Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Leaving a young puppy in a small crate with out food or water restricts its activity slowing down its body processes.

We have had a new puppy ever year since 1991. Most of Before I retired, we usually left young puppies 4-5 hours in the day time. .
Labman depriving a puppy of food and water to suit your convenience is downright cruel and can make a puppy very ill.
In previous threads you have admitted leaving 7 week old puppies shut in a crate on mesh in case they soil without access to water for 16 hours a day five days a week , you are no dog lover

See your previous posts in other threads Labman,

Originally Posted by Labman
''With many of our puppies, my wife and I were working the same hours our children were in school. The puppies were left much of the day by themselves. One of us was always able to make it back for a mid day break. At 7 weeks, they adjust well to things''

''Enough already. Leaving a young puppy all day is a common, proven, highly workable thing as long as it gets a mid day break. It is time for people to quit guessing that it is a bad idea''

Now see my question to you in another thread and your response..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Labman . You have suggested people did as you did that is leave a puppy in a crate all day from the age of 7 weeks. Ok you may have come home to let your puppies out at lunch time, then you put them back in the crate for the afternoon.
You also say you put puppies in the crate when they can't be watched, then again all night and without bedding and water. So tell me Labman exactly when did your puppies get out of their crates .

Quote:
Originally posted by Labman So how about all evening and weekends?
None of the canine welfare organisations in this country use the methods you suggest, it you were working for guide dogs in this county I would report you for causing unnecessary suffering to a dog.
RSPCA
Your dog should have constant access to a bowl of fresh,
clean water.

APDT advice on crates..
Your puppy should not be left for long hours at a time in his crate, 3-4 hours during the day is a maximum. Initially he will need to come out of his crate frequently during the day (every half hour/hour or so) to toilet, but as he gets older he should be able to go for 2 – 3 hours before he is going to need to relieve himself

The crate should be big enough for your puppy to fit in comfortably when he is fully grown, room to stretch out and have a water bowl and interactive toys in.

The crate needs to be as comfortable and inviting as possible for your puppy to build up positive associations with it. Put a soft towel or vet bed in the base, both easily cleaned. Always have fresh water available; place a couple of safe toys in the crate; a stuffed Kong is useful
Guide Dogs For The Blind UKYou should be at home most of the day. This will ensure that there is enough time to feed, exercise and educate the puppy. The puppy must not be left on its own longer than three hours each day.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
ah those early days of puppyhood... excellent advice from mini so i won't repeat her words. i just wanted to say that it will get better and yes you will get your sunday morning lie in again! when i got my jrt last year i was going through a nasty break up and she did prove to be the best type of distraction ever! i put alot of work into her (like the housetraining and getting up early) and now at 10 months, she is a dream. i have to drag her out of bed in the morning and i can't remember the last time she messed in the house.

i must admit that i have never crated her and she spent her first few months in the lounge at night. she never chewed anything and i'm sure it helped to give her some independence from me. she does have the run of the house now at night and she is good as gold.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
You block off much of it? How much space does your puppy have available to it?
The vegetable bin we use at first is about 11'' X 15'' and the puppy has most of the 20'' height if the crate. Plenty of room for a young puppy. As it grows we remove the vegetable bin and other spacers, and later move it up to a 36'' crate.

Watch a dog choose its own place for a nap. Quite often they will choose a snug corner. Guess what, dogs aren't wired like people. They take comfort in being enclosed in small spaces.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 05:57 AM
They take comfort in being enclosed in small spaces.
My pup will always choose to stretch out on the sofa! Little ratbag
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Well, this morning he woke me with yelping and whining at 3:45 and I rushed headlong downstairs only to find he had already peed his bedding (in the place he used to pee on a puppy pad).
Took him out calmly but he had nothing left, so replaced his bedding and put him back. He was quiet until 5:45 (when I had finally started to drop off again) and he started yelping again.
Once more tore downstairs - bedding dry and puppy weed and pooed outside. Gave massive fuss etc.
Not much point going back to bed now. Will just have to set the class up with some work today and fall asleep at my desk!

So, I guess tomorrow I set the alarm for 3:30 and take him out pre-yelps.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 07:45 AM
The vegetable bin we use at first is about 11'' X 15'' and the puppy has most of the 20'' height if the crate. Plenty of room for a young puppy. As it grows we remove the vegetable bin and other spacers, and later move it up to a 36'' crate.

Watch a dog choose its own place for a nap. Quite often they will choose a snug corner. Guess what, dogs aren't wired like people. They take comfort in being enclosed in small spaces.
Guess what - a nap does not equate to hours on end stuck in cramped conditions, a pathetically inadequate short break, followed by yet more hours confined in cramped conditions. All without access to water or basic comforts.

The conditions you describe are inhumane. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that your puppies suffer from muscle atrophy and bone deformation.

In fact, I find it incredibly hard to believe that anybody who claims to employ such cruelty in the name of puppy raising is real.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 08:00 AM
On a point that Labman made, dogs may start to sleep by curling round themselves in a warm & safe space, but if you watch them, they very often then stretch out on their sides, with all 4 legs stretched out ~ this is called lateral recumbency. It is vital that dogs have sufficient space to stretch out like this as they are much more easily able to reach R.E.M. sleep in this position. R.E.M. sleep is an absolutely essential requirement, not just for dogs, but for most mammals. It is during R.E.M. sleep that our brains process the day's events & consolidate important memories & new learning from short term to long term memory. Without this type of sleep (especially with young animals that have a lot to learn) they willnot be able to learn the things they need to know. It is during R.E.M. sleep that we often experience dreams, as our minds are processing information. But also the muscles completely relax & the body is healing itself, so this is why you often see dogs twitching, grunting etc (looks like they are having a lovely time catching that rabbit that got away).

So the moral is make sure your dog has a bed large enough to stretch out competely ~ not a little round bed that forces it to curl up on itself!
Meg
Supervisor

08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Well, this morning he woke me with yelping and whining at 3:45 and I rushed headlong downstairs only to find he had already peed his bedding (in the place he used to pee on a puppy pad).
Took him out calmly but he had nothing left, so replaced his bedding and put him back. He was quiet until 5:45 (when I had finally started to drop off again) and he started yelping again.
Once more tore downstairs - bedding dry and puppy weed and pooed outside. Gave massive fuss etc.
Not much point going back to bed now. Will just have to set the class up with some work today and fall asleep at my desk!

So, I guess tomorrow I set the alarm for 3:30 and take him out pre-yelps.
Hi Suzy once a puppy has got into the habit of soiling inside on pads it can take a little while for it to get used to waiting to go outside.

At five months old many puppies (but not all) will still have poor control of their bodily functions and won't be able to to wait very long to go out once they are awake.

If your puppy is warm and comfortable and has had a short walk last thing at night to make sure it is empty it should soon start to sleep longer overnight.

I have had puppies who slept through the night from day one (in a box next to my bed).

So don't despair, things will get better as your puppy matures .
Meg
Supervisor

08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
On a point that Labman made, dogs may start to sleep by curling round themselves in a warm & safe space, but if you watch them, they very often then stretch out on their sides, with all 4 legs stretched out ~ this is called lateral recumbency. It is vital that dogs have sufficient space to stretch out like this as they are much more easily able to reach R.E.M. sleep in this position. R.E.M. sleep is an absolutely essential requirement, not just for dogs, but for most mammals. It is during R.E.M. sleep that our brains process the day's events & consolidate important memories & new learning from short term to long term memory. Without this type of sleep (especially with young animals that have a lot to learn) they willnot be able to learn the things they need to know. It is during R.E.M. sleep that we often experience dreams, as our minds are processing information. But also the muscles completely relax & the body is healing itself, so this is why you often see dogs twitching, grunting etc (looks like they are having a lovely time catching that rabbit that got away).

So the moral is make sure your dog has a bed large enough to stretch out competely ~ not a little round bed that forces it to curl up on itself!
Interesting Wilbar I have a small 'spare' dogbed in the sitting room which is occasionally used by dogs. They all start off curled up in it then end up with their heads, half their body and legs outside the bed streched out on the carpet and just their bottom in it .

ETA I have observed by watching many puppies that the preferred sleeping position seems to be laying on the side with legs stretched out straight out in front of them .
Labman states in previous posts that his Lab puppies sleep in a very small space 11'' X 15'' on mesh without any bedding, I wonder how they can possibly move around or stretch out comfortably in order to sleep . It seems most of the 19 puppies he has had spent 16 hours a day five days a week in this small space
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
That's horrendous (& partly why I posted about the need for a dog to be able to stretch out!!).

Very often people buy these cutsy little round dog beds that match their furniture only to find the dogs seems to prefer to sleep stretched out somewhere else! And even if the bed is large enough but has sides to it, the dog inevitably spills over the edge when stretching out. Or they decide that the sofa is absolutely essential for a good night's kip & then get extremely miffed when the owner turns them off!

Someetime large cushions or duvets covered in a practical fabric (that matches the decor for the houseproud) can be the best solution, provided they're in a warm, draft-free place.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >