View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickix2
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:25 PM
would just like to say that i wanted to let my dog have just one litter of pups,there is people out there who dont care about where there dogs go and weather or not they get mated at least i take my dogs to the vets have everything from the vets that they need to have and are two loving family pets they are not workin dogs and i am not like people who have these type of dogs then have half there tails cut off, they get treated just as my kids do
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by nickix2 View Post
would just like to say that i wanted to let my dog have just one litter of pups,there is people out there who dont care about where there dogs go and weather or not they get mated at least i take my dogs to the vets have everything from the vets that they need to have and are two loving family pets they are not workin dogs and i am not like people who have these type of dogs then have half there tails cut off, they get treated just as my kids do
Ok......

Think I'll bow out of this one, I have some soup I need to season!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Just one litter, same old....................... What you have to remember when breeding puppies is that those puppies will end up in homes where people will hopefully care for them. If they have inherited diseases that YOU didnt test the parents for, imagine how they will feel, they may even expect YOU to take the dog back. As a responsible breeder you should of done the tests relative to your breed, I only hope that you find GOOD homes with people who will care for them properly as most nowadays (good homes) insist on health testing, and so they should.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2009, 10:33 PM
errr..

i dont think you understand what people are informing you about.

what you have posted above isn't relevant to what has been explained
i would read the link given to you earlier and research the Kennel Club website as regards what is termed 'reputable breeding'.

that is, you shouldnt really breed dogs unless they are proven good examples of their breed with a certificated line of pedigree, registered with the KC, had all the health tests relevant to the breed concerned.

it's not just a case of worming and vaccinating.
however, its good to hear that you havent bred form dogs with temperament probs.

also, professional breeders give a lifetimes guarantee to all their pups, which means, before they even breed, they have a waiting list of people interested in the pups, they vet and interview and often homecheck all applicants, give full health, dietary and training advice, and will guarantee, by written contract, to take back any of the pups throughout their lifetime should anything go wrong.

there is a lot to this breeding lark
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:35 PM
The fact that you take your dog to the vets isn't really a justification for breeding her. Everyone on this forum takes their dogs to the vets. Just because a vet says that they are 'ok' or healthy, doesn't mean to say that they actually are. Unfortunately you cannot tell the health of a dogs bones, joints, internal organs, eyes, etc., simply just by looking at them. Nor can you screen for genetic health conditions just by looking at them.
nickix2
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:38 PM
well the vets never said anything about these tests and they all have spaniels themselfs the vets is a very popular one and has been running for years lily has been seen by a vet and have wished me luck at least i am looking after my dogs maybe you should be slagging people who put there dogs in homes or kick them on the streets to bite people
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:42 PM
well the vets never said anything about these tests and they all have spaniels themselfs the vets is a very popular one and has been running for years lily has been seen by a vet and have wished me luck at least i am looking after my dogs maybe you should be slagging people who put there dogs in homes or kick them on the streets to bite people
I was planning to breed my ESS, my vet advised me to have her hips scored, her eyes tested yearly, have a DNA test to check for another type of PRA, have her checked for a pre disposition to Glaucoma (gonioscopy) etc. Perhaps I just have a very good vet, but that's the problem, some are great, some are rubbish. Some vets aren't interested in pedigree dogs and therefore know nothing about them. Especially the different breeds and all their health tests.

I really do hope that you have no problems with the birth and that none of the pups have hereditary health problems, but without health testing the parents sadly you'll never know.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:45 PM
The vet shouldn't HAVE to tell you about health testing. As a responsible breeder, YOU should have done your own research about genetic conditions that your breed is prone to. Then YOU should have had your bitch tested for those conditions.

As for people 'putting their dogs in homes', where do you think some of your puppies could potentially end up? assuming one or more of your puppy buyers could no longer keep their pup, would you be able to take them back?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:46 PM
welcome to dogsey

i hope everything runs smoothly and you have a litter of healthy pups
its too late to really change your mind on breeding now

but
if your dog has say 6 pups, that go to great homes who in 3 years time deside to have just one litter
in a few short years you have been responsible for many many lives
with shelters overflowing and having to put lovely dogs to sleep you are now responsable for that life that never had a chance of a loving home

i am sorry your introduction into dogsey is a little harsh, in the main we are a great friendly bunch but back yard breeders is one subject where we pretty much unite
nickix2
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:48 PM
well thanks for the advice i will speak to my vet regarding this conversation my lily will be fine and i will make sure they go to good homes and i am having her spayed after
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »