View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2009, 04:52 PM
My dally puppy is 11 weeks old. He was from a litter of 2 !! He eats like there is no tomorrow lol. I have been told, that it is ok, unless they start having problems like diahorrrea which then means they are not digesting their food properley. Then i think action needs to be taken. Mine is going to the toilet fine, he is on dry food, and his poops are firm. Stick with it and see what happens.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
It's not common in labs, it is common in all puppies. I think I know more about labs than you and I have got loads and loads to learn.
Yes, but what I know is true. It is based on extensive training, reading, and experience. I am raising my 17't Lab puppy plus all the ones I have sit for friends. But then nothing counts except your experience.

Many Shepherd puppies are quite dainty eaters. Search this or any other forum, and you will find plenty of reports of puppies that are picky eaters.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post

Many Shepherd puppies are quite dainty eaters. Search this or any other forum, and you will find plenty of reports of puppies that are picky eaters.
Really none of my GSDs have ever been picky, just the opposite in fact.

Some puppies do eat quickly my Wu(BC)was one & I actually did the opposite to what your mentors suggest & used a smaller dish for him & divided his meals into 6 until he slowed down. Starting to wean him onto raw(chicken wings)slowed him right down especially as he was only 7 weeks old at the time.

Have you wormed your puppy since getting him ? He could be eating quickly because he is hungry
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Have you wormed your puppy since getting him ? He could be eating quickly because he is hungry
This thread caught my eye! Bentley (JRT) used to sit down to eat when we first got him (he was 10 weeks) and we would have time to have a cup of tea. At about 13 weeks he started to bolt his food so fast that I barely have time to turn around and put the container back in the cupboard! His portions are larger and the kibble is even the next size up. He is just like a hoover! I have wormed him twice since having him, and will be worming him again this week. Should I put the super fast eating down to worms?
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2010, 12:02 PM
It wouldn't hurt to check for worms. With the heartworm problem here, I use products each month that control them and many other worms too. I have seen very few worm problems.

People with wide experience know that although many puppies are greedy little things, others walk away with uneaten food in the dish. Under feeding and over feeding are big factors, but puppies maintained in good body condition still display a wide range of eating habits .

It could be you didn't increase the level of food as fast as his needs increased. I continually check my growing puppies' ribs and adjust their food as needed. That is one thing I like about a dry food, the ease of measuring out exactly what the dog needs. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but they shouldn't be visible. I start the 7 week old puppies at a cup and a half, but fairly quickly am feeding twice that. Some need more later on. Then by 7-8 months when their growth levels off, I often have to cut back slightly.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2