View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 03:59 AM
Sarcoptic mite causes itching and hair loss, most usually caused by contact with an infected animal (fox) This mite is zoonotic and causes scabies in people

Demodex causes hair loss and any itching is caused by a secondary infection. This mite is present in all dogs and only causes a problem if the dogs immunity is effected by some other cause.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 05:22 AM
if its a really old dog it might well be demodex (not contagious) biut the other type is
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Wembley has been scratching a lot today, and I have had to stop him chewing himself at times. He has a small scab on his head, but other than that, nothing.

He has the vet again on Monday morning, will he be okay until then? It says in the books I have that home remedies can make it worse so shall I wait, he won't be on his own at all tomorrow so can keep an eye on him. Does this sound like mites causing mange?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 07:43 PM
No not really, but it will need a scrape to be sure what is causing it - well that is not true actually, skin scrape may help but skin conditions are probably the most common cause for a visit to the vet and probably the most difficult to give an accurate diagnoses.
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok, will see what they say on Monday. Thanks

Sorry for hijacking thread
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2