Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jade_436743
New Member!
Female 

11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm guessing that because you don't know the exact ages of two of your dogs they may be rescues? If so, the rescue might be able to help with behaviour advice.[/I]
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Battersea dogs home also have a behaviour advice line. the help they can give over the phone/by email will be limited but may be a start.[/I]
Yes Ben and Kenzi are both rescues but Ive had them over five years so not sure what the rescue would do. I might give the Battersea advice line a try.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Do you / have you gone to any training classes with them?? I totaly recomend a positive trainer (look at APDT's) who can show you fun rewarding ways to train your dog to happily work with you
I haven't taken them to any classes but they do know the basics sit, down etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by jade_436743 View Post
Hi thanks for the replys. I would not be able to let a behaviourist see what triggers the fights or how the dogs interact as im unable to let them be free together as it would be to dangerous for them and us. So not sure how the behaviourist would work with them.
Im not sure who is more dominant as I think originally when it was due to food it was Kenzi starting the fights then Tyler will now start the fight as soon as he sees Kenzi, Also Tyler growls at Kenzi through the cage when he's in there and Kenzi will hide behind the sofa, I dont its fair to both the dogs living like this so would really like to sort it out as I really don't want it to come to having to rehome one. I think I may get Tyler neutered anyway due to him showing some dominance with people but am unsure as to get Kenzi neutered too.

Btw what does IMO mean ?
Hi Jade obviously the dogs would not be loose together when being assessed by a behaviourist .
I don't understand what you mean about getting Tyler neutered anyway 'due to him showing some dominance with people'. Dominance is a very overused word and there may be a number of different reasons for any unwanted behaviour Tylers may be showing including medical conditions and the first step should be a full veterinary health check.

As Rune says you really do need some help here and a forum is not the right place to get help for serious agression issues neither do I think it likely that neutering will solve the problems.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 07:20 AM
If he is insured, you may get help that way, if you go to a good behaviourist such as http://www.apbc.org.uk/

Be careful not to just choose one out of the local paper as it could work out disastrous. Anyone can call themselves a behaviourist.

A behaviourist would not need to see the problem - they'd do an in depth discussion with you to find triggers, problems etc and they'd know what was best to do re. hormones,in your particular situation.

It may be the initial fight was caused by resource guarding over food, and they were still worked up the second time. But you do need someone to see them, it would be money well spent, evn though it may seem a lot at the time.

Wys
x
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I also agree with much of what's been said here. I would definitely get your dogs neutered as this may help, but it is no guarantee, especially as the entire dogs are now sexually mature. Their behaviour & the affect of the androgens (male hormones) on their behaviour & neural systems will make it less likely that neutering will solve all the problems. However not neutering may make behavioural modification more difficult. Remember the behavioural effects of neutering take sometime to show, so don't expect any rapid changes.

I agree with Wysiwyg, that a properly qualified behaviourist should not need to see your dogs "in action" & the more they "practice" this aggressive & challenging behaviour, the more ingrained it will get & the more difficult it will be to stop. Any reputable behaviourist should know what is going in by questioning you, seeing where & how your dogs live & taking a full behavioural history. In the meantime, you really need to avoid them being allowed to engage in aggressive or challenging behaviour towards each other & if this means keeping them apart, then that is what you must do.

Unfortunately "dominance" has been somewhat misused in the past as the magic catchall solution to all canine behaviour problems so I would certainly avoid taking the advice of someone who seems to think that somehow dealing with the "dominant" dog, will solve the aggression. And from what you've said I don't think it is as simple as training problems. Whilst a behaviour modification programme may involve some training as part of counter conditioning & desensitisation, there could be many other aspects to a behavioural programme, such as your management regime with the dogs (by which I mean how you keep them, what you feed them, how much & what sort of exercise they get etc). A behaviourist will also be aware of all the physiological aspects of the behaviour, plus the learning theory behind the behaviour & the canine ethogram that will affect how dogs behave naturally.

Given your situation & the potential seriousness, I would definitely recommend that you seek professional help, after seeing your vet to rule out any medical causes. I realise that it is not cheap, but it is well worth trying to find the money, as I doubt that the situation will get better & may well get worse if you do nothing.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2