Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Thanks for the replies

Two reasons I ask...1) although mine arent paricularly protective in a week or so my mum is going to have to come in byherself....they should recognise her so all should be ok, lol!!

But 2) My friend with 2 GSDs got taken into hospital and I was asked to go in and see to her dogs....i was worried as I dont know them and wouldnt have known really how to act....except I suppose to be confident and friendly??!
Luckily her son arrived in time and i didnt have to....but one day i may.
I would just say that if there is a likelihood you may be asked in future to go into your friend's house to see to her GSDs, then get to know them pronto
Emax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2009, 04:51 PM
For a DDB mine is useless all he does is get his lead and ask them to take him for a walk. Had friends and workmen come in he has done the same to all of them!! Even got a stranger to go in through a window once and Max didn't care (though the bloke once up the ladder did say you weren't kidding you had a big dog can you call it downstairs please) Doesn't Max realise he is the most valuable thing in the house and probably what thieves would be after!!!!!

I guess they have to be brave enough to take the chance he was friendly though!!

Its a different story if I am in then he will protect me but the house is of no value to him lol.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Mine don't care!
Workmen/decorators get a key, and just come in!
The dogs bark once of twice when they hear a key in the door (as they do when someone knocks), but then are just excited, and let anyone in!

We did try locking them in rooms when the decorator came.......but Fin opened both doors, and we came home to them both running around the house!!
denbully
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
My 2 will brak at people at the door if they think someone walks to close to the house but as soon as they are through the door its a different story they are all tails wagging and happy, a few years ago i managed to lock myself out (were all one level here) as i had only take the kids to school i didnt bother shutting my bedroom window, but i could not climb through a local lad who the dogs did not know offered to climb through and open the door for me, i stood at the living room window to distract the dogs as he climed in as he walked in the living room chas gave a little bark walked over gave a sniff thought about it for a second and them licked the young lad, but i would like to think because of the size of the dogs and the way they would sound it would put off anybody but if anybody did try and go in while i was not there they would get great big wet slobbery bullmastiff kisses
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't be able to happen here with Maddy and if it HAD to happen, i'd HAVE to make sure she got to know the person first.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2009, 11:32 PM
It's a difficult one really. We once arranged for my best mates Dad to walk Woody and Pickles when no one could get back to take them out. Woody wasn't particularly protective of the house, but would he heck as like let the bloke in! Needless to say Pickles went for a walk that day and Woody didn't!

Isla on the other hand is fiercely protective of the house, but I'm willing to bet if you showed her a 16oz steak she'd show you where the family silver was kept!

If it were me I'd have a go at getting in to see to the dog/s, but if they were telling me to get lost I'm afraid I'd do exactly that.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-07-2009, 01:37 AM
I once asked a friend to come over and let the dogs out / walk the dogs. They went nuts.

I've discovered over the years that the dogs bark at the front door as it's they know strangers knock there.

When I come home late at night - If I come in the front door the dogs bark but If I come around the back - the dogs know that only friendly people come in from the garden so there's no barking.

I give folk the back door key and the dogs seem to accept them as friend not foe !
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Jago barks if someone he doesn't know comes in, and usually someone outside the immediate family, who he does know! I heard a bark and growling the other day, turns out a delivery man was here and my son had opened the door, letting Jago out. Jago was keeping the man out of the house but as soon as I got there he was wagging his tail and sidling up to the man! If anyone had to come in, I'd shut him in another part of the house.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2