Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I taught kaos to do face...aka put his paw on his nose, I taught him that by sticking a bit of tape on his nose then when he went to paw it off, I clicked...it only took a coupld of times,

but I guess thats just a very watered down version of what your talking about
No - the idea is quite different - its about teaching the dog to understand the concept of paw and nose....which is very hard (and personally I don;t think it works!)

I taught my dogs Face by putting the collar over the ear and waiting for them to try and get it off...worked great. But the dog only understands it as a whole command...they don't understand the concept of paw or nose...and the seperation of the two....My head hurts now....

The B&T is a long way round and much more focused on Classical not opereant...not sure thats the right way round...very tired (again!) Some day soon I will get some sleep
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Ah I see what you mean,

my dogs know touch...which means touch said object with there nose but as you said before,

However - I never got to the point of her understanding that it was her body part if that makes sense. She always thought it had to be something away from her body. Not sure I am explaining this very well.
the same would go for my dogs,
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-03-2009, 10:45 PM
shona, im currently working on this with a collie, although for limited purposes (to open and close doors).

I'm using a wand from mary ray (effectively a car aerial with a bright coloured blob of sponge on the end if anyone feels creative).

Getting the dog to touch with its nose was quite immediate as it was very easy to get the dogs attention with it.

Getting it to touch with its paws has been slightly harder, but once the 'touch' command is sussed, raise the ball so the dog has to stand and reach with front legs. Reinforce with a diff command, and hey presto.

2 days, 2 commands, 1/2 a bag of clicker treats used and the dogs good at shutting the door now
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
lol, I taught vinnie to pull the cord for the bathroom light,

worst mistook ever.......he thinks its well funny... to barge in when your in the bath and pull the cord.
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-03-2009, 08:28 AM
yea thats a little oversight!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2