View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
New2Dogz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Well, she certainly liked the sardine . . . she fished out the bits around the kibble pieces (and I'd mashed it up well into the dry food as well) - I only heard her crunching up one piece of dry food! The dry food was Orijen as well which I would have thought she would like.

I've seen the Natures Diet packs at a local pet shop so perhaps I will try mixing some of that with it and see how she goes.

Mini - I doubt very much that she has been given a prescription type wormer - more likely Bob Martin off a supermarket shelf! The lady I got her from is not really a proper breeder but a mum from my son's school - her JR girl has a fantastic temperament and is brilliant around children and so when she said she was going to breed from her for the first time, I knew it would be the ideal opportunity for us to have one of her pups. However, it does mean that she doesn't necessarily know the right things to do and I think the twice a day feeding was to fit around her work quite honestly. Still, Millie does seem to be in very good condition and was thoroughly checked out and vaccinated by the same vet that I will be using the day before she came to us.

Anyway, it will be the goat's milk and cheesy bits later on then . . .
Miranda53
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by New2Dogz View Post
Anyway, it will be the goat's milk and cheesy bits later on then . . .
Hi,
I can certainly sympathise - I've been through all this myself. You'll find with my 2 recipes that there's nothing your dog can actually pick out from the dog food. That was my aim - to try and make the kibble tastier on its own, rather than adding anything solid that could be picked out. Let me know if it works
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Some dogs you can wean off canned food, and some you must outwait. If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will wolf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. This includes puppies. Many come from the breeder overweight. Little butter balls are cute, but leaner ones are healthier. the bigger the breed, the more important keeping them lean as puppies. You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.
Labman still you keep posting the same old quotes. I am told you are now PMing members with unwanted advice telling them you know better than everyone else here.

You may be happy feeding puppies on just two meals a day of the cheapest kibble and depriving puppies of access to water but it is time you realised we do things differently here.
Meg
Supervisor

17-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Well, she certainly liked the sardine
Hi Terri sardines usually go down well because they have a strong smell.
Many people here add a bit of something to kibble, not everyone is fooled by the advertising of many dog food manufacturers who say nothing should be added to their products. They are primarily interested in selling the maximum amount of their food and making profit.

It is important that a small puppy eats regularly, they have immature immune systems and pick up infections easily until they have built up immunity. If a puppy catches a tummy bug it can go down hill really quickly and a puppy which is underfed or too thin is of course more at risk.

You really don't need to be concerned about a tiny puppy being 'narrower at the waist than the hips and chest ' and when someone advises leaving a 9 week old puppy without food for days until it eats what is offered I would ignore them .
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Minihaha, as I understand the rules, everybody is free to give their opinions. I have spent 10 years developing answers to common questions. By pasting in well prepared answers, I can give higher quality answers. I am not very good at typing or spelling. I see no reason to struggle to say the same thing again.

As a moderator, I think you have even stronger obligation to follow all the rules including

''When having a discussion or a debate, please do so in an adult, non-confrontational, non-condescending manner. Please respect the fact that everyone is allowed their own opinion even if you do not agree with it (no-ones asking you to respect their opinion, just respect the fact they are allowed it).''

Yes, I sent the OP a PM with a link in it to some scientific findings on the Purina site. It is unfortunate some find the truth objectionable.

I put nothing critical of you in that message.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Minihaha, as I understand the rules, everybody is free to give their opinions. I have spent 10 years developing answers to common questions. By pasting in well prepared answers, I can give higher quality answers. I am not very good at typing or spelling. I see no reason to struggle to say the same thing again.

As a moderator, I think you have even stronger obligation to follow all the rules including

''When having a discussion or a debate, please do so in an adult, non-confrontational, non-condescending manner. Please respect the fact that everyone is allowed their own opinion even if you do not agree with it (no-ones asking you to respect their opinion, just respect the fact they are allowed it).''

Yes, I sent the OP a PM with a link in it to some scientific findings on the Purina site. It is unfortunate some find the truth objectionable.

I put nothing critical of you in that message.
Well surely with your 'decades' of experience, you would know that not one size fits all when it comes to dogs. As you may have noticed, no one else on this forum copies and pastes the same posts over and over because every dog is an individual and should be treated as such.
Miranda53
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not a very regular contributor to this forum, but I have found it extremely helpful since becoming a member. I think it's unfortunate that so many threads seem to become slanging matches with the contributor known as Labman. I think it detracts from the helpfulness of this site.

Apologies for putting my tuppence in...
Meg
Supervisor

18-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Labman you may think your answers are high quality, this view is not shared by the majority of our members who find many of your methods outdated and cruel. I am inundated with PMs from people saying 'Can't you stop this Idiot posting rubbish and misleading new dog owners'

I am a member as well as a moderator and above all a dog lover posting on a forum for dog lovers and as such I have a strong obligation to point out what I consider to be cruel and outdated methods of handling and raising dogs.

When it comes to being patronising and condescending you take the prize Labman , here is just a small sample of your previous posts which clearly demonstrate this ....

Originally Posted by Labman
Be prepared for a lot of bad advice from people with little or no experience or training.

''It is only natural the best informed people are outnumbered by the average ones.
I am working on our 19'th puppy since 1991. I have built on a foundation of the manual written by people that have the experience of teaching thousands of people how to housebreak puppies. It is unfortunate you are being mislead by a bunch of people too stubborn to see that there are those that know for more than they do. ''

'Good advice always was hard to find on the net, but it is more and more dominated by those that know less and less''

''Vics, let me point out that I likely have more experience housebreaking puppies than my critics put together. Count on them for the best of the 50's advice.''

If your scientific findings are so relevant they should be posted on the forum for all to share . It is your version of the truth Labman and clearly you feel it won't stand up to scrutiny if you are not able to post it in the relevant thread.

Labman myself and others here will continue to refute what many consider to be your inappropriate outdated and cruel advice. There is nothing in the rules which says we can't do this.

The animal welfare organisations I have spoken to in your own contry on behalf of concerned members here have also condemned you methods as 'just awful' and 'questionable' but they can't do much about you because you hide behind anonymity and refuse to name the organisation which supplies you with puppies (if the puppies actually existed ).
Meg
Supervisor

18-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Miranda53 View Post
I'm not a very regular contributor to this forum, but I have found it extremely helpful since becoming a member. I think it's unfortunate that so many threads seem to become slanging matches with the contributor known as Labman. I think it detracts from the helpfulness of this site.

Apologies for putting my tuppence in...
Hi Miranda apologies, many here feel the same way but as dog lovers we have a duty to speak out against what we (and in some instances) the leading canine organisations consider to be cruel and inappropriate methods of dog care.
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Miranda apologies, many here feel the same way but as dog lovers we have a duty to speak out against what we (and in some instances) the leading canine organisations consider to be cruel and inappropriate methods of dog care.

Mini, I would hope that anyone who calls themselves a dog lover or anyone who is proud to be a member of a knowledgeable,helpful and caring forum,would be in favour of someone taking the intuitive to highlight such "methods" to the organisations that need to be made aware (and are now aware) of such barbaric methods posted my someone claiming to be an "expert".

Funnily enough and only as a visitor to the site - a week before collecting Scarlett - Labman's reply to a house breaking issue was the first one I stumbled across.What if I'd not known any better? *shudders*.If there hadn't been members disagreeing in abundance to his methods,the reality of it is I could have unintentionally killed my dog And I think with that said, it's not really about a "slanging" match........

I truly thought Labman was a forum "troll" or some sick kids with the idea of a "funny game" getting kicks out of upsetting loving owners.

Everytime I log in, I tell myself he must be a troll.....he must be
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »