View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm sure there's no medical evidence that states it's good for a bitch to have a litter. Can't see how it could benefit the bitch's health

That said, I don't believe that breeding should not be done - end of - unless the dogs bred are show dogs. I don't see anything wrong with ethical breeding, so long as all the boxes are ticked and the breeder takes responsibility for the pups for the rest of their lives, which is how I breed. Any pups that leave me will go under Contract that they will be returned to me if, for any reason, the owner doesn't want them. I will of course refund the money paid for the pup. Small price to pay, to be able to live with myself and know that I am and always will be an ethical breeder.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 12:29 PM
NOOOOOOO

As all of the above.

at least you are finding out, even if its to educate your friends.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 12:59 PM
no no no
but i know that the general public often say different
risky to have pups
not enough homes for pups

i beleive it is healthier to get a bitch spayed before her first season
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Lets turn it around, having a litter of pups is likely to be the most dangerous thing that can happen to a bitch health wise.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:34 PM
unless the dogs bred are show dogs.
That's a very narrow viewpoint-what about the working dogs ? Should they have to be sourced from show stock ? wouldn't work for Border Collies nor GSDs( nor working gundogs on the whole)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:38 PM
i beleive it is healthier to get a bitch spayed before her first season
Why's that then ? I've no problem having bitches spayed, but doing do before puberty Er no, are you not aware that the sex hormones are directly involved with the timeous closure of the growth plates in the long bones ? Tske it away too soon there's not just the increased risk of permanent incontinence, but also of incorrect growth in the dog & bone density.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:39 PM
simple one word answer: NO to having a litter, it can be life threatening to the bitch

Also I always recommend spaying bitches after 12 months old and after their first season, not before unless for health reasons.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Just what everyone else has said!

Definitely NOT! It is an old wives tale that unfortunately seems to still be alive and well, and totally misleading people
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
That's a very narrow viewpoint-what about the working dogs ? Should they have to be sourced from show stock ? wouldn't work for Border Collies nor GSDs( nor working gundogs on the whole)

Sorry Joedee, prob didn't make myself clear - as I am talking Chihuahua in my case, that's why I only mentioned "show" but you do hear people say that dogs should only be bred if they are shown/worked.

Looking back, was a bit off topic really. Just when reading through the thread, somebody had said that a bitch should only be bred if shown/worked, so was putting my point of view regard that. SorryI be quiet now and try to stay OT...........ooops
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why's that then ? I've no problem having bitches spayed, but doing do before puberty Er no, are you not aware that the sex hormones are directly involved with the timeous closure of the growth plates in the long bones ? Tske it away too soon there's not just the increased risk of permanent incontinence, but also of incorrect growth in the dog & bone density.

I know this is the latest advice, to have a bitch spayed before her first season but I wouldn't do it. I am having Tiani spayed tomorrow and she has had three seasons. Had meant to get it done after last season but missed the right time Tiani is so tiny, I have had reservations about the anaesthetic but decided I have to take the bull by the horns this time and just do it - there I am again, going OT
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »