Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I agree that its very sad but I think the government need to start getting tough with these people and not paying them their ludicrous ransoms.

The more money we pay out to them the more it will happen and the higher the ransoms will get.
Totally agree with this. It's a very sad thing but I do not agree with giving in to terrorism, at all.

And do not get me started on footballers salaries!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
We have enough money to try to save them, and if they kill them still then they would know they won't get any money next time, instead of not negotiating with them they could negotiate a lower release. Its just a matter of principle, we can afford to save them, and the next lot and the lot after that, they're not all going to be British!!!
The governments do have enough money, I think it is the fact you pay one you get ten more, they are more often than not it is third world countries that are the danger as they have such hard lives and resort to piracy.
No they are not all British they are from many countries including Australia nationality is not the issue.
I guess the principle of saving two and making 4 targets next week could be questionable too.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm afraid I'm with the ones who say don't pay.

If it was me kidnapped I would not want a randsom to be paid...but I admit that I can't say that I would be as strong if it was a loved one of mine that they had.

If we are seen to give in, before long all minor criminals will be trying kidnap as an easy way to make money. After all, if we are prepared to pay simalian pirates, we would also have to pay british kidnappers. Before long you wouldn't be safe anywhere and it wouldn't matter that you weren't rich yourself because according to your logic, the government would pay up.

That doesn't mean that my heart doesn't go out to the couple and to their families and I don't hope and pray that they are saved.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:06 AM
They won't be saved unless they pay....I understand the fact that they think it'll be another next week if they pay - but the fact is, it'll be another next week anyway! They'll think they've shown their sincerity by killing this couple!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:18 AM
They won't be saved unless they pay....I understand the fact that they think it'll be another next week if they pay - but the fact is, it'll be another next week anyway! They'll think they've shown their sincerity by killing this couple!
I think we'll have to agree to disagree as i am certain that when they realise that we won't pay, they won't carry on.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
yes there maybe another one next week but I am surer than not, there would be twice (if not more) would get done next week if they paid up. They will show their intent and more likely than not by murdering them but their goal is money not murder, so to go back and do it again would appear pointless.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think we'll have to agree to disagree as i am certain that when they realise that we won't pay, they won't carry on.
I really really hope you're right
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
This almost an industry in that area, and has been for some time. The Govt. of Somalia doesn`t want ransoms paid, as it fuels the `trade`. As I understand it, negotiations are ongoing.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
As I understand it, negotiations are ongoing.
As far as I'm concerned, the negotiations should be conducted by the ladies and gentlemen from 22 Regiment. That might well cost more than the 2 mil ransom but would be a better investment for the future in that it'd strongly discourage copy cat incidents.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I just saw on the news that the couple who have been kidnapped by pirates have not only been separated, but physically hurt - their captors want 2 million pounds and the Government refuse to pay - 2 million, its nothing to us, its what footballers get paid a fortnight and yet they just won't help. I understand that they don't want to encourage the pirates behaviour, but what they need to realise is that they won't let this couple go free without paying them, they'll just kill them out of spite.

I think its disgusting that they won't pay and if I had the money I'd pay for their freedom myself.

I feel so sad for them
Sorry I totally disagree, if Governments start to pay ransoms then more citizens of that country will be kidnapped. This really does happen, terrorists should not be capitulated to in any circumstances.

They knew the risks when they sailed into the area where Somali terrorists sieze ships let alone a yacht. Whilst people should be fee to travel where they like, this was a very foolish thing to choose to do. There is plenty of ocean to sail in.

Sad but true IMHO
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »