Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post
I told her if her dogs are aggressive to other dogs they should not be off lead and should be under control. I also said she was an iresponsible dog owner.
To be fair, my friend's dog... who I have to admit isn't really aggressive, she's not good with dogs on leads but she just runs around barking at them instead of attacking them... she is off the lead most of the time but gets put on the lead if he sees an onlead dog (or most likely he turns around and heads the other way!!)

I always call Takara close and if she's in 'one of those moods' where she's a bit distracted, she goes on the lead when we see another onlead dog, and she's not aggressive, I always think the dog could be onlead for a reason, be it training, fear, aggression etc. - if the other dog is offlead, I'll always leave her off lead or even let her offlead because she's better if she knows she can run away when they approach.

Eddy stays onlead because he's a grumpy old gimmer who makes a lot of noise and whilst he wouldn't actually hurt another dog, he upsets other dogs who then could potentially hurt him!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why do they? this makes no sence to me whatsoever. Dogs don't think "Arrr, that dog is ON A LEAD! I MUST ATTACK!". What difference does being a on a lead make?
Er.... I was just stating an observation.

I don't know what it is in a lot of situations but I know a few dogs who have problems with onlead dogs!

However, I have experienced it with Takara with certain dogs (and I'm by no means saying that Harry's dog does this) with Takara it's always dogs that are straining at the lead to say hi, and the collar pulls their head up and puffs their chest out which I can only assume makes them seem more threatening to her, as she is nervous of pushy dogs anyway.

With my friend's dog I don't know what it is, it can be another dog walking normally on a lead on the other side of the park and she's jumping around and barking, and always a bit het up if she meets them while the other dog's on a lead but let her meet the same dog off the lead and she's totally different.

I think it has to be something with their movement being restricted by the lead - even if it's only the tiniest little bit.

I guess if a dog starts off with the way Takara is, only nervous if they're pulling at the lead and transfers it to any dog on a lead, that could cause it??

I was only stating what I'd seen!!

Edit: Not to mention the possible vibes (that we don't sense) from the onlead dog... remember if a dog feels a little threatened because he can't get away (due to being on the lead) and he has offlead dogs around him, he's likely to pass on some vibes even if he's confident enough that we don't pick up on it.

Takara's utterly crap with dogs coming upto her whilst she's on the lead and it's always made better if I make sure her lead is long and loose, she'll just say hi and we carry on walking whereas if the lead is short and therefore restricting her movement a little, she stresses out.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Whatever "causes" it, dogs shouldn't be let off lead if they are going to aggressively pester other dogs that are on lead.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Well this woman saw me from ages away and could of put hers on lead but she didn't. I was controlling Prince by keeping him by my side, while she just let her two bolt over to mine. She didn't even say anthing to the dog that went for him.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post
Well this woman saw me from ages away and could of put hers on lead but she didn't. I was controlling Prince by keeping him by my side, while she just let her two bolt over to mine. She didn't even say anthing to the dog that went for him.
I think you have misunderstood me, I'm in total agreement with you Harry... she had plenty of opportunity to put them on a lead and that is what she should've done.

She told you that her dogs didn't like onlead dogs so she was clearly aware of the problem and so she should be taking precautions to ensure these things don't happen - such as putting them on a lead as soon as she sees another dog.

labradork, what exactly do you want me to say?? You (quite aggressively) asked me why, and I told you all I knew... it would seem you didn't really want to know why but you still want to argue with me?
As far as I'm concerned, my friend is being perfectly responsible by doing what he is doing - walking in open areas where he can see if anyone is approaching and put his dog on a lead if he sees an onlead dog, then avoid them.

His dog is perfectly friendly 99% of the time and he knows what sets her off - onlead dogs, so he is always on the look out for them.

It's a shame the woman Harry encountered doesn't do the same...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:32 PM
labradork, what exactly do you want me to say?? You (quite aggressively) asked me why, and I told you all I knew... it would seem you didn't really want to know why but you still want to argue with me?
I don't want to argue with anyone. It just seems like "my dog doesn't like dogs on leads" is excuse #5453 for not having your dog under control.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Well let's face it 'my dog doesn't like dogs on leads' should only be used when saying 'sorry I didn't mean to ignore/avoid you but...' not 'my dog attacked yours because...'

But I wouldn't just dismiss the fact that they only have a problem with onlead dogs out of hand - I do know dogs that are fine with offlead dogs but take issue with onlead dogs. I don't pretend to know what goes on in their heads, I'm just stating what I know and that is that they exist!

It should never be used an excuse for having an out of control dog - if anything it should be an excuse for having an under control dog! Like when I'm distracting Eddy and say 'he doesn't like puppies' - it's a 'I'm distracting him so please don't come too close!'
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:35 PM
People will make up a million excuses, usually shifting the blame onto the victim as this person did, as a way of pretending their dog isn't the problem. It just gets tiring. I had someone tell me that their dog was behaving aggressively towards mine (a Border Collie nipping quite nastily at my dogs heels) because my dog was wearing a red collar. I kid you not.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:37 PM
You know I often wonder what planet these idiots are on. I hear of and see more and more of them out there with aggresive dogs off the lead.
I have a fear aggresive dog and would not dream of letting her off lead where other dogs might come along, and even if I decided to be a numpty and let her off it would be my luck the dog she bites I get poor Shady in court for it, wheras these idiots just seem to get away with it day after day week after week, and think its fine.
I would be mortified if Shady hurt another dog.
I often wonder why the idiots with the aggresive off lead dogs never seem to bump into each other though as then perhaps if thier dog got hurt they may think twice. They just seem to bump into innocent responsible dog walkers.
Only this morning I bumped into a man with a lovely yellow lab, when i was out with Milo. It had a big dent and scar on the side of its face, he said it was from a few weeks ago when an off lead dog ran up to his and just attacked it. The owners of the dog just kept walking past and never even tried to stop thier dog or get it off. He said he ended up with a lovely big vets bill, getting his dog put back together.
Grrrrr it makes me so mad.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
People will make up a million excuses, usually shifting the blame onto the victim as this person did, as a way of pretending their dog isn't the problem. It just gets tiring. I had someone tell me that their dog was behaving aggressively towards mine (a Border Collie nipping quite nastily at my dogs heels) because my dog was wearing a red collar. I kid you not.
No way! I've had ' he doesn't like black and white dogs' meaning Loki who was grey Also 'He doesn't like them Huskies / Akitas/ Alsatians etc.' when it's really the owner that has the issue. Funnily enough people often think it's OK for their dogs to snap at a large breed dog coz apparently they can take it.

Harry - there is really no point argueing with people like this woman. She is obviously a numpty and you won't get any sense.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >