View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeas they are faster... Again, I,m thinking no medication for pain, so it may very well be attributed to pain (as in some sort of spasm or soemthing)...

The honey thing sounds like a good idea, I may try that later on... I need to see if he'll keep his antibiotic down or not (normally he vomits soon after, so hopefully today it stays down).

But he did perk up as we were having supper and got out of his bed for a while to watch us (soemthing he hasn't done since the operation) so we were pleased about that! Normally we'd give him a little bit of pork chops, but all table food is put to a hault until we get the results and find out what caused to darn stones...

Thanks.
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Well, Yesterday was a better day for Stan as he woke up and drank a lot of water on his own, he through it up but went back later and it stayed down. The blood in the urine has finished and his urine returned to yellow, but still only comes out in drops, but he leaves a bigger puddle... But he seems to not be able to control his bladder as he pees in bed, on the floor and whatnot, but we understand he is recovering so we'll take care of retrainig (if need be) when the time comes... Problem is I don't think he drank onhis own since, but I'm not one hundred percent sure though.

My only concern now is that he is still not eating. He does not go eat out of his dog food bowl, nor does he want any kind of treat or even a very small piece of ham I offered him. Cheese does not work either (this is what the vet recommended to give him his pill) and he loves cheese. So my mother called the vet and he recommended we take him in today, just as a follow up I guess...

As nurse, my mom is not overly worried about him not eating as the body can sustain itself without food for a long time, but I believe he needs something for energy as he is extremely weak (for obvious reasons).

I guess I'll post back after the vet appointment.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Good luck at the vets, he needs something to encourage him to eat.
You can get tablet to help increase the appetite. I had them once for 1 of my old dogs.
Try mini idea about the honey, it can't do him any harm.
What food have you tried him on?
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Well I tried coaxing him to take a pill with an extremely small piece of cooked ham (just regular not luncheon meat). The dog food he likes is called Royal Canine I believe, or something close to that. It is a dry food made for chihuahuas and he does like it. I tried putting a piece in his mouth but he just spat it out.

My mom is at the vets with him now, so hopefully we find out soon. I am hoping it is nothing too serious. He stopped vomiting but still poops out this black gooey stuff, and when you wipe it it's almost yellow on the paper. We took a sample to the vets, for sure.

I am almost certain he'll be fine once we can give him some kind of nutrition, I mean it's been since last wednesday since he ate (unless he ate while at the vet after the surgery, but I doubt it).

I'll keep you posted.
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Well... it looks like we may be dealing with a whole different problem now...

The vet seems to believe Stanley is suffering from kidney disease, but he's not sure to what extent. The blood work is being done today and we should know by tomorrow.

I'm feeling sad and worried, but optimistic with it. His urine has a yellow tint, even if light, and so that means the urine is passing through the Kidneys and so they are still somewhat working. I'm hoping with some IV treatment and flushing the kidneys the vet can get them working properly again, and hopin and praying anyway.

It doesn't seem to make sense that a full bladder for a few days would competely shut down his kidneys to the point of no repair. It just doesn't make any sense to me, especially in a 3 year old Chihuahua!

Anyways, I'm asking you all to say some prayers for me, my family and especially Stanley, we're gonna need it. I'll update tomorrow for sure when we find out how bad (or not bad) things are. Thank you guys a lot.
Fizzy Chihuahua
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh Poor little Stanley , sending prayers to him ( and you & your family )

Keep strong little man .....

Sending special Chihuahua hugs for him too {{{hugs}}}
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Having a full bladder won't shut down his kidneys.
Kidney failure comes on over a period of time, when a dogs kidneys get flushed, usually it give them a boost in functioning better.
He might need a change of diet, they have special food, with little to no protien, with kidney problems.
It may be he has kidney stones, which again there is special diets to help prevent stones for both kidney and bladder.
If i remember right it is reduced salt content.
At least he is getting fluids, which should help him feel better and might be enought to get him to eat.
My mums dog had kidney problems, was flushed and started a diet, she never had problems and became stable.
I hope a new day brings postive news for you all and your little man.
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah so do we, and you know what Leo... That was my thinking. He was perky the day before the surgery and ok a while after, it was these past few days (since Sunday actually) that we saw a, I dunno, the bladder stuff seemed to be getting better, no infectiosn present or anything, but his mod, morale and energy just kept going downhill...

The doctoer was saying that he assumed Kidneys last Tuesday, prior to the surgery. He did not tell us, not to worry us or anything. After the surgery he checked the dog out and had his doubts about but ultimatley decided those symptoms were gone.

Today he told my mom (who called from work and let him know what was going on) to take him in asap, and to leave work. Which she did, and this is when he said he suspects Kidney failure of some kind.

Now his hypothesis is that having the bladder that full of rocks & urine pushed some of the urine into the kidneys causing kidney damage, but he is not 100% sure.

We called late this afternoon and were told the dog perked up a bit and growled and tried biting the nurses (which is normal for him, he hates everyone), but gets along with the vet great. The vet said they'll sedate him tonight and then take samples of blood and put in an IV. He'll monitor him tonight and have the blood results back tomorrow. However his initial prognosis (he used his much less hgh tech machine) was far from good and warned us we may have to fear the worst, as he is starting to a little bit (although this was before the perky episode of this afternoon) so as of now, who knows.

I must admit we were happy he tried to bite as it shows some fight in him.

Anyways, my own personal feeling is very positive. I'm not feeling as if he is in any danger today (and it's the first time I feel that way since the surgery). I personnally feel that if it was kidney failure, he would have died days ago. I mean kidneys shut down very fast, so for him to go a week without any treatments for that indicates to me (personally) that it is not total failure... Maybe a form of Kidney disease, but we can treat that so I'm hoping for that!

I am just hoping everything is alright. We have a lot of people thinking and caring for him, as well as many many prayers going for him aswell. Plus, the nurse told us that the vet has a very soft spot for Stanley, for whatever reason and they cannot figure it out cause he's a mean little puppy! lol

We got a kick out of that, but we have all teh confidence in the world and trust the vet so much that we know he will do everything possible (heck he's going home for supper and coming right back to the hospital and treat Stanley, which does not happen often apparantly!) and he'll make sure our pup gets as good a treatment as possible, and he'll do everything he can for him!

In the meanwhile, thank you all again. I can't thank you guys enough!
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Only just caught this thread. What a poor poor puppy. I hope all goes well and we're all sending huge hugs your way. :smt052
arwrestling
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Well today the vet informed us that it was too early to tell how the IV treatment is going, but he mentionned that Stanley did not perk up much and is still not eating or drinking on his own. However, he is stronger today and was able to walk without falling over (which he's been doing the last few days, he could not even walk). Overall the vet said prognosis still isn't great, but he's being Cautious... That is his prognosis is at a Cautious stage, rather than the poor prognosis he got yesterday, which is better.

My mom is gonna go spend the afternoon with him today and the vet said he'll keep him on IV treatment until at least the end of the weekend. So if the vet think that Stan will be able to make it until then, it is more comforting news than lately, however we still don't know anything for sure.

I have a lot of prayers going out to him from many many people, so keep them coming guys. I know he is strong enough to make it!

Thanks again for the support.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >