She gets her kibble (also fish4dogs) put down twice a dayand left for 10 mins. If she doesnt eat it she just gets it again at tea time. It has only been a few days but we are seeing some improvement.By day 2 ofnothing she was ready to eata whole bowl of kibble, and shedidnt hang around , knowing it would dissappear if she did!
Just to add Bella is just turned 1 now, and was 6 months when we got her...so not tiny. It can be harder witha very young puppy asintake ismore critical....
I think for us the being firm is going tobe the way to go...
Having said that all dogs are different and many people successfully mix and match their dogs food without any problems.
Good luck.
I hope you find a solution that works for Panda
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:44 PM
he is on 4 feeds a day as he is only 10 weeks old.

we tried minced chicken mixed with his kibble but he wouldn't touch it.

I wouldn't mind feeding minced chicken, tripe and beef with his kibble, I just am not sure if it is healthy to feed only tripe with his kibble.

I wanted to feed a BARF diet but he wont eat the chunks of meat so I doubt he would eat them attached to a bone either.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I guess we just have to be tough.

I will keep giving him the kibble mixed with the wet food and only give him tripe when he is happily eating this and only then as a treat in a stuffed kong or something if we ever leave him at home.

Hopefully he will eat his 5pm feed as otherwise it will be a whole 24 hours he hasn't eaten other than a few dried liver pellets while we were grooming him and the rest of a rawhide chew he had been eating for a few days
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:50 PM
My pup just cant cope with 4 feeds a day, shes 11weeeks now & been on 3 feeds for about 3 weeks now
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Panda84 View Post
he is on 4 feeds a day as he is only 10 weeks old.

we tried minced chicken mixed with his kibble but he wouldn't touch it.

I wouldn't mind feeding minced chicken, tripe and beef with his kibble, I just am not sure if it is healthy to feed only tripe with his kibble.

I wanted to feed a BARF diet but he wont eat the chunks of meat so I doubt he would eat them attached to a bone either.
Tripe is fine, very mild and wont do any harm although it does contain a lot of fat so be careful how much you give. Its one of the best natural foods there is. If he eats his kibble with the tripe, I would continue. Unless you have or had a fussy eater no one knows how frustrating it can be.

As for bones, dont you believe it, he may not fancy a bone at the minute but give him a few weeks or months and he will be into his bones like the rest of them. In fact if you rubbed some of his raw tripe over a bone [make sure you give beef bones like raw shin bones] he would probably gnaw happily at it. Very much a new baby so its all strange to him.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:54 PM
he would happily eat 4 feeds a day if it was mixed with tripe, in fact I think he would happily eat ALL day if it was tripe 0_o

He doesn't feel as heavy now he hasn't eaten since last night. We had been saying how heavy and chunky he was feeling before.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I suppose we could always just mix a tablespoon of tripe in with his wet and kibble, that would probably get him to eat it.

I think he will continue to spit out the Fish4Dogs kibble though
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >