View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Well I believe organic food is worth the extra cost! I mean all the health benefits from eating organically are infinite. Ok my food bill does come to about £350.00 a week for my family of 5 but I think its worth it!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 12:33 PM
EXTRA COST!!!!!! With that food bill Roxy, you'd need a re-morgage to foot your food bill.

I'm sorry, I've always been doubtful about the use of the word "organic". There was an article in the Daily Mail not so long ago about how old food is before it reaches the shelves.I think a few pesticides will be the least of our worries. Unless you've grown or farmed your food yourself, only then can you assure that it's organic.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

16-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Well we are all entitled to our opinions Wolfie even if yours are not based on solid facts.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 12:48 PM
That's very true Roxy, we are all entitled to our opinions, as I am mine.

Unless you have grown or farmed your own food, how can you be 100% sure that it is totally organic? because the label says it is. If food is kept in some type of storage, then surely the 'organic' foods would of rotted within days. Some of our foods take months to get onto the shelves
Meg
Supervisor

16-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by mr.leo
Just thinking about organic food is it any better for you than the mass produced food that we all consume everyday
Mr Leo Yes I am certain the organic food I buy is better for me and it certainly tastes better. It does not cost a lot more either, I don't buy any convenience foods (except canned fish) and make my own bread (in batches then frozen). I know the vegetables are organic because I can see them in the fields around me and buy them at the farmers markets or WI. I appreciate not everyone has the advantage of living in an area surrounded by organic farms and it must make a big difference to the cost and freshness of the produce. The veg often have the odd caterpillar, a good indication that they are organic. I can also see the organic beef on the hoof at the farm who supply the butcher, and the chickens who supply the eggs are running about down the road. I make a lot of soup too,and believe me leek and potato or mushroom make with organic veg tastes a whole lot different to any other..served with a homemade granary roll..a meal fit for a king. The other thing about organic food/farming is it preserves the the amazing diversity of wildlife, the wild untreated meadows around here are teeming with wild flowers, birds and insects. My house may not be up to much and money short but I would not swap my wild healthy haven and organic riches for anyones millions.
Ps. Live alone now but people still come here to eat and I fed a family this way too.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Mini, in my opinion, that is the best organic food that you can get, not one that has an 'organic' label on it, sat on a supermarket shelf.

I grew up with home grown produce, and meat was bought from a local butcher, and eggs came from a family friend who used to have his own chickens. All my meals were cooked from scratch, using things my Dad had grown himself.
Meg
Supervisor

16-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie
Mini, in my opinion, that is the best organic food that you can get, not one that has an 'organic' label on it, sat on a supermarket shelf.
I grew up with home grown produce, and meat was bought from a local butcher, and eggs came from a family friend who used to have his own chickens. All my meals were cooked from scratch, using things my Dad had grown himself.
Is that why you are such 'a big strong Wolfie' Wolfie It is such a shame more children don't know what that way of life is like or how good real fresh food is
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Mini

I buy as much as possible from a farm shop not far from me. Meat, potatoes, eggs and some veg.

Can't beat real organic food
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2004, 10:10 AM
I eat as much organic food as i can(very picky eater unfortunately,and i can't afford to be)And i do think it tastes(or some things do)quite different,spring water(better in glass bottles) or filtered water is generally better than mineral water(although mineral has the advantage of being regulated whereas spring does not)I do think processed food contributes to many health problems and far too many of our children nowadays eat it constantly but have to say i love a mc d's now and again and a bar of chocolate or ten (i know i shouldn't)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2