Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2005, 09:17 PM
i have tropical fish you need to make sure theres the right ph balance
but whach that the fish you buy are comuntie as thay will kill each other and that the the tank is not near the window as you get an algie bild up in you tank
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Yes, they're not too difficult - you just need patience to get them going. You can buy stuff to accelerate the balancing process, but over three weeks you can put the rocks and plants in and let them mature before you add any fish.

Then add only a few of your chosen fish per week until you reach the limit for your tank size.

Also, take into account the running costs - the heating is probably the most expensive, but this really depends on how warm the room is. A tank in a cold room will take more heating.

I once calculated that it cost me £16 a month in electricity to run my 30" tank.
min_tbs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I used to work at a place that sold tropical fish. Quite a few people (customers) got bored of cleaning there tanks though and wanted to get rid of them!. (I was there for 3 years though!).
Personally I think they are nice and relaxing to look at
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 11:17 PM
We've got two tanks running at the moment as our guppies went on a breeding spree and I can't stop them!!.....lol.

We did buy some Siamese fighter fish, but they were quite nasty and kept nipping the tails of the guppies and Molly's, we had 2 female and one male (as advised) but the chap in the aquatic center did say sometimes they can be a bit nippy.......so they went to live with my OH friend who has a separate tank for them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2