View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a gorgeous big lab that regularly comes to stay here. He is as daft as a brush and loves meeting and playing with other dogs. His hackles stand on end with all the excitement, but every other bit of his behaviour shows that he's happy and enjoying the experiance.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Doesn't it make a difference as to how much the hackles are raised??

I thought if only the shoulder area was raised then it was nervousness or excitement and only if the hackles are raised from shoulder down to tail is it aggression??

My big boy always raises his hackles round his shoulder when meeting other dogs, he is dominant not aggressive, so likes to make a big show when saying hello to new dogs.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I have a gorgeous big lab that regularly comes to stay here. He is as daft as a brush and loves meeting and playing with other dogs. His hackles stand on end with all the excitement, but every other bit of his behaviour shows that he's happy and enjoying the experiance.
thats exactly how jake is...

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Doesn't it make a difference as to how much the hackles are raised??

I thought if only the shoulder area was raised then it was nervousness or excitement and only if the hackles are raised from shoulder down to tail is it aggression??

My big boy always raises his hackles round his shoulder when meeting other dogs, he is dominant not aggressive, so likes to make a big show when saying hello to new dogs.
not sure, jakes is usually just his shoulders but occassionally his tail ones go up, but only very very slightly.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 05:45 PM
there is a gorgeous kelpie mix that lily plays with and when they first start tearing around, willow will have her hackles up. once they've settled into their play she smooths down again. she's never shown any aggression to lily and i put it down to extreme excitement.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
there is a gorgeous kelpie mix that lily plays with and when they first start tearing around, willow will have her hackles up. once they've settled into their play she smooths down again. she's never shown any aggression to lily and i put it down to extreme excitement.
jakes exactly like willow, i just hope other dog owners realise its just excitement...
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
jakes exactly like willow, i just hope other dog owners realise its just excitement...
the ones with a bit of common sense should.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Breagh gets the ridge type when she's playing.

lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
the ones with a bit of common sense should.
yeah, unfortunately there are alot who havent got any...

Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Breagh gets the ridge type when she's playing.

that looks exactly like jake does! im glad its through play, and that its a normal thing for him to do
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:42 PM
This is what Eddie does. Raised hackles, friendly wag. He is never aggressive but loves to play. I wondered what it meant because he is such a softie. He is always the submissive one in dog games and comes running to mummy if it gets a bit too rough for him.

The photo looks just like Eddie when he plays.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
This is what Eddie does. Raised hackles, friendly wag. He is never aggressive but loves to play. I wondered what it meant because he is such a softie. He is always the submissive one in dog games and comes running to mummy if it gets a bit too rough for him.

The photo looks just like Eddie when he plays.
thats like jake, although he is a very dominant dog... but not in the slightest bit aggressive.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >