register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Laptop or desktop?
Laptop 10 45.45%
Desktop 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 12:00 PM
How do you guys find your laptops when watching things like youtube and bbc iplayer e.t.c? My desktop really can't cope with iplayer. I watch things like that all the time, or try to, I would if it didn't keep shutting down halfway through.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I play games fine on mine....Steve got me Sims 3, which runs perfectly.
We got a really good deal, paid about £400 for a £900 laptop online!

I also connect it to the 52" tv via HDMI cable to watch films, play games, or even surf the net using a wireless keyboard and mouse.........from my sofa or bed
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 12:02 PM
well mine is ancient and it copes fine with youtube and ondemand stuff.

think if you go for a decent range one it should be fine
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I like my desktop which is quite old about 5 years, but it's still going strong, has its moments. I can't get on very well with laptops due to typing so fast! My new Acer Aspire keeps sending the curser back to somewhere else in the middle of a word, because I'm obviously hitting something I shouldn't, probably the mouse at the bottom! Hubby's HP laptop is ancient, but I can cope with that, but then again, I find the mouse really weird compared to my wireless that sits on the desk. If I go laptop again, then I'm going to get the Samsung NC10 netbook, as although small, it is for typists, the keyboard is the same as with a desktop, so if it's typing you want, either get one of those or a desktop. Two finger typists are probably fine with lappy's but us pro's (touch typists) just find them so small and fiddly on most!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Laptop for me definitely. My Dell has been fab and I love it to bits. Does everything I want it to but then I'm not into computer games so can't vouch for how it would cope.
All I can suggest is to buy the highest spec you can afford from the off if you're buying a laptop. There are only 2 memory slots and its a b***h to upgrade so make sure you get a high spec one. Also I strongly recommend you upgrade your battery as the normal ones have a short life when not plugged in. I upgraded the battery for a few quid extra and get nearly 5 hours without having to charge it. Definitely worth it.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I love my laptop it's so much faster than my desktop. And I can sit in my bed all day!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Laptop. I would not go back to a desktop if you paid me.

For those that have commented that their laptop isn't great with things like the iPlayer, it depends on the laptop. Some laptops are designed with business in mind (great for word processing, etc.) while others for entertainment. If you play a lot of games, watch a lot of DVD's and videos online, make sure the laptop that is designed for entertainment in mind.

I have a HP Entertainment Pavilion, which is obviously an entertainment laptop. The quality of DVD's is outstanding when I play them and games never lag or freeze.

The benefits of a good laptop are pretty obvious. It is lovely being able to take the laptop out into the garden to potter with and access the internet wirelessly.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I like my desktop which is quite old about 5 years, but it's still going strong, has its moments. I can't get on very well with laptops due to typing so fast! My new Acer Aspire keeps sending the curser back to somewhere else in the middle of a word, because I'm obviously hitting something I shouldn't, probably the mouse at the bottom! Hubby's HP laptop is ancient, but I can cope with that, but then again, I find the mouse really weird compared to my wireless that sits on the desk. If I go laptop again, then I'm going to get the Samsung NC10 netbook, as although small, it is for typists, the keyboard is the same as with a desktop, so if it's typing you want, either get one of those or a desktop. Two finger typists are probably fine with lappy's but us pro's (touch typists) just find them so small and fiddly on most!

REALLY good point for anyone considering buying one. I hate my sisters chunky Dell laptop, so my slim notebook suits me down to the ground. On the other hand, she prefers something a little more substantial. Definitely fiddle around with ones in the shop before you buy to see which is most comfortable.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys, think I will have a wee look at laptops then!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Thanks guys, think I will have a wee look at laptops then!
This is one I have:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...m=5#ps-sellers

Never crashed, never frozen...absolutely brilliant!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >