Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Who was at fault??
Me 0 0%
Other dog owner 9 39.13%
both 10 43.48%
neither 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Both were off lead and both dogs failed to respond to their owners command so either both at fault or neither....
but did the other owners actualy call their dog back?
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Both of you , as you both had off lead dogs and allowed them to run up to another strange dog.

So in that scenario , you are both equally responsible for your dogs.

Unless ofcause the other dog is know to be aggressive to other dogs, and the owners know this.....

But it could have been a situation where neither owner expected their dog to be aggressive, and as sometimes happens, one takes a dislike to the other.
i agree,also,i dont always want to be sociable 110% of the time
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What do you mean by `the dog went for mine`? Do you mean the other dog chased yours away? Or was there a fight?
If the other dog told yours to mind his manners and yours ran back to you I don`t really see the problem.
if this is what happened(no fight),i dont see the problem,they comunicated with each other and diffused the situation
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your replys, it just got me thinking that was all

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What do you mean by `the dog went for mine`? Do you mean the other dog chased yours away? Or was there a fight?
If the other dog told yours to mind his manners and yours ran back to you I don`t really see the problem.
the other dog snapped at my, hackles up and chased michael.

ATD x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Thanks for your replys, it just got me thinking that was all

the other dog snapped at my, hackles up and chased michael.

ATD x
But that does make it aggressive, it is more likely your dog overstepped the mark ,and he snapped!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 08:15 AM
If the other dog didn`t make contact, he didn`t mean to (since they were close and off lead) so I wouldn`t count it as an attack but a warning. The equivalent of you grumbling at some skateboarder that had whizzed past too close. The hackles up most likely means the dog was uncomfortable at your dog being so close.
No harm done - no fault.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 08:23 AM
If the scenario is as stated then the other owner for shouting and chasing off your dog. Why did they do that?
Becky
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 08:31 AM
The post was abit confusing but I voted both, as I walk no leads, so I expect/anticipate things before they happen....or try too.

Beauty of walking off lead with mine they are not interested in other dogs, so they don;t really do the greet thing, but on the odd occassion that other peoples dogs come up to mine and this sort of thing happens, I just put it down to ''my lack of vision'' don;t blame either dog really as sometimes other dogs do come over then decide that they want to ''tell off mine''
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Takara is quite uncomfortable around some dogs and gets into situations she doesn't want to be in due to pretty much the same situation, she is walked offlead, other offlead dogs greet her, she doesn't particularly like it but she still goes to greet them then discovers she's not so happy with it...

She's now a heck of a lot better as we've been working on it but on the odd occasion, if the other dog doesn't notice her multiple 'leave me alone' signals that she gives off (head and tail down, hackles up, look aways and trying to turn away) she then shows her teeth and if that doesn't work she'll snap and lunge - never making contact.

The aim of this is to put distance between her and the other dog and there's no aggressive intent.

However.. not sure why the other owner ran and shouted at your dog? There was no signal not to approach this dog was there? If Takara greets another dog then I can't ask the other owner to keep their dog away and she's now a lot better and will just come back to me (she stopped running away from dogs she was frightened of because they chased -in play- and jumped on her from behind but I'm getting her over it!) but if she's clearly saying she doesn't want to be approached and the other dog is still coming towards her, I will either move her out of the way if I can, block the other dog, or if the situation is appropriate (ie. owner is close by so I don't have to raise my voice too much) I'll ask the other owner to call their dog as mine's uncomfortable.

I don't think there was any fault really because nothing happened - it was just dogs doing what dogs do, but I don't think the other owners reaction was particularly necessary unless there was something you missed out from your post!

If the other dog had intended to cause damage, it would've done.

I've been working on this with Takara, not because I'm worried she'll hurt another dog - that's not her intention, but because if she snaps at a dog that reacts to that snap, she could easily get hurt.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:19 PM
IMO nobody was a fault.

both dogs off lead and displaying 'normal' dog behaviour.

its us humans that dont understand dogs and see a warning as aggressive when its not.

dogs constantly on lead are not allowed to display this normal behaviour and some do become fear aggressive due to the fact they are repressed by human fear ie: your dog might attack mine.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2